NEurope
david.dakota

The Android Thread

If you can find a microfiber sleeve that fits your phone, you can do without cases and screen protectors, and obsessively clean the smudges with it when the urge hits

Mass effect infiltrator and NBA Jam only 69p in the play store, get them while you still can!

The longest day deals:

Apps 99p: https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/promotion_2012_06_20_LongestDayDeals

Films 99p: https://play.google.com/store/movies/collection/promotion_2010_06_12_longestday

wow thanks! no intention of playing inflirtrator again (already played on ipod) just for a bigger screen, but NBA Jam yes please.

@Ike I'm a stickler for pristine screens, I really would hate to have scratches and blemishes on them. My top tip is to get into the habit of keeping your phone in one pocket, keys (the usual culprit for scratches) in another. Far better then any screen protector.

Haha I do this as well. works a charm. although most phones come with gorilla glass these days so that should protect you from most would be scratches.

Knew I should have probably waited before getting a tablet. Oh well.

Looking forward to getting Jelly Bean, although I've only had ICS for a few months.

No word on Google Music being released over here yet?

I thought it was quietly introduced alongside Play?

I'm quite tempted by the Nexus but would like to see/touch it in the flesh.

It's still US only. Since the Nexus is supposed to be heavily connected to the Play store they really should sort it out. You can access it early by using a VPN but I don't think you can buy anything since you need a valid American card and address (haven't tried myself though).

I caved and ordered a Nexus 7 :woops: They are giving you £15 credit to spend in the play store and a free move (Transformers Dark Moon) which sweetened the deal. July is going to be expensive :weep:

If they don't want to bring Google Music over here, they should integrate Spotify into the Google Play systems instead.

I'll see if I can put together a guide on how to get it working later.

My contract runs out on the 25th but really don't know what I'm going to do next.

HTC One S and X's battery life worry me, and there's something about the S3 I don't like, that and they are very large for my little hands. And I don't know if I really want to pay loads more than I currently am (£15 a month thanks to cashback). Would only go to £25 if it was a phone I was desperate for.

Tempted to stick with my Desire for a bit and go SIM only until something really tempts me. Would kinda like an iPhone but I do love android and it would be a shame to lose all i've accumulated in the last two years.

Something NEW. Something that won't be totally out of date at the end of the contract. Something which has a battery that lasts! Something that is a clear improvement on my Desire! Something I can transfer all my apps etc. to easily.

Id hold out for the Razr Maxx HD if possible.

I have the original Maxx with a recent ICS upgrade and i can't stress enough how satisfied i am with it. I can only imagine how good the successor will be.

http://www.i-programmer.info/news/83-mobliephone/4441-the-four-patents-that-apple-used-against-galaxy-nexusa-programmer-reads-the-patents.html

Galaxy Nexus banned in the US because of those patents.

These patents are worded in extremely complex ways simply to confuse judges but they essentially mean:

- Predictive Text.

- Automatically making URLs into links.

- Using a touch screen to unlock a device.

- A search engine that uses different sources.

Something NEW. Something that won't be totally out of date at the end of the contract. Something which has a battery that lasts! Something that is a clear improvement on my Desire! Something I can transfer all my apps etc. to easily.

I don't think battery life is a problem if you buy another battery for the phone. Then you can swap out easily whenever the phone runs out.

http://www.i-programmer.info/news/83-mobliephone/4441-the-four-patents-that-apple-used-against-galaxy-nexusa-programmer-reads-the-patents.html

Galaxy Nexus banned in the US because of those patents.

These patents are worded in extremely complex ways simply to confuse judges but they essentially mean:

- Predictive Text.

- Automatically making URLs into links.

- Using a touch screen to unlock a device.

- A search engine that uses different sources.

It's ridiculous really to get judges that know very little about what they are making judgements on with the power to ban devices like that. Apple really are only in it for the money.

I don't think battery life is a problem if you buy another battery for the phone. Then you can swap out easily whenever the phone runs out.

That doesn't apply to the HTC One X.

Can you not remove the back for that phone? That sucks...

So I'll have my hands (finally) on my S3 tomorrow. What do I need to do / download / set up to get the full experience? aka, app recommendations?

That doesn't apply to the HTC One X.

Exactly my problem with it. If it had a removable battery I'd get it with no hesitation.

So I'll have my hands (finally) on my S3 tomorrow. What do I need to do / download / set up to get the full experience? aka, app recommendations?

3G Watchdog, Dolphin Browser, are useful/musts apart from the obvious stuff like;

Instagram and such.