NEurope
david.dakota

The Android Thread

2 minutes ago, Julius said:

Looking up the A54, it's RRP is £450, so in that price range on Android it might also be worth considering a Pixel 7a (the "budget" version of the 7), which has the same RRP.

Because of how weird Google is and the timing of their budget releases (~6 months after their standard and Pro releases), you could probably even get a Pixel 7 for a little bit more if you missed around? But the 7a (and previous 'a' revisions for the Pixel) are some of the best bang for your buck, so definitely one worth taking a look at to see if it vibes with you and what you're looking for :peace:

Fellow Pixel person here, have been for a while too (stock Android for me >>> all other Android experiences I've tried), and while I love the camera and prefer Android to my (admittedly dated) experiences with iOS, I absolutely agree that these days it's more of a use case/preference thing rather than one being outright better than the other.

I think Apple has a far tighter ecosystem of hardware and software (because, well, walled garden and all that), but if you want your phone to do more than just be a phone and basically a portable computer, having that option with Android is a really attractive prospect. And the Pixel in particular definitely has the best built-in post-processing software of any phone camera out there. 

I'm toying with the idea of upgrading to an iPhone this year for a change because my 6 Pro seems keen to try to off itself and I also kind of just want to try something a bit new. I haven't had an iPhone since the 6S and I'm not particularly allegiant to either "side", but I think the big tipping point for me this year is probably that USB-C is coming to iPhone so I won't need to buy a bunch more cables if I do make the swap. 

Plus, if I'm not a fan after a few weeks, I guess I can always send it back :laughing:

I did look at the 7a - I like how small it is, and Google products are generally quite swish. However, I don't really like the look of the back, and it doesn't have an expandable memory slot, and only has 128GB of storage? That's less than i have/use now, so it would be a bit of a downgrade.

Currently looking for a new phone (the power button fell off my Moto, amongst other things, maybe [mention=2521]drahkon[/mention] had a point), and the current state of mobile phones is a bit weird. They are all essentially identical now. Sure, you get a bit more brightness with this one, and a few more RAMS with this one, but for day to day use, it doesn't matter all that much. I get that there is more of a difference between a £1500 phone and a £200 one, but for phones in the same price range....you could pick one at random and it would be fine? Trying to look for daylight between the various models, but all the reviews are full of weird fanboys in the comment section saying how this chipset is absolutely trash, or a 25W charger is an embarrassment and you'd be a fool to get this one etc.  I think I might settle on the Samsung A54, but I will probably seek one out in the flesh before I buy, as it's a bit larger than phones i've owned previously, so I want to make sure it doesn't make me feel like a tiny-handed twat.

I just bought a new phone over a week ago that should be with me soon. Bought the just released Xiaomi Poco F5 off AliExpress for £250.

It takes a bit of time to come from China but I see no reason than going anything other than this route from now on, for the money it's basically unbeatable for the spec. I did the same thing a few years back with the Poco F3 and that cost the same back then, and it's been a great phone.

If you don't mind going the AliExpress route then you can save a lot. The same phone sold on the UK Xiaomi store costs over £200 more, and you never get customs charges in my experience (ordered relatives a few phones this way too). It's basically the same spec as a £500+ phone from other brands, and most phones are basically made in China now anyway.

I just bought a new phone over a week ago that should be with me soon. Bought the just released Xiaomi Poco F5 off AliExpress for £250.

It takes a bit of time to come from China but I see no reason than going anything other than this route from now on, for the money it's basically unbeatable for the spec. I did the same thing a few years back with the Poco F3 and that cost the same back then, and it's been a great phone.

If you don't mind going the AliExpress route then you can save a lot. The same phone sold on the UK Xiaomi store costs over £200 more, and you never get customs charges in my experience (ordered relatives a few phones this way too). It's basically the same spec as a £500+ phone from other brands, and most phones are basically made in China now anyway.
Yeah but then all your data and secrets go to the Chinese government, rather than Google or Apple. No thank you!

I ended up buying the Pixel 7a.

I preferred almost everything about the Samsung Galaxy A54, except for....the phone apparently doesn't lay flat on a table because the camera lenses protrude out on one side only, so the phone wobbles around. That may seem like a tiny thing, but i often will lay my phone plat on the desk in front of me, and I don't see how that wouldn't make it unusable in that state. Such a weird design choice.

Anyway, my Pixel arrived, and it's pretty good so far. Obviously i've yet to fill it up with much, so the tiny amount of storage isn't an issue yet. The camera is fastastic of course. I'm a sucker for a slo-mo video, and the slo-mo on this thing is incredible!

Did Android TV change to Google TV? I have a sony bravia in the living room still running the android startup but the new one i bought is now Google TV.

Been needing ot buy a new phone for a while now. Been looking at the new Xperia since my phone right now is a Xperia XZ and its getting kinda old. I'm just used ot the interface. Might considder getting a Google phone depending on what one is cheeper.

4 hours ago, martinist said:

Did Android TV change to Google TV? I have a sony bravia in the living room still running the android startup but the new one i bought is now Google TV

I would assume so. Google has phased out the Android name in all but the OS itself. 

• Like 1