NEurope
david.dakota

The Android Thread

Where's the cheapest place to buy a new phone handset from? I'm thinking if I go with Giffgaff's sim only deal with unlimited texts + data for £10 a month...then based on a monthly contract of £30, that you're locked into for 24months, it's cheaper if I can buy the handset for less than £480. And I'm not locked into the same contract for such a long time. I'm basing this on getting either a One X or an SIII.

Well, one thing with Samsungs now is that they're starting to get the same price increases as the iPhone (I think the S3 is on much higher contracts than the One X).

The One X is on Amazon for £439.99 (or £10 more for the grey). There's also Simply Electronics which has it for £389.95, but I've never heard of them.

Edited by Cube

There's also Simply Electronics which has it for £389.95, but I've never heard of them.

Be careful with them, they are based in Hong Kong (I believe they ship from there as well). I know someone who had some issues with them but can't remember what exactly. Something to do with VAT I think.

Ah, so you'll probably have to pay around £80 import costs on it, making it more expensive and it taking a lot longer to arrive. It will also likely be a problem if it becomes faulty.

So here I am back once again for some tech support; tonight I made an mp3 for a ringtone, wanted to put it on my phone(htc desire hd) which has a cradle that charges off mains, but also a hardwired cable that is usb. Plugged into comp whilst on mains, selected disk drive mode, but comp didn't see it. Tried disconnecting mains, and a combination thereof, still no luck. Decided as I have a USB reader I'll just remove the microSD and write to it, so I went into phone menus, unmounted, then went to remove the SD(had some issues with it springing back out proper), put it in usb reader, copied what I wanted over, put it back in phone aaaaaaaaaand....

Nothing. It definitely seems to be fit despite the springing issues, and my comp still sees it in usb reader so not like totally corrupt or anything, just my phone seems a bit reluctant to actually see it. Anybody know why it would have suddenly happened? :(

(cradle is a bit dodgy/loose for connection but the orange light was on to show charge so connection appeared to be made)

Edited by Rummy

I found this, not sure if it will help.

Your problem suggests that this is the most likely cause:

Make sure that the door to the SD card slot is correctly on. Look on the inside of the door and you will notice two little flanges - one should sit on the SD Card and the other on the SIM card when the door is correctly fitted onto the phone. Without these flanges sitting on the cards sometimes not enough pressure is placed on the cards to ensure that the correctly seated and thus able to be read.

Have you rebooted the phone after putting the SD card back in?

Have you rebooted the phone after putting the SD card back in?

Yeah I had. Then I got fed up, took the battery out and left it overnight, put it back in this morning(SD was in all the time) and turned it on; it works. So bizarre. Though @Sexual Chocolate's quote might shed light, my sim/sd cover is loose, comes off all the time. Think something must have broke or worn, but I can't tell what as it holds a bit but not as strong as before. Still, I didn't do anything this morning to make it suddenly pressure the SD or anything, so I'm going to assume the phone was having a moody evening.

Having a slight problem with my mobile internet on the Galaxy. It keeps loading the same webpage as if it's on a timer or something. I come back after whatever and open the browser and one window opens, but this other page also opens without me doing anything. Anyone got any advice?

Have you gone into the internet app through applications > killed off the program and restarted it then? Also maybe give the cache a wipe as well.

Good news about google maps being available offline, select the size of map you want to download and bobs your uncle, can be used with navigation as well.

Is there a reasonably high level, value for money android phone atm? Or should I just say fuck it and buy an S3?

Is there a reasonably high level, value for money android phone atm? Or should I just say fuck it and buy an S3?

I love my S2 and just upgraded to ICS. Pretty much the same sort of deal as my mates new S3 except cheaper contract from what we can gather.

Which reminds me I need to moan at Orange some more as I've still not got the ICS update.

Which reminds me I need to moan at Orange some more as I've still not got the ICS update.

I've upgraded, I did so the other day, have you plugged your phone to your computer via kies? You should be able to upgrade.

I thought that ICS had better battery life, finding it's much, much worse. Though that's the only critism.

Nah when the upgrade was released Orange announced it was for non-NFC versions. When I asked them when we should expect it they didn't answer.

Nah when the upgrade was released Orange announced it was for non-NFC versions. When I asked them when we should expect it they didn't answer.

Ah I see! That would explain why I can upgrade and you can't. That sucks!

:nono:

Over the last few days I've been trying to get myself a new contract for a Galaxy S3 but everytime I get declined. I've checked my credit report and its totally fine and yet I've been turned down 3 times now. I don't get it.

My Dad tried to buy the same deal in his name and he was turned down too - even though he's a small business owner that keeps up with his mortgage and car payments. Like, wut? Do they not want our money?

Over the last few days I've been trying to get myself a new contract for a Galaxy S3 but everytime I get declined. I've checked my credit report and its totally fine and yet I've been turned down 3 times now. I don't get it.

My Dad tried to buy the same deal in his name and he was turned down too - even though he's a small business owner that keeps up with his mortgage and car payments. Like, wut? Do they not want our money?

Sometimes when you keep trying for credit successively you essentially get 'blocked out'. Not sure if it's long-term or not but this did happen when I was helping sell sofas, but if it got to that point it was passed on to someone who knew what they were doing.

Doesn't explain your dad but maybe yours? Perhaps find out which credit agency they're dealing with and contact them directly asking why you've been refused (as the company you're ordering with probably won't be able to tell you for DPA reasons).

Not specifically Android, but any tips on applying a screen protector. Haven't tried it before.

Not specifically Android, but any tips on applying a screen protector. Haven't tried it before.

Here's my perfect guide to screen protectors:

1. Gently place the top two corners in the perfect positions.

2. Gently place your finger flat horizontally across the top of the protector.

3. Slowly move your finger down, pressing hard.

4. Spot that there are bubbles or it isn't perfectly straight.

5. Peel it back gently.

6. Repeat steps 1-5 two or three times.

7. Rage

8. Screw up the screen protector.

9. Throw it away and do without.

@Ike I'm a stickler for pristine screens, I really would hate to have scratches and blemishes on them. My top tip is to get into the habit of keeping your phone in one pocket, keys (the usual culprit for scratches) in another. Far better then any screen protector.