NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

Part of the problem is that the ones that have bee released in Japan are taking ages to arrive to the West, if at all.

I've seriously been considering getting myself a Vita due to the amount of RPGs on that system. Sure there are no new ones that spring to mind, but the back catalogue of PSOne and PSP RPGs is immense! Some guy on Neogaf posted a picture of his Vita and had Final Fantasy I-XI on it, all available on the PSN store. :grin:

Yeah, playing FFVII, FFIV PSP and FFIX on the Vita is really nice! :)

Shame that it's the crappy PS1 versions of FFV and FFVI on the PSN store though...

Would kill to have the proper SNES versions on the 3DS (or the Wii U Gamepad!)

Edited by Dcubed

I couldn't really ask for better RPGs than a Dragon Quest, an Etrian Odyssey and an old-style, Final Fantasy-type RPG (Bravely Default). However, as others have said, the issue is whether they're localised or not. I'm pretty hopeful about Dragon Quest VII as it's not yet out in Japan (and Nintendo have been very supportive of Dragon Quest). I'm not too worried about Bravely Default, as it hasn't been out long and will take a while to localise. The one I'm most doubtful about is Etrian Odyssey IV, as it has been out a while in Japan, and II & III didn't get released here.

But like Hero-of-Time, I'm very interested in the Vita, I just don't think I can buy it for back-catalogue only (partly because I get very confused between what's a PSOne, PSP or digital Vita title!)

Hopefully the RPG situation will pick up (for both handhelds!) It's still early days. RPGs take a long time to even make in the first place, then they take time to translate into English, then even longer for Europe.

I couldn't really ask for better RPGs than a Dragon Quest, an Etrian Odyssey and an old-style, Final Fantasy-type RPG (Bravely Default). However, as others have said, the issue is whether they're localised or not. I'm pretty hopeful about Dragon Quest VII as it's not yet out in Japan (and Nintendo have been very supportive of Dragon Quest). I'm not too worried about Bravely Default, as it hasn't been out long and will take a while to localise. The one I'm most doubtful about is Etrian Odyssey IV, as it has been out a while in Japan, and II & III didn't get released here.

But like Hero-of-Time, I'm very interested in the Vita, I just don't think I can buy it for back-catalogue only (partly because I get very confused between what's a PSOne, PSP or digital Vita title!)

Hopefully the RPG situation will pick up (for both handhelds!) It's still early days. RPGs take a long time to even make in the first place, then they take time to translate into English, then even longer for Europe.

I reckon that EO4 will get a (belated) release thanks to Ghostlight. Those guys weren't around (or at least weren't publishing Atlus games) when EO2 & 3 were released originally and I'm sure that they won't let this one slip by them!

Bravely Default is the one I'm worried about. S-E seem to be completely inept at the moment and don't seem to want to localise anything themselves that isn't FF13 related (hell even KHDDD had its marketing and distribution handled by NOE - and they still couldn't be bothered to localise the text into Italian or Spanish!). I'm sure that Nintendo will take care of DQ7's western release and hopefully DQM3DS as well, but I'm not so sure about BD...

Soul Hackers is also one I'm wary about too. EO4 is a much more important game than SH and Ghostlight can only do so much (they're struggling just to get DSOverclocked released!)

Edited by Dcubed

(they're struggling just to get DSOverclocked released!)

Indeed they are.

On another note Naruto: Powerful Shippuden is going to be released on the 8th of March 2013 for Europe. It'll also be released in the same month for NA but a date is yet to be revealed.

This game has caught my interest when I first saw it a while back, looks fun.

Just a few days left until the date I'm considering picking up a JP 3DS and the hacking community has gone wild over the progress people are making and how it's looking like a softmod rather than one that requires a chip or cart..

I'll probably still take the plunge on a JP 3DS, but I guess I'll opt in for the little bit more expensive XL unit. That way, if the 3DS does get cracked and the region lock gets undone, I at least have the new 3DS unit.

Just a few days left until the date I'm considering picking up a JP 3DS and the hacking community has gone wild over the progress people are making and how it's looking like a softmod rather than one that requires a chip or cart..

I'll probably still take the plunge on a JP 3DS, but I guess I'll opt in for the little bit more expensive XL unit. That way, if the 3DS does get cracked and the region lock gets undone, I at least have the new 3DS unit.

The guys are claiming that they're not gonna release it though and that it would be very easily patchable. Same thing happened to the DSi where EA's Sudoku DSiWare game had a save file exploit that gave kernel access, but the game was quickly pulled, patched and a system update was released . Nobody has successfully hacked the DSi since and of course, the 3DS auto-downloads system updates; so you couldn't choose not to download it anyway...

They claim that there's an exploit in a game that is available at retail and on the eShop (but currently the said exploit only works on the physical version)

I'd bet on Mario Kart 7 being the culprit...

I'd just import a Japanese unit, that way you don't have to be paranoid about firmware updates killing the softmod etc. Plus full access to the Japanese eShop.

The guys are claiming that they're not gonna release it though and that it would be very easily patchable. Same thing happened to the DSi where EA's Sudoku DSiWare game had a save file exploit that gave kernel access, but the game was quickly pulled, patched and a system update was released . Nobody has successfully hacked the DSi since and of course, the 3DS auto-downloads system updates; so you couldn't choose not to download it anyway...

They claim that there's an exploit in a game that is available at retail and on the eShop (but currently the said exploit only works on the physical version)

Yeah, sounds like it's going to play out like the Sony cat and mouse game. They say they wont release it but as the scene knows all too well, it'll be released and that'll kick off the patches.

I'd just import a Japanese unit, that way you don't have to be paranoid about firmware updates killing the softmod etc. Plus full access to the Japanese eShop.

This is definitely true, good shout. Can't believe I didn't think about the firmware updates, especially considering I did all this stuff with my PSP.

Plus, I have it easier than importing, so it'd be good to get one ASAP.

Yeah, sounds like it's going to play out like the Sony cat and mouse game. They say they wont release it but as the scene knows all too well, it'll be released and that'll kick off the patches.

It's probably not that bad. More likely closer to the DSi security hole (that was quickly closed off for good), than the PSP (which was critically flawed from day-1 as it was stupidly able to run unsigned code off the memory stick). They admit that it's easily patchable and that they're using a buffer overflow save file exploit to get system access (the same method that was used on DSi and was quickly closed off)

The fact that system updates are done automatically and are mandatory makes the situation even more difficult for hackers than the DSi was...

Well let's not be too unfair to the PSP here, hacking it from day 1 was a tedious and incredibly dangerous process, much like the DS was. It took quite a bit of work to run unsigned code, until the custom firmwares became mainstream.

But as of 2 years ago, it was completely fucked. They worked out the key and could sign their own stuff, allowing easy porting of my favourite part of the PSP, lite custom firmwares.

Either way, if it helps unlock anything to do with the region lock, I'll applaud it and welcome the cat and mouse chase. Very interested to see if the result bares any resemblance to what's going on with the Vita downloadable titles..

the 3DS auto-downloads system updates; so you couldn't choose not to download it anyway...

Actually when the 3DS downloads an update it'll ask you whether or not you want to install it, if you select no it'll ask you again the next time you open up the 3DS. Also if it's a retail game then as long as you don't install any 3DS updates you don't have to worry about not being able to run an exploit. Bit annoying but it's worth it if it leads to region free games.

I was also considering getting a Japanese 3DS XL since I'd be more likely to play it at home but there aren't enough Japanese games for me to justify a purchase.

Arrrgh fuckity buggery. I bought Super Mario Bros by mistake, I meant to get Lost Levels.

Arrrgh fuckity buggery. I bought Super Mario Bros by mistake, I meant to get Lost Levels.

LOL. Unlucky.

I still think it's a kick in the nuts that you have to buy these games again if you already have them on your Wii. For shame, Nintendo! :nono:

Would kill to have the proper SNES versions on the 3DS (or the Wii U Gamepad!)

Yup. It would be awesome to play all the SNES classics on a handheld. I'm just hoping they get the GamePad sorted to do such things, as I can't see them doing it for the 3DS. Hell, i'm still waiting for the GBA to be added to the VC!

Edited by Hero-of-Time
Automerged Doublepost

Yup. It would be awesome to play all the SNES classics on a handheld. I'm just hoping they get the GamePad sorted to do such things, as I can't see them doing it for the 3DS. Hell, i'm still waiting for the GBA to be added to the VC!

They've already confirmed that you'll be able to play Wii U VC games on the Gamepad when the Wii U service launches. Iwata mentioned this specifically in the last Nintendo Direct.

It's just a long and gruelling wait until it actually launches now. I hunger to play the likes of DKC1-3 (the proper SNES versions!), Mario 64, Super Mario RPG, Wind Waker and Wave Race 64 in bed!

Edited by Dcubed

I hunger to play the likes of DKC1-3 (the proper SNES versions!), Mario 64, Super Mario RPG, Wind Waker and Wave Race 64 in bed!

link+thinking.png

the-wind-waker-wii-u.png

tumblr_mf12o8R7WU1qk4x9fo1_500.gif

Received the money I intended to buy my 3DS with, but Animal Crossing is suffering from stock problems again D:

Fuck it, gonna order it any way and pick up Monsters: Terry's Wonder Land

EDIT: Ordered with Bravely Default instead and the total for both console and game was £1 less than buying just the console in the UK from Amazon. Fucking love you, improving exchange rate.

Gonna pick up Terry's Wonder Land from Book Off second hand instead, it's currently around half the price Amazon Japan are charging for it new.

Edited by Debug Mode

Received the money I intended to buy my 3DS with, but Animal Crossing is suffering from stock problems again D:

Could you not just get the digital version?

Could you not just get the digital version?

I could, the 7 Eleven 2 minutes away from me has codes with exclusive 7 Eleven items included, but who wants a digital version when you could have a nice box to display?

I'm going to be honest though, the temptation is too strong and I may just end up going digital :hmm:

Because why wouldn't you want the game to be on the system at all times? It's the perfect digital game.

Because why wouldn't you want the game to be on the system at all times? It's the perfect digital game.

But muh nice box D:

EDIT: Ordered with Bravely Default instead and the total for both console and game was £1 less than buying just the console in the UK from Amazon. Fucking love you, improving exchange rate.

Gonna pick up Terry's Wonder Land from Book Off second hand instead, it's currently around half the price Amazon Japan are charging for it new.

can I ask where your getting the japanese 3DS from @ that price please?

I want to pick up one myself.

Japansese 3DS or 3DS XL?

can I ask where your getting the japanese 3DS from @ that price please?

I want to pick up one myself.

Japansese 3DS or 3DS XL?

Japanese 3DS XL. I got it from Amazon Japan as I'm currently here on an exchange program.

But, I know of an incredibly handy forwarding service that you can have your products from Japanese websites delivered to who will then ship it to your address. The site is called Tenso. I've not used it myself, but my friends have.

Amazon Japan allows you to use a foreign credit card (it also bills in your local currency if requested when confirming your order), but will not ship games outside of the country. So if you ship it to the address Tenso provides you with as part of your membership and you include your membership ID at the end of this address, Tenso will confirm when they have received it.

After that, you pay Tenso a usage fee (dependant on weight) and then the EMS shipping (also dependant on weight) and they will send it to your home address. Looking at the weight of the 3DS LL they provide on Amazon JP, and the rough weight of 2 games, you're probably looking at £30 or less for shipping.

EDIT: I used the word 'credit card' loosely. I'm personally using a Visa Debit card.

Japanese 3DS XL. I got it from Amazon Japan as I'm currently here on an exchange program.

But, I know of an incredibly handy forwarding service that you can have your products from Japanese websites delivered to who will then ship it to your address. The site is called Tenso. I've not used it myself, but my friends have.

Amazon Japan allows you to use a foreign credit card (it also bills in your local currency if requested when confirming your order), but will not ship games outside of the country. So if you ship it to the address Tenso provides you with as part of your membership and you include your membership ID at the end of this address, Tenso will confirm when they have received it.

After that, you pay Tenso a usage fee (dependant on weight) and then the EMS shipping (also dependant on weight) and they will send it to your home address. Looking at the weight of the 3DS LL they provide on Amazon JP, and the rough weight of 2 games, you're probably looking at £30 or less for shipping.

EDIT: I used the word 'credit card' loosely. I'm personally using a Visa Debit card.

thanks dude.

I have used Tenso before when ordering clothes from New Japan pro-wrestling shop!

thanks dude.

I have used Tenso before when ordering clothes from New Japan pro-wrestling shop!

Ah really? Sweet!

Well that further enforces my recommendation if any body else is interested in Japanese imports.

Has anyone else seen what is described in this listing?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NDS-Fire-Emblem-Shadow-Dragon-Brand-New-Factory-Sealed-UK-Version-/150973853916?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item2326be30dc

I know a few Wii and DS games of mine had this problem with the score on the side and it always annoyed me. So much so that I always sent them back for a new copy. :D

Anyone have any idea what causes this? I've never seen it on a PS3/PSP/360 game case, so it seems like it's exclusive to Nintendo games.