NEurope
Shorty

Google Street View extended to cover most of the UK

Go to Google Maps, then just drag the little man from the top right corner onto the street you want to view.

What he said, except it's top left.

Interesting:

Now, I live on a private road (It's absolutely not as cool as it sounds) so Google didn't come down our way to take photos. However, we're on a cross junction so the car took a snap as it went past, capturing most of the road as it went by anyway.

Kind of renders the whole 'don't do that road' bit pointless and faintly disappointing.

However, they also got a shot of the builder who went on to rebuild my path a few months later with his cool dog getting out the van. Dog win.

edit linkage.

'tis indeed the case. I think I've walked pretty nearby that area, seems my fantasies of bumping into the Sheffield crew were not so fantastic...

Remember seeing the google van drive up our road...you can't see my house as next doors tree is obscuring it...I live on a cul de sac and annoying it doesn't let you go to the end of it...so thats why you can't properly see my house.

The closest I've been is my usual shopping trip, which was to the Tescos just north. I walked so far (I lived on Whitham Road) because it's miles better (and bigger) then Somerfield.

myhousestreetview.jpg

they did this in Moniaive?!? I must have been in town when they came by. Here's my house anyway...

Finland has been covered too. I think this is going too far but this really isn't going to stop here. The whole world is like a big Big Brother scene...

Massive over reaction

I mean, really,What's the worst possible scenario you can imagine coming out of this?

Finland has been covered too. I think this is going too far but this really isn't going to stop here. The whole world is like a big Big Brother scene...

I fail to see how. Just like Google says, it's no different than walking down the street privacy wise

I saw an article on the BBC News Site of the SAS panicing because there are pictures of a military base or something on it, when its just the view from a public highway

The snap(s) around my house are all different. Looking at my house there is a lorry on the corner. Looking from my house up, the lorry isn't there.

The addresses i type in are not 100% accurate, teething problems i be guessing.

Remember that the Street View car is driving, so other vehicles could have moved too.

Just like Google says, it's no different than walking down the street privacy wise

Hmm I really don't see that that comment from Google can be an answer like "hey we just photographed every street in your country but don't worry it is just like the boy from next door seeing your house".

No not at all. The whole world can see my house and if I happened to pop up in some photo myself well that doesn't sound so bad it's just me and my face on the net without my permission.

Well in Finland we don't have religious persecution but think of some country that has (and there's many of them). What if the government of that kind of country doesn't like some religious people but they want to get rid of them. Now they can plan attacks to people's houses and see exactly where they live.

Well in Finland we don't have religious persecution but think of some country that has (and there's many of them). What if the government of that kind of country doesn't like some religious people but they want to get rid of them. Now they can plan attacks to people's houses and see exactly where they live.

Hahaha are you serious? You seriously think that a government will want to kill their citizens of a certain religion, and will use google maps to do it? "Shall we send a trained assassin to scope out this person? No lets just look at his house on google maps."

Get real.

No not at all. The whole world can see my house and if I happened to pop up in some photo myself well that doesn't sound so bad it's just me and my face on the net without my permission.

They blur all the faces anyway, and registration plates.

Well, if there religious, isn't it easier for them to be in their place of worship and get them all in once swing? Besides, how can you possibly determine their religion from seeing their house? To find their house, you need the address, and you could just go there anyway.

As for the thing about seeing a photo of you on the internet, faces (and registration/licence plates) are blurred out.

Talk about paranoid, jeez...

That's a point. And I presume many countries have some form of census so the government have access to all that kind of information anyway. Only benefit a picture would bring is if they have a dopey secret police.

Only benefit a picture would bring is if they have a dopey secret police.

Secret police who are so shit they have to rely on Google Street View? There's a sitcom in their somewhere... :laughing:

Its not like your own personal address is available on the internet, its only there if the person looking knows you live there..

I saw an article on the BBC News Site of the SAS panicing because there are pictures of a military base or something on it, when its just the view from a public highway

I loved the MoD's comment on it, which was basically: The information is widely available anyway. There's no harm having it on Street View.