N-Europe

Oscars 2010

ipaul

The idea that there is place where YOU are perceived as a negative individual fills me with a sense of incomprehensible horror and pity for the people who go there. Honest to Coolness.

I felt very cold in there.

*gets back into Gaggles Fridge*

There, much warmer! :)

Okay, there are films I seriously need to want to watch now. :grin:

Was up with my friend watching this doing our own predictions. He Beat me 14-11. Gah!

So pleased with Up! Generally pleased all round especially for Christopher Waltz who is the cutest thing ever. <3

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant believe the hurt locker won as many awards as it did. As im sure most of you can guess i like war films, and the hurt locker just wasnt that good. In my eyes inglorious should have won everything this year.

Commercial, yeah. Critical... meh, it wasn't that well received (the Oscars have nothing to do with critical acclaim). Also, this much I want you to explain: Why is it good? Don't give me "it won this" and "it sold that much", give me a reason.

I wouln't call myself passionate on the subject of titanic I just find people don't defend titanic that often.

I mean I totally believe I'm totally going to be having this conversation in ten years time about avatar!

but here goes...I'll just explain Why I felt titanic was the better movie to avatar at least.

I felt it was the ultimate film that men and women could enjoy. Ok most men won't admit it now but EVERYONE went to see that movie at the time and most people really enjoyed it. I realise of course this is highly generalising the sexes. avatar is still a manly action movie, made for fans of action movies and little else really. The main character was very tacked-on. At least in titanic you knew what kind of person Jack was and Rose. it had very good character development. Avatar had very little.

Titanic was excellent at appealing to everyone and won highest grossing movie, Avatar got it because it well.....looked good.

Might be hilarious to say titanic had the better story, but it defo Had the better acting, bringing me back to Jake sully and whoever played him..... nah, horribly forgettable, probably not his fault either but Basically he is cardboard, Even Sigourney has seen far better days. Characters were smeh.

I'm a big fan of Cameron movies , for me he always has that scene where you believe it's the final scene but no BAM a whole other action sequence etc. Also love this in music and videogames, just a personal taste that makes it feel all the more epic to me.I even love true lies for this. terminator 2 has it, aliens REALLY has it.

Avatar was the first one where I felt... hmm this is predictable, but I still liked it.

You can't really call titanic a predictable movie really, if you were watching it for the first time. it's hardly OUT there with it's ideas but almost everything in avatar I felt I had seen before.

Other thing, it's been almost 15 years... Has titanic REALLY dated that much?( bar celine dion of course) I'm not sure we'll be saying the same thing in 15 years about avatar.( except about leona lewis of course but thankfully I SEE YOU didn't make number 1 for ten years)

Titanic gets a lot of undeserved abuse I find. It's hardly bad movie.

Would you have given it a bad review? Literally telling people not to go see it because they won't like it?

I cant believe the hurt locker won as many awards as it did. As im sure most of you can guess i like war films, and the hurt locker just wasnt that good. In my eyes inglorious should have won everything this year.

Yeah, I'm surprised how many people touch themselves when talking about The Hurt Locker. Not that I thought it was bad.

Am I the only person in the Western World who still hasn't seen Avatar?

The Hurt Locker deserved what it got, as did Up - they're both awesome.

I am yet to see all three films you've mentioned.

He'll be so offended.

Oh well.

Google is such a taxing tool isn't it? :heh:

http://oscar.go.com/oscar-night/winners

And the fans are bitching? Christ. It's not as if they didn't win anything.

Am I the only person in the Western World who still hasn't seen Avatar?

The Hurt Locker deserved what it got, as did Up - they're both awesome.

no, i still havent bothered to watch it either. i may watch it on DVD sometime, i just look at it and think Starship Troopers. Now that was a film! :D

Delighted up won a award, loved that movie full of sentimentality

Hurt Locker won because it was directed by the Ex-Wife of Cameron, and they wanted a David vs Goliath type thing at the Oscars. Before the GG, everyone thought Up in the Air would be the front runner for the Oscar. So there you have it. This is why Hurt Locker won best Screenplay for whatever reason. It's a good film, but best movie of 2009? Not a chance.

And before people misinterpret me, Avatar didn't deserve to win Best Picture as well. Director yes, I doubt many Director's could do what Cameron did. But I digress, Tarantino was the one who got robbed, as per usual, that night.

Yeah, I'm surprised how many people touch themselves when talking about The Hurt Locker. Not that I thought it was bad.

Yeah it wasnt bad. It just wasnt good. I havent heard anyone in the forces really hype it up. Maybe because we can see it is a load of balls lol.

Was worth a watch but deffinatly not film of 2009.