NEurope
Platty

Save 6Music!

r-home-id-r6.png

So you must have all heard that the BBC are going to get rid of 6Music. Some of you may not give a damn about the radio station but personally I will be heartbroken if it goes.

It's the only good place to hear new music and find out about new artists. I have them to thank for getting me into a lot of the music I listen to today. They always play off the beat tracks from albums and have a good set of DJ's who know their stuff.

Why not get rid of utter tosh like 1xtra, radio3 and radio7? 6Music pulls in 700,000 listeners a week according to the EDP which is a lot more than these 3 stations.

I sent off a complaint and got a reply 10 minutes later saying:

Thank you for your email in response to the strategic review of the BBC's services.

BBC Management have made the proposals to the BBC's governing body, the BBC Trust. There is now a public consultation before any decisions are taken by the BBC Trust. It closes on May the 25th.

To take part in the public consultation you can visit the BBC Trust's website at bbc.co.uk/BBC Trust. Or you can write to the BBC Trust at 180 Great Portland Street, London W1W 5QZ. There is no need to enclose a stamped addressed envelope, or you can go online to bbc.co.uk/BBCTrust.

To read the proposals in full please visit the BBC's website at bbc.co.uk/aboutthebbc.

Thank you for contacting us and we hope you will take part in the public consultation.

Regards

BBC Complaints

hmmmm.

Below are some useful links if you wanna get involved and get our voices heard to save the best radio station out there (IMO).

Facebook group

http://bit.ly/bbc6music

Online petition

http://www.petition.fm/petitions/6musicasiannet/1000/

Complain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/forms

btw the asian radio station is going to, so sign up if you're passionate about that.

I've barely ever listened to it, but I was aware that it did try to be a bit more "edgy" than other stations and actually play some up-and-coming or more obscure stuff.

It's the best station on the waves. Absolutely amazing stuff. Sunday: Huey Morgan (yes, that Huey) followed by Jarvis 'fucking' Cocker. The mind and the universe buckle under the weight of their presence.

The depth of their knowledge and skill is really quite something, and makes weekend listening essential.

It's the best station on the waves. Absolutely amazing stuff. Sunday: Huey Morgan (yes, that Huey) followed by Jarvis 'fucking' Cocker. The mind and the universe buckle under the weight of their presence.

The depth of their knowledge and skill is really quite something, and makes weekend listening essential.

Sundays peaked when they had Steve Merchant's show, back in the day. That was a great listen, sad to see it go.

I signed the petition and such, easily the best station in the UK imoimo.

I'm glad to see the Asian station going because I've always disliked the name and how Indians and Pakistanis in this country have stolen the word Asian for themselves.

I'm glad to see the Asian station going because I've always disliked the name and how Indians and Pakistanis in this country have stolen the word Asian for themselves.

:laughing:

What were they called before? They've always been refered to as Asian, as far as I know.

:laughing:

What were they called before? They've always been refered to as Asian, as far as I know.

How about an America FM that only played music from South America?:p South Asian Network would have been fine for me!

How about an America FM that only played music from South America?:p South Asian Network would have been fine for me!

I meant what were Pakistanis and Indians called before they thieved the Asian term. ;)

I meant what were Pakistanis and Indians called before they thieved the Asian term. ;)

Pre-1947? Indians.

Edit: Too many tongues!

Pre-1947? Indians.:p

Haha. See, my Dad would probably throw a fit if he was called Indian, as he's Pakistani. They have a big rivalry...

Also, Platty, not sure if you looked at the signatures on that petition, but there's one a few further down from mine by a guy called Leon from Brighton. Is that Uncle_Buckman from these forums? I think it could be...although the age says he is 40, which I don't think he is, haha.

6-music going will be a dire shame. It's a decent station, great new music and all that. Not fussed on the Asian network.

If the BBC want to save money, get rid of Johnathan Ross (oh wait, he's going in the Summer saves about £5 mill). Scrap a few other presenters/programs as well. Why have CBBC/CBeebies on BBC 1 and 2. Whole Country is going Digital, so that saves money because there is a CBBC and a CBeebies channel. Anything decent on BBC 4 (minus Charlie Brooker, who can be easily moved to BBC 3 or BBC 2). If not, cancel that channel. I'm looking at logical savings, not the ones that anger people.

They are on about canning Top Gear (rumours atm). Hope they don't, it's the best thing to be shown on Sundays in my opinion.

I've signed the petition as well.

BBC4 is a pretty good channel for documentaries.

If the BBC is cutting back on its commercial arm, a BBC Natural History channel makes so much sense. The only reason why they don't repeat those series on Freeview (apart from the rare occasion) is so that they can rake the money in from the box sets and by selling the series to subscription channels.

It's sickening how the license fee goes into those documentaries, for them then to only be repeated on TV channels that aren't freely accessible to license holders. I've spent around £200 on BBC DVDs when I shouldn't have to.

I listen to 6Music almost every weekday, because my boss likes it at work.

I have been pleasantly surprised a few times when I heard some awesome artists on it: Postal Service, Joy Division, Sufjan Stevens, Smashing Pumpkins. But then, a couple of weeks later, I heard the same songs again and that cheapened my original reaction somewhat.

I listen to Radio 1 on the way to and from work, but it's not for the music. In fact, the music is just a painful interruption, Moyles and Mills' respective shows are often hilarious and make the journey much quicker. I think that's what 6Music is lacking to me, witty DJs to entertain me between the tunes.

As a side note, Shaun Keaveny sounds ridiculously similar to Vernon Kay.

Edited by Shorty

Oh god I hope Radio 6 survives, Radio 1 is a rickety six-track shack with audial nails jutting out of the walls.

Yeah I think that's what I don't like about it :heh: fortunately in the morning between 8.15 and 9 on my way in to work, they don't play that many songs, and on the way home there's "Oh! What's Occurring?" which is a quiz show that has a tendency to be absolutely hilarious followed quite shortly by the News.

When the music comes on, I normally switch to MP3s....

Ugh, I hate to see the BBC bending to pressure from idiots who can't see what good value it is compared to the shite you get with a commercial TV subscription. On the news they had some bellend from the Sun saying it didn't go far enough and they should cut everything apart from BBC 1, 2 and Radio 4. In other words "Cut everything apart from the things I like, bugger everyone else"....cock.

Anyway, out of the cuts 6music is definately the most painful. The BBC logic goes that Radio 1 and 2 can play some more alternative stuff to make-up for its loss. :hmm: Radio 1 still plays Nickleback FFS.

You should all check out Craig Charles' Funk and Soul show on....saturday nights? or Friday. I don't even like funk, but the show is amazing- the team are all genuine experts and their well of knowledge runs deep. Charles is a good presenter too, making the whole proceedings hugely entertaining.

That's what I love about 6. They can take you in to whole new areas of music with such assured skill that it leaves you so satisfied and full of the benefits. It's the radio 4 of pop music.

6-music going will be a dire shame. It's a decent station, great new music and all that. Not fussed on the Asian network.

If the BBC want to save money, get rid of Johnathan Ross (oh wait, he's going in the Summer saves about £5 mill). Scrap a few other presenters/programs as well. Why have CBBC/CBeebies on BBC 1 and 2. Whole Country is going Digital, so that saves money because there is a CBBC and a CBeebies channel. Anything decent on BBC 4 (minus Charlie Brooker, who can be easily moved to BBC 3 or BBC 2). If not, cancel that channel. I'm looking at logical savings, not the ones that anger people.

They are on about canning Top Gear (rumours atm). Hope they don't, it's the best thing to be shown on Sundays in my opinion.

I've signed the petition as well.

Doubtful, I think the rumors are actually about canning Top Gear magazine rather than the program, which would make more sense. Apparently it has about 350 million viewers worldwide so... doubt it would get the chop. Massive export and all that.

How about they stop doing the utterly pointless thing of sending news reporters across the world to do nothing but talk into a camera?

How about they stop doing the utterly pointless thing of sending news reporters across the world to do nothing but talk into a camera?

Somebody's been watching Newswipe.

Its funny you say that, across the water in the Americas the exact same can be said about the people of the oriental persuasion lol

Anyway, I'm not much of of a radio person. I listened to the asian (:p) network a couple of times but it was pretty shit to begin with. I'm really indifferent whether the stations stay or go to be honest. : peace:

Ugh, I hate to see the BBC bending to pressure from idiots who can't see what good value it is compared to the shite you get with a commercial TV subscription.

Good value my arse. I have a TV licencse for a house i visit maybe twice a month. And they expect me to have another TV licencse to allow me to have a TV in my room at work. Idont think its good value at all. Also you have to pay it 6 months in advance why? I dont pay my gas or electricity 6 months in advance. I woudnt have any problem with paying for the BBC but the system does need to be looked at.

I have a TV license even though our aerial doesn't work... just because they kept knocking on the door and having a go at us. Use the iPlayer about once a fortnight. All I'm really paying for is half an hour of radio a day.

It's an epic ripoff but the thing that pisses me off the most is the offensive way through which they enforce it.

I think Noel Edmund complained about that actually, the almost mafia like way they threaten you.

But yeah, tv license is a waste of time for myself. DVDs all the way.