tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

Recommended Posts

Cheers guys. I try to post a new photo every day and I've got enough gaming crap to last me years!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nabbed a cart of Parodius and a Super Gameboy off of eBay

bidding on a box of loose SNES carts atm but the price has really shot up Bleh >_<

also bidding on a copy of Pilotwings, Mario All Stars and a cart of Super Tennis.

Hopefully I end up with atleast two of them.

Edited by martinist
carts...not cards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still got some CEX credit left over after getting that PS3 yesterday so I'm thinking about using it on some retro games for my collection. Just need to decide now if I get a load of cheaper titles or go for one to two rarer games as I'd feel less guilty using credit than real money lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Still got some CEX credit left over after getting that PS3 yesterday so I'm thinking about using it on some retro games for my collection. Just need to decide now if I get a load of cheaper titles or go for one to two rarer games as I'd feel less guilty using credit than real money lol.

Nice. :D

I've been trading in stuff to CEX from my collection for months now - just PS2 games mostly, nothing too rare - and from the first lot I tended to go for £100 worth of new PS4 games I didn't have plus a collectable Wii game but then I thought, while that's all good I decided that for any future earned credit I would go more for collectable games etc that I possibly wouldn't justify buying otherwise. :)

So if it was me then I would go for the rarer games, get something you will play and that will keep hopefully its value as well. :peace:

I decided to go for boxed Nintendo Game & Watch units which are nice to have, can be used from time to time, a lot of them don't come up for sale at CEX very often and they will likely keep their value or go up in years to come. :smile:

But equally you could go for N64, SNES, Playstation, Dreamcast titles or whatever and actually get a decent amount of playtime out of them as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just listening to Giant Bomb chat about the latest Megaman announcements and they brought up Megaman Battle Network. I think I might have to track down a copy of the first game again. I remember really liking it when it first came out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Happenstance said:

Just listening to Giant Bomb chat about the latest Megaman announcements and they brought up Megaman Battle Network. I think I might have to track down a copy of the first game again. I remember really liking it when it first came out.

I played through it last year on the Wii U VC. I loved it back in the day and the game holds up really well.

Did you ever play the GameCube BN game? I remember loving it and putting an insane amount of time into it to get 100% completion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I played through it last year on the Wii U VC. I loved it back in the day and the game holds up really well.

Did you ever play the GameCube BN game? I remember loving it and putting an insane amount of time into it to get 100% completion.

No I don’t think I played that one. Might look up a YouTube video on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'm finally gonna get around to ordering an 8Bitdo SF30 Pro with receivers as I'm playing my Retron 5 and Snes mini more.

mando-bluetooth-8bitdo-sf30-pro-switch-b

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I think I'm finally gonna get around to ordering an 8Bitdo SF30 Pro with receivers as I'm playing my Retron 5 and Snes mini more.

mando-bluetooth-8bitdo-sf30-pro-switch-b

You made anymore retro purchase lately? I always enjoying reading when people make some pick ups.

I came in from the gym this morning and then sat and binged watched a load of videos from Happy Console Gamer. I love the passion he has for the Master System. He also adores the Ys games. Despite loving JRPGs I've yet to play one.

@Ike you enjoy those games, right?

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You made anymore retro purchase lately? I always enjoying reading when people make some pick ups.

I came in from the gym this morning and then sat and binged watched a load of videos from Happy Console Gamer. I love the passion he has for the Master System. He also adores the Ys games. Despite loving JRPGs I've yet to play one.

@Ike you enjoy those games, right?

 

I bought Spider-Man Maximum Carnage for the Mega Drive the other day which is a Streets of Rage style game thats actually thought of quite well. Played some earlier but only got a couple of levels in before I died.

spider-man-and-venom-maximum-carnage-04.

bestcomicgames_2.jpg

 

I'm probably gonna get back to working on my collection in the new year. I think I've been neglecting my Mega Drive one lately!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice get! I used to rent that all the time from my local back in the day. I remember it being hard as nails. 

Yeah, I wouldn't mind getting back to my Mega Drive collecting. I don't think there are many expensive games that I'm after. Off the top of my head there is probably only X-Men: Clone Wars that would cost quite of bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol yep. X-Men 2 Clone Wars is basically the next game on my list. I would add Adventures of Batman & Robin to that list but its around £90 most of the time.

....I used to own both of those games :cry:

 

I think I might need to get a new retro console though to play my carts. I'm on the Retron 5 at the moment and I think the SNES port is on its way out. Need to start researching what to get. Havent heard any rumours on a new system in a while but I know Nintendo's patent on N64 games was supposed to run out this or last year so you'd hope someone was working on adding that to an all in one retro console as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking of pick up an OSSC next year. I've recently been watching some videos on it and the image quality you get out of it is amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did I overhere talk of Sega Megadrive games, retro consoles and image quality? :D

While I've been in the process of clearing out and sorting my games collection in addition to helping make some space at home, part of it has lead to me going for upgrading most of my video cables. :)

I'm going to be installing an RGB Scart switcher so that I can at least connect the consoles which can display RGB natively without modification, so far that's going to be...

SNES - via the official GameCube Scart cable

Saturn - again with an official cable

Megadrive - using a cable from Retro Computer Shack

Playstation/2 - from an official scart cable

I know that I can use my Retron 5 for a lot of game consoles but chances are I'll be using that more for capture and probably GameBoy/Colour games, while GBA games will of course be displayed on the GameBoy Player attached to my original GameCube via component cable, with the audio going into my AV receiever which is the main reason I haven't gone for any extra processing boxes as there is some upscaling already done on that via HDMI passthrough for any other consoles which just use composite, which won't be many after I've upgraded. :smile:

Storing games is becoming more challenging as well, especially when you just want to take out a title and play it, so for things like my GameBoy/Colour/Advance collection, I've gone for some of those acrylic racks with five tiers (two of them) which are intended for make-up (of all things) but are perfect for displaying the cartridges so that you can see the artwork and just pick one out to just play at a moments notice.

Yep, it's fair to say that the My Life In Gaming channel on YouTube has had more than a few hours of viewing time from myself, I watched their videos on game storage, video editing setup and of course, the RGB Masterclass which has been a real eye-opener for me and you can be sure that I'll be popping into the thread more regularly as things slowly but surely move along and it should mean that I'm able to make more content for the main site in time I'm hoping; which is something I really want to get back into soon, particularly reviews. :peace:

Oh and I found a load of Megadrive and Playstation games I'd had in storage boxes recently as well, so I'll be going through those at some point, a few gems in there in addition to a far few sports titles but it was nice to find them all the same. :grin:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Lol yep. X-Men 2 Clone Wars is basically the next game on my list. I would add Adventures of Batman & Robin to that list but its around £90 most of the time.

....I used to own both of those games :cry:

 

I think I might need to get a new retro console though to play my carts. I'm on the Retron 5 at the moment and I think the SNES port is on its way out. Need to start researching what to get. Havent heard any rumours on a new system in a while but I know Nintendo's patent on N64 games was supposed to run out this or last year so you'd hope someone was working on adding that to an all in one retro console as well.

Look what just popped up!

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/12/13/nintendo-64-handheld-prototype-hyperkin/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Digital Foundry have put up this really good mini-documentary talking about Donkey Kong Country and Killer Instinct for the snes and what went into making those games:

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I seen Helmsly had posted in the thread I knew it would be that video. :D 

Great episode. I love the DKC games to bits and I'm always interested in watching anything about the series and its development.

Im very happy with the tease of episodes featuring Rare's N64 output. Any Banjo and Diddy Kong Racing videos will be much appreciated.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites