Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Formula 1 2010

Retro_Link

• Replies 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously excited about this race, changeable conditions + Spa = almost certainly the best race of the year. Unfortunately I'm going to miss absolutely all of it due to various commitments. I'm hoping I can steer clear of any results until Monday afternoon then watch through the whole thing uninterrupted.

I have no idea who will get pole around here!

Red Bull is mighty through sectors 2, but Mclaren is untouchable in 1 and 3. Ferrari seem to have been sandbagging a bit, I wouldn't be surprised if they turned the revs down on their engines and then they'll pick up pace in qualy, because on the dry(ish) track this morning Mclaren seemed to be faster than them...

Forza Alonso!!

Edit: Oh. and also, Renault's F-duct is working perfectly!! Wouldn't surprise me to see Robert up there, they've done a quality job this season so far. Interestingly, teams have already used 1 set on intermediates up, surely if the weather stays mixed then they'll run out of them for the race?! They only have 4 sets and we know how soon the performance drops off with them....

Edit 2: Only just watched qualy, how the hell did Lewis find 4 tenths at the end their :/ Incredible lap.

Edited by Goron_3

Why am I the only one commenting in this thread! Good god what a race so far. Vettel losing all rear grip and now surely Button is gonna be out of the title hunt? This was one of the few tracks where they were stronger than the rest, looks like we're heading for a Lewis-Webber fight for the title. Disappointing start from Webber but I bet he's smiling seeing Vettel make that mistake.

Petrov's move on Rosberg was incredible, and great balls from Schumacher to make that place on him. Rosberg is a quick racer but he's not feisty enough, that's the second time this season he's been overtaken on the outside going into the chicane (Australia), he needs to fight more.

Sutil in 5th? What a legend :D

Heart. In . My mouth, from Q1 to race end. My head nearly exploded when Hamilton came within an inch of throwing it away in the barrier. A bit silly from Vettel in how he took Button out. Dreadful bad luck for Alonso too, well done Massa though who's been on top of it all of week. Petrov on Rosberg is possibly the best overtake of the season so far. Hamilton's done everything he had to, if he goes into Singapore still leading he'll have done everything he needs to do to keep himself in the Championship. Monza's gonna be greeeeeat.

Found a nice pic...

hami_mcla_spaf_2010-3.jpg

What an Awesome race... LOVE Spa!!

Yeah when Lewis went off and nearly binned it in the wall... dramatic stuff!

Vettel was a mess all race... I'm inclined to agree that he's all well at good at leading a race, but working his way through the field... not so much! He's got a lot of work to do!

Also another mistake from Alonso! :hmm:

Really pleased for Renault and Kubica! They're becoming a real favourite of mine.

In other news:

I read on the autosports forum that corners such as Eau Rouge (that type of height/incline) are no longer allowed in the circuit design regulations... and I wonder if that would also rule out the hill at Interlagos?... anyway... that's kind of depressing to hear!

Edited by Retro_Link

I guess he was still within the defined limit of the mark?

God they sound amazing, I don't think I've ever heard an F1 car in the flesh, I really really need to sort that out.

Looks like it was an enjoyable race, sad I missed it, but also sad that Alonso is now a fair way back. I really really hope he can make up the gap, if not I'm definitely backing Webber for the title now.

I dunno about Massa... whilst it seems you may be able to put your front wing over?... everybody seems to draw the limit at the tyres

Aren't you going to Korea and Abu Dhabi Will?... thought I remember you saying something about it.

I went to Silverstone for the 2008 race weekend, and to Silverstone testing in '07 & '08... but I really need to get to Spa one year!!

Edited by Retro_Link

I'm hoping to, I'm not 100% sure now due to things going on at work. I'm hoping to do at least one of them and then the other will be a nice treat if I'm able to get it sorted. I'd love to go to Spa, next year if I can I'd love to drive to one of the European races.

Yeah I think me and my cousin are going to Spa next year. Defo wanna get tickets near Eau Rouge leading up to the straight. I love how it's one of the few tracks where the corners are named :)

I've had to go back and reassess my opinion of Lewis this season. This is the first time since Schumacher in 98/00 where a driver in an inferior car has seriously threatened a stronger car. The Red Bull will destroy the Mclaren at Singapore, Suzuka and Korea, but I wouldn't count Lewis out of it, especially if he gets a win next weekend. He made some mistakes in 2007 and 2008, but he started his championship winning season after just 17 race starts, pushing his 2 time champion to the limit in his first and very nearly snatching the title. In 2009 he had a underdeveloped car but still got wins in Hungary, Singapore and would have won in Abu Dhabi too if he didn't get brake failure...

Vettel has proven this season it's easy to crack when in such a dominent car, and this is easily the best car advantage I've seen in F1 since the F2004 (i'd say the '05 Mclaren but it was so unreliable as Retro can attest to :heh:), and he's struggling to cope with a competitive team mate. Hamilton made mistakes early on but mainly because of his desire not to beaten and occasionally that does mean pushing past the limit; Senna did it, Mansell did it, and hell, even Michael made the odd mistake. But his performance in Spa was impeccable. Ok he hit the brakes too late going into that right hander and went off but he controlled it beautifully and he had controlled his lead so well to that he still ended up the winner.

People used to argue that Alonso was the complete man in F1, but he's made a few mistakes this season and I think the pressure is getting to him. He spent his 'prime years' in a Renault and though he was fantastic in 2008 he was in a Renault for Christ sakes :( Lewis though seems to be a different type of driver, similarly to Schumacher I don't see him as the type of driver who gets bored of winning, the joy comes from the precision of being on the limit. I used to hate him, but I will admit he is definately the most complete racer I've seen since Schumacher. He's reminding me of Michaels 1998 season, I just hope he wins it because it would be great to see such a dominent car (Red Bull) not win the title.

Also did anyone watch the qualy build up on saturday? There was a really interesting Schumacher interview where he said 'Adrenaline rush? I'm surprised you got back into racing (DC) because you missed that, because I don't get any adrenaline rush from the racing, it's the reward of knowing you're on the limit I enjoy'. Interesting comment.

I noticed that, I'm surprised it's not even a part of what brought him back.

Does anyone know anywhere good for F1 merchandise? I need to buy a Red Bull top for a friend at work but can't find it on the F1 site and the Red Bull site only has L and XL sizes (she's tiny). If anyone knows somewhere I can try that would be much appreciated.

Yeah I agree with everything you said Goron.

I used to hate Lewis, but I can definately appreciate him as a driver now... I still find his personality a bit too contrived... but even that's changing a little! After his win I was saying to myself 'please don't kiss the camera, please don't kiss the camera'... as he approached it and he didn't, he just shook it!

He drove a brilliant race at Spa... though I would but that off a little more down luck.

Alonso just doesn't seem to be himself since his time at McLaren... he seems over confident at the moment and so desperate, that it's leading to mistakes. He once saw himself as the most compete driver, but I think Lewis' arrival, especially with him being in the same team as him at the time has shaken him somewhat. He saw himself going on to win multiple world championships in quick succession (doing a schumacher)... perhaps retiring soon afterwards... but Lewis put an end to that and now he's having to prolong his dream.

Though I have to say I'm really starting to dislike Ferrari... not just because of the disgusting way I think the treated Kimi (never getting behind him, blaming the drivers instead of the team, the way they 'sacked' him for Santander, and LDM slagging him off in the wake).

They put WAY to much of the responsibility on their drivers... when infact it's the management that's all wrong. Jean Todds being last figurehead within the team with any sence... it's no coincidece his departure coincides with the teams downfall.

I'm actually a little worried for Alonso to be honest. But where as Raikkonen was a personality who could shrug it off... I think Ferrari could seriously damage Alonso if they don't get their act together.

Vettel has proved himself undeserving of the WDC this year I think

Does anyone know anywhere good for F1 merchandise? I need to buy a Red Bull top for a friend at work but can't find it on the F1 site and the Red Bull site only has L and XL sizes (she's tiny). If anyone knows somewhere I can try that would be much appreciated.
This one any good...

http://www.grandprixlegends.com/motorsport-and-f1-merchandise/formula-one/red-bull-racing?filter_reset=1

Edited by Retro_Link

Yeah I agree with everything you said Goron.

I used to hate Lewis, but I can definately appreciate him as a driver now... I still find his personality a bit too contrived... but even that's changing a little! After his win I was saying to myself 'please don't kiss the camera, please don't kiss the camera'... as he approached it and he didn't, he just shook it!

He drove a brilliant race at Spa... though I would but that off a little more down luck.

Alonso just doesn't seem to be himself since his time at McLaren... he seems over confident at the moment and so desperate, that it's leading to mistakes. He once saw himself as the most compete driver, but I think Lewis' arrival, especially with him being in the same team as him at the time has shaken him somewhat. He saw himself going on to win multiple world championships in quick succession (doing a schumacher)... perhaps retiring soon afterwards... but Lewis put an end to that and now he's having to prolong his dream.

Though I have to say I'm really starting to dislike Ferrari... not just because of the disgusting way I think the treated Kimi (never getting behind him, blaming the drivers instead of the team, the way they 'sacked' him for Santander, and LDM slagging him off in the wake).

They put WAY to much of the responsibility on their drivers... when infact it's the management that's all wrong. Jean Todds being last figurehead within the team with any sence... it's no coincidece his departure coincides with the teams downfall.

I'm actually a little worried for Alonso to be honest. But where as Raikkonen was a personality who could shrug it off... I think Ferrari could seriously damage Alonso if they don't get their act together.

Vettel has proved himself undeserving of the WDC this year I thinkThis one any good...

http://www.grandprixlegends.com/motorsport-and-f1-merchandise/formula-one/red-bull-racing?filter_reset=1

Funny you should say that, I was thinking just the same. He could have easily been a 3-4 times world champion if he stayed at Macca if 2007 went better. I honesty think he will retire once he beats Lewis in a title fight. Maybe not this year because of the RB's advantage, but i'd dream of a Lewis-Alonso/Ferrari-Macca title race.

Also, James Allen has a brilliant article up on Vettel. Compares him to Lewis and admits that he has a long way to go.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/

Yeah Alonso really should have manned up to the challenge.

I think there's a chance he's missed his time now... he should have stuck around and worked with McLaren. Instead he wasted those years going back to Renault. He's running out of time because Hamilton/Vettel/Kubica etc... are only going to get better.

And personally I don't think Ferrari are the team to be at.

EDIT: Oh also, was anyone else frustrated hearing the commentators talk about the rev limited engines again during Spa.

I remember we talked about it briefly last year when at Silverstone, Lewis couldn't progress through the pack due to it... and it was the same on a couple of occasions here, with people bouncing off the limiter.

Surely removing the limiters and slightly increasing the engine revs is a really simple step to take towards helping overtaking in the sport?

Edited by Retro_Link

Yeah Alonso really should have manned up to the challenge.

I think there's a chance he's missed his time now... he should have stuck around and worked with McLaren. Instead he wasted those years going back to Renault. He's running out of time because Hamilton/Vettel/Kubica etc... are only going to get better.

And personally I don't think Ferrari are the team to be at.

EDIT: Oh also, was anyone else frustrated hearing the commentators talk about the rev limited engines again during Spa.

I remember we talked about it briefly last year when at Silverstone, Lewis couldn't progress through the pack due to it... and it was the same on a couple of occasions here, with people bouncing off the limiter.

Surely removing the limiters and slightly increasing the engine revs is a really simple step to take towards helping overtaking in the sport?

Yeah I noticed that, it's really annoying :( The slipstream effect has practically gone, it'll be an issue at Monza for sure :(

So hyped for that film.

Senna was an incredible character. I think Brundle summed it up the best on the Top Gear feature they did on him: 'Aryton hated suffering and he would do anything to help others. But that's the paradox with Senna, he was willing to kill himself and Prost for the sake of winning because he felt he had been unfairly treated'.

Incredible.

edit. here we go.

Edited by Goron_3

I noticed that' date=' I'm surprised it's not even a part of what brought him back.

Does anyone know anywhere good for F1 merchandise? I need to buy a Red Bull top for a friend at work but can't find it on the F1 site and the Red Bull site only has L and XL sizes (she's tiny). If anyone knows somewhere I can try that would be much appreciated.[/quote']

There's that shop on Regent Street just passed McDonalds, can't think of its name though.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!