NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Wolf

How far off were you?

We saw tons of mockups - we read hundreds of ideas. But now the controller's been revealed, how close were you to the truth?

I have to say I was "sort of" on to something. My idea was an oval, glossy sort of controller with no buttons that you held in one hand and it lit up with blue lights to make touch sensitive buttons... Still, I was way off. What about you?

Remember the fake mockup of the drawings and prototype of the weird one handed thumb thing with the analogue stick? That was the closest I think! :)

My guess was a buttonless controller with touch screen on it, and a programmable interface, combined with movement censors (like gyroscopes). Well i got half right :smile:

This is what I posted on the 13th on Spong's message board:

I'd say the best controller outcome is a multi-component one, especially with gyroscopes built in for control input. You'd have a main body with the normal controls, joystick, buttons, etc and would be tiltable, then accessory controllers such as a rod which could be used as say a flight stick, handlebars and a sword hilt depending on how you hold it. Sadly this idea was put forward by someone from N-Sider in an IGN article, but it still struck me as a realistic option and gives the best scope for ways to play.

It was actually a combination of the ideas in the N-Sider article, but I think I ended up pretty close.

I saw 2 mockups which i believe were the closest.

The one mockup had a controller seperated into 2 bits. The one was like the "analogue" part of the new revolution controller, and had 2 shoulder buttons i think. The other bit had a few buttoms and a few shoulder buttons.

The other mockup was like a dvd remote. It contained many buttons, and worked with tilt technology. Infact, combine both of these controllers, and it's pretty much the Revolution controller.

Although, many other mockups were far off. :)

lol i was no where close, i'd just thought they'd use a trackball instead of an anologue stick and maybe a screen in the controller. I underestimated them :( the actual controller blew me away

I knew you would use one hand mainly...

Dare I ask what you had envisaged for the spare hand??? :unsure:

lol i didn't really use my imagination, despite seeing a bazillion mockups i could only think of holding a normal wavebird, but then again if the shell looks anything like IGN's mockup then i guess technically i'm kinda close but not... :eer:

________

magic flight

Edited by Incomplete

I said the day before the annoucement that it would have a power button on it. I also thought that there would be the whole gyroscope movement stuff involved.

I didn't have a solid guess tho, but for what I thought I was dead on.

We saw tons of mockups - we read hundreds of ideas. But now the controller's been revealed, how close were you to the truth?

I have to say I was "sort of" on to something. My idea was an oval, glossy sort of controller with no buttons that you held in one hand and it lit up with blue lights to make touch sensitive buttons... Still, I was way off. What about you?

I was dead on. exactly what i had in mind. :unsure:

I had no idea at all what it would be.

But I will say that it is close (in terms of functionality) to my favourite mock controller design...

revcont046qg.jpg

To be honest I didn't really speculate enough to devise my own ideas! But atleast it's no visor!

^ thank god no visor :hmm:

Yeah that would have sucked, as in all honesty the technology isnt even at an affordable level yet to be marketable on the scale of a console, so the whole idology behind a visor was daft.

Most people doing the mock ups seemed to keep making them more complex. We all knew Nintendo wanted a "simpler" design because they kept stating and restating that.

I remember a quote from Miyamoto saying he wasn't even sure an analog stick would be necessary. After that statement I thought any mock up would be fair game.

...but no way was I prepared for a remote looking thing.

I had a few similar ideas aaaaaages ago, it makes me smile to think I wasn't far off Nintendo's thinking. Around the time of the N64 I started designing a multi component controller, it had the middle 'trigger' bit of the N64 pad with sockets at the front and sides to add other components like a D-Pad. I was also wondering not so long ago what my TV remote would be like to control games (seeing as how most now have a d-pad type thing on em).

I think I figured it was going to be a normalish controller with a touch screen lcd in the middle and gyro features

I really wouldn't have guessed the controller at all. Im still sceptical about it and thnik its going to be very "try before you buy". I think the revo will make or break Nintendo.

Sign in to follow this