NEurope
MoogleViper

The official help me get a degree thread

I don't really think anyone thinks in words, per se, but this test is designed to focus on the lexicon; the actual store of words that we must have in order to recognose and process the orthographic or the phonetic forms of words. Words aren't formed in isolated blots but in connected memes and schemas, and while we can't say they're distinct from images or feelings, we can still say that words must be connected to one another somehow, otherwise we'd all be illiterate and unable to comprehend one another.

Chair, for the first part you are looking for p(coin is c(k) | heads). The first step is obviously working out what p(heads) is.

I think you're heading for 1/6, 1/3, 1/2.

Chair, for the first part you are looking for p(coin is c(k) | heads). The first step is obviously working out what p(heads) is.

I think you're heading for 1/6, 1/3, 1/2.

p(heads) = p(coin is c(k) U heads) + p(coin is not c(k) U heads)

??

p(heads) is the sum of the conditional p(heads | coin) probabilities multiplied by the probability of that coin being chose. I.e. 1/3*1/3 + 1/3*2/3 + 1/3*1=2/3.

So how do I work out p(coin is C(1) U result is heads)?

Is that just 1/3 * 1/3 ?

I'm slightly confused.

It's p(a | b) = p(a and b)/p(b).

So it's going to be p(coin k | heads ) = (1/3*p(coin k is a head))/(2/3)

Oh yeah of course, I was getting 5/9 for p(heads) for some reason, so wasn't following you! Just a stupid mistake. Thanks.

*looks at second part of the question*

Their respective probabilities of falling heads when tossed are 1/3, 2/3 and 1.

Second part is 1/18+2/9+1/2=7/9

*goes to bed*

I just realised I keep getting unions and intersects mixed up, which is making all these problems far harder for me.

I just realised I keep getting unions and intersects mixed up, which is making all these problems far harder for me.

Yeah. I'd noticed, but last night I was on my iPod so typing lengthy replies was annoying.

Paj; I wrote up, printed and handed in teh essay this morning :P No worries :) But it's always fun to put your own associations under the microscope. Makes you kinda introspective and quizzical.

Do mine show that I'm insane?

There was an interesting distinction between those who did it on here and those in real life (as well as those which were done by people I know, such as housemates). Everyone was, to some extent, fairly sure I was going to psychoanalyse the results. While it was strictly a psycholinguistics study, I, of course, did a but of my own wondering. One woman, for instance, basically mentioned dogs somehow for every answer. Another woman was so clearly absolutely bat-shit crazy because her boyfriend just dumped her.

But the online responses were generally a lot more casual, and came across as wackier responses. People that I actually know were more comfortable when the test was taken, so they tended to say less stupid stuff. Except for Dan Dare and "advertisement" where he basically obsessed with Mad Men throughout.

I only finished it yesterday but already I've forgotten it all.

Describe the ways in which the external environment affects business decisions and behaviour, and the ways in which businesses may influence their environment, with examples.

You divide the assignment topic into two parts, then you can distribute 2000 words as follows.

Part 1: Describe the ways in which the external environment affects business decisions and behaviour, with examples.

50% of the marks will be allocated to Part 1 which may contain approximately.

1000 words

Part 2: Describe the ways in which businesses may influence their environment, with examples.

5o% of the marks will be allocated to Part 2 which may contain approximately 1000 words.

Can anybody give me any examples of what to use? I think for the first I'm going to use something like fair trade or eco friendly (or both). But I have no idea what to do in the second part.

Describe the ways in which businesses may influence their environment, with examples.

Parties and bonuses? Would make for a more positive environment.

Think it depends on the kind of business. If a nuclear power plant was suddenly built in the middle of a village I'm pretty sure that would affect the local environment.

Ok I've written my intro. Would anybody care to look at it and see what you think?

“Business refers to the vast array of economic activity, in which goods and services are supplied in exchange for some payment, usually money. It includes buying and selling, manufacturing products, extracting natural resources and farming.”

There are many factors that affect a business’ decisions. Collectively these are known as the business environment. These are split into the internal and external environment of the business. The internal environment is the environment within the business itself e.g. the relation between the different departments. The external environment is the environmental factors that operate in the world outside of the organisation.

These external environments can be analysed by using a PESTLE model. This model spits the environment into six categories; Political, Economic, Social, Technological, Legal, Ethical.

There are many stakeholders of a business. A stakeholder is defined as “any individual or group that is affected by (and thus has a stake in) business decisions. Stakeholders can be divided into the following categories; Shareholders (owners), employees, customers, suppliers, consumers, ecological environment, society and local community.

I've not done the references yet.

Industrial towns, their layouts, transport systems, complementary businesses etc?

Hmm yeah I think I'll probably look at that. Will give me a bit to write about and a few references.

Edited by MoogleViper
Added a bit about stakeholders.

There was an interesting distinction between those who did it on here and those in real life (as well as those which were done by people I know, such as housemates). Everyone was, to some extent, fairly sure I was going to psychoanalyse the results. While it was strictly a psycholinguistics study, I, of course, did a but of my own wondering. One woman, for instance, basically mentioned dogs somehow for every answer. Another woman was so clearly absolutely bat-shit crazy because her boyfriend just dumped her.

But the online responses were generally a lot more casual, and came across as wackier responses. People that I actually know were more comfortable when the test was taken, so they tended to say less stupid stuff. Except for Dan Dare and "advertisement" where he basically obsessed with Mad Men throughout.

I only finished it yesterday but already I've forgotten it all.

Well, I typed in what I first thought of. Not necessarily words or images, but simply the first "thing" that came to mind in whatever form or lack thereof it might be.

Describe the ways in which the external environment affects business decisions and behaviour, and the ways in which businesses may influence their environment, with examples.

You divide the assignment topic into two parts, then you can distribute 2000 words as follows.

Part 1: Describe the ways in which the external environment affects business decisions and behaviour, with examples.

50% of the marks will be allocated to Part 1 which may contain approximately.

1000 words

Part 2: Describe the ways in which businesses may influence their environment, with examples.

5o% of the marks will be allocated to Part 2 which may contain approximately 1000 words.

Can anybody think of any more examples of this? For both parts.

For example can anybody think of any businesses that have been severely affected by technological changes/advancements? Preferably one that was in the news.

Edited by MoogleViper

Hello KNEErs.

Needing help for an English language essay that I'm writing, which is about instant messening and it's grammar and spelling rules. Basically I'm saying that obviously they vary depending on context and speaker / typer and that it thus makes new types of vernacular language.

Newyzyz, point is, can anyone help out with good examples of IM that I can reference and look at?

I'm probably gonna have a look at the scene In Closer (Probably before Clive Owen get's his wang out.

Couldn't see anywhere else to put this but if an Admin wants to move this that's cool (Y)

Hello KNEErs.

Needing help for an English language essay that I'm writing, which is about instant messening and it's grammar and spelling rules. Basically I'm saying that obviously they vary depending on context and speaker / typer and that it thus makes new types of vernacular language.

Newyzyz, point is, can anyone help out with good examples of IM that I can reference and look at?

I'm probably gonna have a look at the scene In Closer (Probably before Clive Owen get's his wang out.

Couldn't see anywhere else to put this but if an Admin wants to move this that's cool (Y)

David Crystal's Langauge and the Internet (CUP, 2001) might make a good starting point, and his txting: the gr8 deb8 (OUP, 2008) probably has some relevance. Both of these are very accessible and are likely to lead you on to other references if you need them. Although of course that's not quite what you were asking for - other people will probably have ideas about IM examples though.

Oh, and I merged this with the degree help thread, as it's probably best to keep academic help in one place, even if it's not for a degree (unless of course it is).

Edited by Supergrunch

David Crystal's Langauge and the Internet (CUP, 2001) might make a good starting point, and his txting: the gr8 deb8 (OUP, 2008) probably has some relevance. Both of these are very accessible and are likely to lead you on to other references if you need them. Although of course that's not quite what you were asking for - other people will probably have ideas about IM examples though.

Oh, and I merged this with the degree help thread, as it's probably best to keep academic help in one place, even if it's not for a degree (unless of course it is).

Cool, thanks, the Gr8 deb8 looks useful, and apparently there are copies in the uni library! Good stuff.

Yeh forgot this thread excisted, would have put it in originally. For a degree it is.

Looking for examples of text speak that I can examine if anyone has any ideas

I hope it's not a problem to ask this kind of question in this thread:

I'm reading a book ("The Colossal Book of Mathematics") and I'm having a problem with some wording:

The topic is "The Calculus of Finite Differences", I won't go into detail with the exact procedure...

I don't get the following:

"The coefficient of x is obtained by taking half the bottom number from the first number of the middle row."

The first number of the middle row is 8. And half the bottom number from 8 has to be 3.

The problem I have: What is half the bottom number?

I know that the bottom number in a fraction is the denominator. But I just can't figure out what half the bottom number means and how you get 3 as a result...

I googled it, I tried dictionaries, wikipedia and blah blah.

To cut it short: I'm not able to translate "half the bottom number" and therefore I'm confused :D (I bet it's simple and embarrassing for me after someone has explained...)

Tree-hugging Dan I'm not really sure what you're asking but you mention a film and internet language and stuff which reminded me of;