NEurope
Pit-Jr

Demon's Souls

Ah, will do. So now I've died I have diminished health and no body. I think I get that. And I have to kill a boss to get my body back. But aren't there a limited number of bosses? Isn't that just an absurd requirement?

I've got the Cling Ring so it isn't too bad.

It isn't once you get into the game, the bosses are on the whole pretty piss and you'll realise body form ain't that important.

There are a hell of a lot of 'wtf?', 'why?', 'how the hell was i meant to know that?' moments in terms of game design and weirdness. You could call it charm, but I'd say it's a little irritating.

Just read back through the thread and lold at some of my comments (either because they were funny/harsh/or just plain n00bish)

Basically 3 important things you should know for now:

-Whenever you collect shards/chunks of stuff (raw materials basically) go to the stockpile guy and dump them on him. He has unlimited capacity for the lolz, and it saves you carrying the weight around. You never need them on your person.

- You can get your body back ALSO by using the stone of ephemeral eyes. However, the item really isn't as good as it seems. If you die in body form in any world, something called world tendency goes down. This makes the enemies much stronger, so it's best to complete a level in soul form if possible as it may be easier this way. The ephemeral stone isn't really that rare and I've basically got a ton of them that just won't be used. World Tendency changes a lot of things but you'll figure it out down the line.

- There's various useful or evil Non-Player-Characters in the game that you can talk to/rescue & talk to. Once you've freed them, they appear in the Nexus somewhere, and you can either trade or learn stuff from them. However, some NPCs are evil and could cause a ruckus in the Nexus.

Edited by dwarf

That's what I did say to be very frankly honest.

If you have any questions you can ask me, but if you read the thread I pretty much was as lost as you. I'd recommend giving it all a check.

Sorry to be pedantic, but you really always have your soul (hence soul form). It's all about getting your body back. :p

Body form has its cons (namely losing world tendency when you die), which in turn bars you from obtaining various weapons (see Demon's Souls wikia). As you defeat bosses your world tendency goes closer to pure white; don't die at all in body form in any world (as you kill a boss and regain your body, suicide in the Nexus as that has no world tendency) and you will progress to pure white world tendency as you kill the world's final boss.

On the other hand, if you don't care about technically cheating you can go online and use the colorless demon's souls farming glitch and set yourself to pure white world tendency that way. So you needn't worry about dying in body form

Either way, being in body form can make things much more easy and interesting since you can summon blue phantoms (other players) to help you either at the beginning of levels or before bosses using blue bloodstains on the floor. If you're playing the game for fun, just stay in whatever suits you.

Did you get the thief's ring? It's in the first level and is easily one of the best rings in the game.

Also, I wouldn't say all bosses are pretty piss. Some are abusable, but this requires you to find their AI flaw by looking online. Some bosses can be actually quite challenging.

Edited by Sheikah

I need to find the Thief's Ring. Sounds really useful.

It's probably the best ring in the game (along with clever rat's ring). It even works on bosses; some don't see you if you're too far away (including Flamelurker). And essential for killing crystal lizards for rare ore.

Oh, and it makes you invisible to players in PvP from a reasonable distance. So it's great for launching an ambush. :)

Edited by Sheikah

Okay, I definitely need to find it. World 1-1, right?

Not sure I'm going to be able to play this today. :( After I get home from work I've got parkour and then I'm usually too tired and this game need/deserves concentration.

Yeah, it's inside the castle area and I think you have to move against the wall to auto-jump down and land on a platform. It's where Ostrava stood while he first wanted you to take down dreglings.

Also, I wouldn't say all bosses are pretty piss. Some are abusable, but this requires you to find their AI flaw by looking online. Some bosses can be actually quite challenging.

Can't remember saying they all were but that's completely fine.

Other useful rings for me were - Ring of Avarice (more souls per kill. I basically put it on if I can get away with it just before I finish off a boss, as many of the boss arenas have purposeful spots where you can evade them completely, so just pop it on for a pisstake victory soul-rape festivity winrar), Ring of flame or poison Resistance & Ring of Magical sharpness (although this one probably won't be the case for you).

I'd argue Regenerator's ring can be pretty helpful too. In all honesty you shouldn't worry too much about rings. If you were to ever use one, thief's ring is the essential. However it is largely dependent on your situation and the world you're in, and sometimes it's better to not have thiefs ring on if you are fairly confident when playing, in which case Avarice can be potential lullification or whatever emotion you want.

Imma stop bombarding you naow, just play ze game constantly and you'll have a ball with the superb ambience only rivalled by a select few games, like Mario Kart.

Edited by dwarf

Yeah, it's inside the castle area and I think you have to move against the wall to auto-jump down and land on a platform. It's where Ostrava stood while he first wanted you to take down dreglings.

Okay...that last sentence means nothing to me. :heh:

Imma stop bombarding you naow, just play ze game constantly and you'll have a ball with the superb ambience only rivalled by a select few games.

I can't play it now so reading/talking about it is the next best thing. :hehe:

Ostrava was the glowing yellow NPC guy in 1-1 that you may not have noticed. He reappears throughout world 1 and you get some decent stuff out of him should you help him out each time.

Play world 3 when you can, especially for the clever rat's ring. Then try forge a morion blade using the world 4 final boss demon's soul for mega damage. :)

Edited by Sheikah

Okay...that last sentence means nothing to me. :heh:

He likes to do that. And yeah on his latest - just go craft a Morion blade & get the clever rats ring tbh. Simples. Ya know, just stroll in and craft one, no explanaish needed. You're taking notes right? No need seeing as you'll deffo remember all this.

Seriously though:

There's no rush to go to these worlds in any particular order, just do what is manageable. Trying to get through the slog and annoyance of world 3 is not what you want to be doing, especially just for that ring.

Edited by dwarf

He likes to do that. And yeah on his latest - just go craft a Morion blade & get the clever rats ring tbh. Simples. Ya know, just stroll in and craft one, no explanaish needed. You're taking notes right? No need seeing as you'll deffo remember all this.

Seriously though:

There's no rush to go to these worlds in any particular order, just do what is manageable. Trying to get through the slog and annoyance of world 3 is not what you want to be doing, especially just for that ring.

Or just refer to this thread? I don't know why you're being an ass about me giving some very clever advice. Especially since it has often been you coming to me for advice (and me spending a great deal of my time always answering you). Don't forget that I defeated your blue dragon (and nearly all of False King Allant on new game+) for you. :p

I mentioned some things he could do; he'll eventually know how to forge (so it's good advice to keep in mind), and there's nothing hard about world 3 up to boss 1. In fact, it's easily one of the most atmospheric levels and definitely one of my favourites. The fact it has a great ring in it just adds to the awesomeness of the level.

Edited by Sheikah

It's a good level, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to start out on it.

All I'm saying is that there's no need to bombard newbies with advice like that, when it makes no sense. I doubt anyone would want to go back and read it all here, getting the morion blade and the rats ring just doesn't have to be done at this stage, plus it isn't the priority when you've not even levelled up.

Ize gonna give relevant/general/useful advice for what people need to know at the start, going off on tangents is failblog-bound.

Why you're bringing up the co-op sessions in your argument is beyond me, seeing as I was playing for the funz, seeing as it is, but learning a bit from a more experienced player at the same time. I thought I was helping you out a bit, seeing as you wanted me to play through a level and a certain couple of bosses with you. I'm not going to hold it as a grudge seeing as it's tit for tat and enjoyable for winrar. Try not to get too caught up in all this man.

Edited by dwarf

Ize gonna give relevant/general/useful advice for what people need to know at the start, going off on tangents if failblog-bound.

Well if you would take an eye away from ReZ's thesaurus for the mentally impaired you'd realise that the clever rat's ring is useful straight off to kill the many crystal lizards you encounter throughout the game.

World 3-1 is realtively easy. It's creepy, but by no means hard. I say go for it. My advice regarding body form and world tendency is incredibly poignant: it's up to you whether you wish to try hard to maintain good world tendency to get good weapons this playthrough, or just play for a laugh. But it's a choice you kinda need to make at the beginning, or else it's too late.

Edited by Sheikah

It's actually a fusion language that isn't solely Rez-filled.

I'm pretty sure that very few people are going to bother with crystal lizards that much because it's hardly worth going for those trophies by doing it the long way. I never used the CRR for those situations and I killed more than enough lizards to do what I wanted. I have tons of shit ores that just aren't going to be useful simply because they aren't necessary.

Basically I spent most of the game not using the ring and was very happy without it.

BED.

No, it's definitely because you practically bum ReZ. You're clearly impressionable so whatever.

But I digress. The purpose of crystal lizards is pure ores that come only rarely. And it's to make the best weapons, not just for the sake of trophies. And if you ever want to kill other players / fend off invaders, it's definitely worthwhile.

I'm pretty sure that very few people are going to bother with crystal lizards that much because it's hardly worth going for those trophies by doing it the long way.

...Except we're typing this for Daft and not the general population. I know that Daft has a good few platinums so it's hardly rocket science to make the connection that he likes to complete games.

Basically I spent most of the game not using the ring and was very happy without it.

Because as you often pointed out, you didn't have the Morion Blade. Without the Morion Blade equipped at the same time the damage is absolute shit.

Edited by Sheikah

I'm actually not in the mood but I want to play the game again (that makes no sense at all...).

Thank you Daft for reviving the thread :D

Edited by drahkon

...Except we're typing this for Daft and not the general population. I know that Daft has a good few platinums so it's hardly rocket science to make the connection that he likes to complete games.

Yeah, I'm kind of hoping this is one of those games I really get into so I actually want to get the Platinum. Your help is very much appreciated! (And even if I don't understand stuff I'll most likely come back and check this thread again when I do.) :smile:

...this might just be the 10th Platinum. (Although more importantly my 60th Gold. I've been stuck on 59 for AAAAAAAGEESS!! :mad: )

I'm actually not in the mood but I want to play the game again (that makes no sense at all...).

Thank you Daft for reviving the thread :D

I really can't wait until the weekend. When I get home from work I just want to zone out and DS is not a game you want to zone out with. :heh:

Another good thing to remember is that if you plan to platinum the game you can save yourself a whole playthrough (so 3 playthroughs instead of 4) by using a little trick. It lets you play a new game + after completion and you keep your character stats and items, but everything gets a lot harder in NG+.

If you hang onto the demon souls of the bosses from world 2, 3 and 5 and don't use them to forge weapons until you have obtained every other weapon required for a gold trophy, you can basically go to the blacksmith, forge these weapons without closing the menu, let the trophy ding and quit the game. You'll have the trophy but when you reload you'll still have the souls unused (so you can then use them to get spells).

You might not make much sense of that now, so just remember to hang onto the demon soul of the final bosses in worlds 2, 3 and 5. It'll all make sense later. :)

Edited by Sheikah

Gotcha! Hang onto the souls.

I'm a Temple Knight. I upgraded my strength and endurance a bit. I'm going to try and find that Theif's Ring. Any tips on what I should go for weapon wise? I've got the starting weapon still although needs space to swing which is kind of annoying and just found a bow.

I don't know how to forge weapons, and if I'm honest I never really bother...in games...ever. :heh: It's not too complicated, is it? Where do you do it? At the old dude seller in the Nexus?

Nope it's really easy. You basically defeat the second boss in world 2 (so it's a good idea to do that sooner) which is the Flamelurker. Then in world 2, somewhere before you fought the first boss you'll have encountered a blacksmith like the one in the Nexus, but this one is called Ed. After you talk to him a few times you basically give him the Flamelurker's demon soul (have it on hand) and he'll offer to forge good weapons with demon's souls.

Basically for many of the weapons you want to make you just bring along a specific weapon and a demon's soul.

Here's a great tip for a weapon. Go into world 4 and defeat the first boss - take that soul, along with a club (bought from the dregling merchant in the first level in world 1). He'll make the meat cleaver, my favourite weapon. :p Pump stength now to be able to equip it though.

Awesome. Cheers!

I wandered into world two and there are these slow moving zombie guys right near the start (I think they're susceptible to fire) and they take a right battering to kill. So I backed off. Might check out World 3 first. Decisions decisions....

World 4 is amazing, definitely my favourite world. The first level has a crescent falchion+1 literally on the floor near the entrance, which instantly does great damage as it stacks magic damage on top of the hit damage, as well as constantly regenerating your MP. Worth just grabbing that sword and doing another level if you like, as World 4 is probably one of the most difficult worlds.

Edited by Sheikah