NEurope
Pit-Jr

Demon's Souls

Smash and grab job, eh?

I like it! :heh:

Sod it. I'm not going to the gym after work. I'm heading straight home to play this!!

No, it's definitely because you practically bum ReZ. You're clearly impressionable so whatever.

But I digress. The purpose of crystal lizards is pure ores that come only rarely. And it's to make the best weapons, not just for the sake of trophies. And if you ever want to kill other players / fend off invaders, it's definitely worthwhile.

...Except we're typing this for Daft and not the general population. I know that Daft has a good few platinums so it's hardly rocket science to make the connection that he likes to complete games.

Practically bum Rez? I do bum him.

The thing is, whenever I make a post I do know if I'm making a Rez-influenced one and when I'm not. It's not like I'm unaware of it. Maybe I like to incorporate some of that stuff because I find it to be pretty funny personally. Whether you do or not I don't care so much.

You've obviously misinterpreted me there - Of course pure ores are important but you find enough of them just lying around or by killing the occasional crystal lizard without having to consciously go out with the CRR and Morion blade. (or whichever way you can get them) Yes you can make great weapons with ores, and you've tried to turn that on me by suggesting I didn't relise that.

Oh shit he might want to complete games? I'm aware that many players here like trophies, I'm a massive completionist myself, but I do not believe mining crystal lizards is enriching, fun or needed to be a 'completionist' in this game. Getting stuck into this game does not mean you have to do the chores of killing these creatures, they're just fuck annoying.

By doing what I said for the trophy - getting a player to give you the weapons - it is a lot less hassle and you really aren't missing out on anything by doing this. Do pay special attention to killing the ones you come across, it's fairly easy if you have a hammer type weapon and you roll/use thiefs ring (heck using a bow obviously works quite well), but apart from a select few times when you're trying to forge a particular weapon it isn't that important to go out of your way to find their spawns.

I condone finding all the rings/making the unique weapons yourself, but ores.... No.

Demon Souls doesn't always boot up for me. Does anyone else have this problem. Basically it switches resolution to whatever and then just stays dark.

It happens about 50% of the time. And only after the latest firmware update.

You've obviously misinterpreted me there - Of course pure ores are important but you find enough of them just lying around or by killing the occasional crystal lizard without having to consciously go out with the CRR and Morion blade. (or whichever way you can get them) Yes you can make great weapons with ores, and you've tried to turn that on me by suggesting I didn't relise that.

Bollocks. Pure ores are quite rare; you don't just find them by killing the occasional lizard (unless very lucky). And you don't know how good the Morion/Clever Rat setup is because you never had the Morion Blade (although it did dictate why my arrow shots were something like 5X more damaging than yours when we were killing False King Allant).

Oh shit he might want to complete games? I'm aware that many players here like trophies, I'm a massive completionist myself, but I do not believe mining crystal lizards is enriching, fun or needed to be a 'completionist' in this game. Getting stuck into this game does not mean you have to do the chores of killing these creatures, they're just fuck annoying.

Hmm that sounds very reasonable apart from a few small details. First, the European version has not been out for very long, so the chance of people having these weapons lying around to give away to stranges is slim. Second, I very much doubt that the duplication glitch still exists, or that most Europeans even know of it. Third, maybe some people like to make their weapons? They are very, very useful weapons to make (and you only need the best weapon by ---stone, so you're free to choose whatever weapons you wish to make).

it's fairly easy if you have a hammer type weapon and you roll/use thiefs ring (heck using a bow obviously works quite well), but apart from a select few times when you're trying to forge a particular weapon it isn't that important to go out of your way to find their spawns.

Just wait for new game +. Oh wait, we were on NG+! And you missed a hell of a lot of them. Also, remember that large cave in 2-1? There must be at least 10 lizards in that room. Should you walk in, even with the thief's ring, they all start running and you'd be lucky to kill 2. Morion setup essential.

I condone finding all the rings/making the unique weapons yourself, but ores.... No.

The thing is, MOST of the ores you can get from quests or as treasure; still, killing lizards is good to get hold of chunks since they're not exactly that common (some types).

Sorry Daft, I've got the US version and I haven't tried playing since the FW update. I could try during the weekend (at my girlfriend's atm).

Edited by Sheikah

How important is the online in this?... cause I have no internets right now at my new house and won't till september (or better, I do have one of my neighbours' connection but it's signal is too weak for the ps3 to establish a stable connection. So, should I wait and play Mass Effect 2 and save this one for when online is pristine again, or isn't it that important?

Because I can already tell I'm going to spend at least 100 hours with this beauty... it's right up my alley!

Bollocks. Pure ores are quite rare; you don't just find them by killing the occasional lizard (unless very lucky). And you don't know how good the Morion/Clever Rat setup is because you never had the Morion Blade (although it did dictate why my arrow shots were something like 5X more damaging than yours when we were killing False King Allant).

Hmm that sounds very reasonable apart from a few small details. First, the European version has not been out for very long, so the chance of people having these weapons lying around to give away to stranges is slim. Second, I very much doubt that the duplication glitch still exists, or that most Europeans even know of it. Third, maybe some people like to make their weapons? They are very, very useful weapons to make (and you only need the best weapon by ---stone, so you're free to choose whatever weapons you wish to make).

Just wait for new game +. Oh wait, we were on NG+! And you missed a hell of a lot of them. Also, remember that large cave in 2-1? There must be at least 10 lizards in that room. Should you walk in, even with the thief's ring, they all start running and you'd be lucky to kill 2. Morion setup essential.

The thing is, MOST of the ores you can get from quests or as treasure; still, killing lizards is good to get hold of chunks since they're not exactly that common (some types).

Sorry Daft, I've got the US version and I haven't tried playing since the FW update. I could try during the weekend (at my girlfriend's atm).

I was rolling in and missing a lot of them because I don't think they're as necessary as you. I may attempt and fail but that's what happens sometimes. I've not argued that the morion blade/CRR isn't great (I know I don't have it) I've just said it isn't essential. Ok it might make lizards and Allant pretty piss but frankly you don't have to hunt for it, especially not as a new player.

So what other amazing weapons do you need pures for? Getting round with standard weapons and the odd forge is more than enough. Like you mentioned - the Meat Cleaver is easy to get and it's absolutely insane. No need for pures.

How important is the online in this?... cause I have no internets right now at my new house and won't till september (or better, I do have one of my neighbours' connection but it's signal is too weak for the ps3 to establish a stable connection. So, should I wait and play Mass Effect 2 and save this one for when online is pristine again, or isn't it that important?

Because I can already tell I'm going to spend at least 100 hours with this beauty... it's right up my alley!

Personally I would say very important. Just for the atmosphere the Ghosts/bloodstains/messages create.

Seeing ghosts walking around is just a completely brilliant idea. Gives a little confidence to see there's other people playing irl/irt and shows you aren't alone (even though you are).

Plus they can make you jump if you know you've cleared an area and one pops round a corner as you've left your guard down.

I think it would be a great experience on and offline, though online is definitely the way to go if you can. There's nothing like it.

So what other amazing weapons do you need pures for? Getting round with standard weapons and the odd forge is more than enough. Like you mentioned - the Meat Cleaver is easy to get and it's absolutely insane. No need for pures.

There's every need for pures. Get moon weapons maxed to stack magic damage on top of physical (good for magic users). Use dragonstone to add fire attack to stun lock enemies. Use bladestone for certain katanas. Or get a maxed blessed phosphorescent pole, adjudicators shield and a regenerator ring to stack all 3 HP regen effects (seriously good).

Got that sword from 4-1. It's damn slick. Way better than that painfully slow thing I was using before. Cheers Sheikah!

I had some weird glitch where when I was fighting my shield would randomly unequipped itself and sometimes my weapon would switch to the secondary. Was so fucking annoying and got me killed twice. I had to restart the console. Grrrrr...

Yeah, it's great until you've properly built your character for whatever weapon you want to eventually use. The damage as well as MP regen is awesome. In 4-1 there's also a talisman of god on the floor that will let you perform miracles, which will then let you cast some nice miracles that reduce damage or evacuate you straight back to the nexus.

As for stats, I think it's great to go with vitality (for HP), definitely endurance (for stamina and equip burden) and strength. It's good to increase your magical stats a little to let you memorise a few spells.

I already had a Talisman of God because I was a Temple Knight. Didn't realise the sword did magic regen, too. I only have the Heal spell at the mo.

Those are the stats I've been building but my magic is quite low. I think I have 49MP. I should start thinking about upgrading that, it seems.

What are some good spells to start with? (Also where do you get them? :heh: )

I was never much of a spellcaster, but I did start as a Royal therefore had Soul Arrow which did a flat 80ish damage and was useful earlier on. I mostly got the spells that were best for support in some way or another. Most good spells are got by trading Demon's Souls to either Sage Freke (free him from world 3-1 - the -1 being the first stage before the first boss in world 3 using a pair of keys found near the

NPC on the balcony who is chanting a spell to revive the boss; incidentally, make sure to pick up the silver catalyst in the room opposite this guy to let you cast spells

, Saint Urbain (go near the hole Patches asks you to inspect in 4-2) and Yuria the Witch (rescued in world 1, the area after Tower Knight).

For instance, Warding (spell) from Freke heavily reduces damage from enemies (trade for Iron Demon's Soul). My personal favourite is Second Chance, a miracle got by trading the Hero Demon's Soul to Urbain. If you take a hit that would normally kill you, you go to half health and the spell wears off.

There's also Curse Weapon from Yuria (need Silver Demon's Soul) which increases your right hand weapon damage by 50%, but reduces your HP constantly.

You can also get lesser spells and miracles already without rescuing these people. The apprentice of Freke and Urbain should be hanging around in the Nexus on the ground floor; notably they sell the evacuate miracle for 5,000 souls which can be very worthwhile (instant teleport out of the Nexus - good for farming souls at the 4-2 entrance).

You might also want to think about shifting your world tendency in world 2 to pure black later on (which basically involves you dying a lot in body form anywhere in that world). If you do this and go to where Scirvir the NPC is in 2-2, he's replaced by a black phantom version of himself. Killing him (although beware; he's quite difficult) nets you a Talisman of Beasts; a really useful charm that lets you cast both spells and miracles, so you don't need to switch out equipment.

Edited by Sheikah
Automerged Doublepost

Second chance is intense, I only bothered with 2 miracle slots so I could use that. Once your Intelligence/MP is high, Soul Ray is v.good, although not that important.

I found the Poison to be very useful, especially for when someone invades, because fairly few actually enter with antidotes, and so many end up trying to get away and find it quickly in their inventory, and you'll just be able to attack them when they try. You can also back into a corner and cast it a few times, which makes many unwilling to come towards you, giving you the chance to power up or get ready.

It's also great when fighting mini-bosses or strong standard enemies if you get the chance, it's a pychological thing almost as you know you're constantly inflicting damage for a minute or two and every hit feels better than usual. It worked great when I was fighting the Old King for instance.

One spell I haven't trialled is the homing soul arrow. It doesn't do massive damage but it creates several orbs that fire towards the target and it keeps going for a little while. Someone used it against me in the player boss fight and it was quite effective at breaking up my movements and generally pissed me off. Killed him eventually anyway.

One spell I haven't trialled is the homing soul arrow. It doesn't do massive damage but it creates several orbs that fire towards the target and it keeps going for a little while. Someone used it against me in the player boss fight and it was quite effective at breaking up my movements and generally pissed me off. Killed him eventually anyway.

Yeah the Old Monk's headgear that is automatically equipped to the summoned player's head does that automatically, it has a mind of its own. I'm not sure what determines the magic damage in that instance, but it's very damaging on NG+/NG++.

Oh right, is it just a one shot per cast thing if you're using the spell normally? If so then mehhry.

There should be a toilet break pause where you have 60 seconds to take a dump and you can only use it once every hour.

Is there a 'best' order to complete the levels? At the moment I'm doing 1-1, 2-1, 3-1 etc... then will probably go back and do 1-2, 2-2, 3-2 etc...

Is this the preffered method for a noob dungeon crawler such as myself?

Is there a 'best' order to complete the levels? At the moment I'm doing 1-1, 2-1, 3-1 etc... then will probably go back and do 1-2, 2-2, 3-2 etc...

I think you've got it right doing that, some of the later ones in some you can't do till you've done something in the other levels. I'm quite a noob at this game too :P had it since Christmas and I only seem to look good on it because my friends suck worse than me at it xD. Which version do you have? I only have the USA one as I imported it, but I guess everyone here is going to buy the new European version :(. I only bought it at the time because they said that the uk wasn't getting it.

4-1 is good to start with because you pick up a crescent falchion. World 2 is good to do 2-1 and 2-2 on to enable you to forge weapons. Leave world 5 until the end I say; it's a bloody pain in the arse. 3-1 is also good to pick up the clever rat's ring. Then finish off world 4 if you like to get the adjudicator's demon soul to make a meat cleaver, as well as the storm demon's soul to make the morion blade.

Once you have the morion blade and the clever rat's ring, you become unbelievably powerful when on low health. Best of luck to you.

I think you've got it right doing that, some of the later ones in some you can't do till you've done something in the other levels. I'm quite a noob at this game too :P had it since Christmas and I only seem to look good on it because my friends suck worse than me at it xD. Which version do you have? I only have the USA one as I imported it, but I guess everyone here is going to buy the new European version :(. I only bought it at the time because they said that the uk wasn't getting it.

Incorrect information.

Incorrect information.

Well no he is right, I think he's talking about world 1. In world 1 you can't go any further than the tower knight boss (ie. Onto 1-3) until you kill one of the archdemons in the other worlds (ie 2-3, 3-3, 4-3 or 5-3 bosses). But that's the only instance.

If anyone can put up with some of the trickiest enemies in world 4, they'll have a great time since the bosses are all easy and there's good loot and souls on offer.

Really enjoying this. I've played about 6 hours and I've barely done anything really. I love just dipping into worlds, smash and grabbing anything I can. :D

Also, I love how you open up shortcuts.

The whole shortcut thing is really neet, but it goes underused in many cases in favour of just archstones as levels become more linear and shorter in some cases.

And yeah, forgot about that one case, but he was using plurals so I am right ;).

The Armour Spider boss is a bitch. I just get raped at close range and have nowt long range... Grrr..