NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Your Favourite Place...In The Wooooorld

I've had this thread on my mind for the last few days, but I've only put my typing fingers to good use and decided to create it.

There are many beautiful places on Good Ol' Planet Earth. Granted, there are some really awful places too, for various reasons, but there are many places which can only be marveled at for their beauty.

What would you consider to be your favourite place in the world? When you think of this place, do you have a memory attached to it, or do you just like thinking about it? It could be anywhere: a city, a small town, a special place that reminds you of a time, or something else.

I guess mine is quite sentimental, and it is pretty silly, but one of my favourite places in the world is St. Pancras International, which I doubt that many people from here have been to.

6407533.jpg

st-pancras-station-02.jpg

I like this place for quite a few reasons. When I'm traveling to this place, or physically there, I get butterflies in my stomach, because I know I'm visiting Ine. It's like the excitement before a big game. :) Not only that, but I love looking up and seeing the high-ceiling. The only way to describe this place would be like a long corridor type style, and it does seem quite narrow. But, I like that. It also reminds me of that scene at the end of Love Actually, where people are greeting each other at Heathrow Airport. I walk down this corridor, and I see people smiling at the crowd, and in my head I try to work out who is waiting for who, or who is smiling at who. I guess it's one of these things you have to see for yourself, but it's very heartwarming to see these people being reunited with their loved ones.

There is also another place that I hold close to my heart:

2021693060034900498mYcOLz_fs.jpg

P1020016-BrusselsMidiZuid.jpg

More specifically, Sam's Cafe is where I usually meet the female. So, when I see that big yellow sign, it's kinda like seeing the finishing line. Also, about 10 feet or so away from that place, there is a square imprinted onto the floor. A year ago, a piano was placed above that square, one of these pianos that plays by itself. Well, I stood next to that piano, listening and watching, with various Belgium people coming up to me and speaking French and Dutch. I think I just turned to them and said "c'est magique!" A few minutes later, I turned around, and it was the first time I saw her with my own eyes.

So, whenever I'm at this place, I think back to that. I always look over, give it a quick glance to see if that piano is there. It was only there for a short time, but I still hear the music in my head, and it still feels like that first time over and over again.

It's kinda like a 2 in 1 deal there, haha. Although, with one comes the other. Sadly, after I've seen these places at the beginning of a journey, I'm soon back there again, but leaving. On the way home. Seeing St. Pancras again after being away is such a strange thing, but it always seems welcoming, like an old friend. I guess it is a very important part of my life now.

Over to you.

Vancouver. One day I hope to live there. If anyone ever gets the chance to go there, do. It's incredible.

I saw the thread title, and whilst thinking initially "ooh, maybe Cefalu in Sicily, or probably Rome", just before the page loaded I thought "actually, what about something like St Pancras station, whenever I come home from Uni I always feel happy going through it, as it's the start of the final leg, and it acts as the 'baseplate' for almost all other journeys".

As soon as I saw that picture of the roof, I felt a little chill run down my spine, it was spooky.

11590078.jpg

Waterloo Bridge.

I've been there at every time of day. I usually go across it about twice a day and it always, without fail, makes me stop and stare. It's different during the day from what it is at night to what it is in the early morning.

Early morning and sunrise on it is amazing. No one is around and the light is stunning.

waterloo_bridge_night_m.jpg

I've been around the world and seen wonders but Waterloo Bridge reminds me why I love London and why I live here.

I saw the thread title, and whilst thinking initially "ooh, maybe Cefalu in Sicily, or probably Rome", just before the page loaded I thought "actually, what about something like St Pancras station, whenever I come home from Uni I always feel happy going through it, as it's the start of the final leg, and it acts as the 'baseplate' for almost all other journeys".

As soon as I saw that picture of the roof, I felt a little chill run down my spine, it was spooky.

Haha, that is very spooky! Wow, we have the same special place, we're like brothers! ;)

I guess you can understand in some sense how the place is likeable, or how you can have affection for it. I was afraid people would say "dude, its a train station!"

11590078.jpg

Waterloo Bridge.

I've been there at every time of day. I usually go across it about twice a day and it always, without fail, makes me stop and stare. It's different during the day from what it is at night to what it is in the early morning.

Early morning and sunrise on it is amazing. No one is around and the light is stunning.

waterloo_bridge_night_m.jpg

I've been around the world and seen wonders but Waterloo Bridge reminds me why I love London and why I live here.

That does look very sweet. I've got a love for the sun, when it rises and when it sets, especially with a nice city backdrop to it. Although, I don't have much experience of Waterloo Bridge, since I haven't spent too much time in London.

I don't actually know what the place is called. It's a small German town we stopped at on our way back from Bavaria. It's was like stepping back in time. An impressive medieval castle, people walking around it traditional German dress. Buildings made of wood and painted with interesting decorations of many colours. The weather was great and so was the beer. The place looked like it had been nearly untouched for 200+ years. Never seen anything like it, certainly not in this country.

There's one place I would always think of:

11655043.jpg

Yep, Villa Park stadium, where me and about 40,000 other Brummies will go to on a Saturday afternoon and watch these 11 players kick a ball about a very-well-tended-so-well-tended-in-fact-it-sometimes-looks-like-a-carpet-so-you-can-never-ever-call-it-muddy pitch, and if they win we all go home happy with a large sense of pride because they represented our part of England against some other part of England and won three points.

Sounds like gibberish to some, but if you don't like/care/have an interest in football you just would not understand it.

There's also my home, where my bed is. If your home isn't one of your favourite places in the world then you suck, quite frankly.

I can remember back in my childhood home, before my parents finally divorced: We had a large garage to shelter the car in the harsh Highland winters and right at the back there was a plain wooden door. The wood was quite flimsy and the lock was cheap and stiff. Every now and again, when my parents to stretch their legs somewhere rather then the old quarry and the lake just down the road, we would go there. It was a mysterious place. A large field of heather strewn and flanked with trees that stood stiff against the wind, it was always still, silent, untouched and unruffled by both man and nature. Except us.

The heather blazed purple, rabbits dodging here and there amongst the low hanging branches while our dogs would charge clumsily after them. Eventually the inevitable happened and one of our dogs speared herself on a stick jutting our from the roots and had to be rushed to the vet, eight miles by narrow country lanes to the nearest town. My parents, ever the animal lovers, locked the door and we stuck to the quarry for our family walks from then on.

I guess mine is quite sentimental, and it is pretty silly, but one of my favourite places in the world is St. Pancras International, which I doubt that many people from here have been to.

I've been there, but I think they've rebuilt it since I was there. It was a few years ago and I remember getting a phone call there saying that my house had been broken into and a ton of stuff gone.

As for a favourite place. It's probably a place called Betty's Cottage somewhere near Keswick. Great countryside and it's a proper old house with massive brick walls.

I was at St Pancreas a while ago. Got off one line (I forget which, may have been Central) and wanted to make sure I know what is where for my Paris trip (as I'll have to be there at 6am so best I learn now :heh:) and I just remember the other lines being missions away in some mid-construction-work tunnels and me and some girl were wondering through them and went round a corner to another one and she looked behind, not at me but I was there, and I just joked "I was thinking the same thing" as it seemed like it would never end.

Anwyho I don't know if I have a favourite...I have places I like and places I've enjoyed going to but nowhere I go regularly enough to regard as a favourite. For instance I loved Shibuya just by the station for how busy and alive it was, and I loved just being in the centre of New York for similar reasons. So it would be places like that, but I don't have a specific as shockingly I don't find myself in Shibuya or Manhattan very often.

2305789735_74253ca4e4.jpgshibuya.jpg

Edited by Ashley

contender:

040402_rfoster_mp_geo_glencoe.jpg

Glencoe, Scotland.

The word awesome is overused to death these days but Glencoe is truly deserving of it. I've driven down it several times on holidays to Scotland over the years and it's always an amazing experience. It's the one place where I really feel the scale of nature, history and all the other forces around us. I went there last week and it's still as thrilling as the first time I saw it.

Honestly my favourite place in the world is home. I like being away and i enjoy visiting new places. But i love that feeling off being home.

But if we were picking a second favourite place. I liked Oslo a lot.

old_lagoon_photo.jpg

Hove Lagoon. Ok, so it's not what you would call a recent picture, but it's not actually THAT different today.

(if anything it's kind of eerie to see the houses in the background exactly the same)

Honestly my favourite place in the world is home. I like being away and i enjoy visiting new places. But i love that feeling off being home.

But if we were picking a second favourite place. I liked Oslo a lot.

Tough one. I've been to some amazing places, but I think I'll go for "no place like home". :heh:

Where is home for you guys? Share eet with us.

walney.jpg

walney_map300.jpg

Walney island. Just off the coast of cumbria (england incase you dont know where cumbria is) Luckily its connected by a bridge.

I was at St Pancras International today, I regularly use the station and its a shit hole. Too many dopey idiots with suitcases getting in the way of people trying to get places. I preferred it when my train stopped at King's Cross.

My favourite place:

highbury1.jpg

Highbury, just wish I made it to more matches there.

Edited by Ramar

old_lagoon_photo.jpg

Hove Lagoon. Ok, so it's not what you would call a recent picture, but it's not actually THAT different today.

(if anything it's kind of eerie to see the houses in the background exactly the same)

Heh, and there I was picturing a totally remote/ woodland kind of lagoon from all your stories. Funny, that.

Re: Houses- my humble abode is something in the region of 150 years old, so if one were to find old ass pictures of my road, little in the architecture would be noticeably different. The only major change would be the green in the middle of the road, which used to be a tennis court back when the road was built.

Oh and someone's house got blown up in the war. That too.

Auckland, I went there a few years back and it was the single best three week period of my life. New Zealand is just a breathtaking country with so many sights to see. To see Sky Tower light up at night is an awe-inspiring sight. I'm hoping to go traveling there next year.

270px-20041216_auckland_skyline_night.jpg

Standard pic from Wikipedia, but you can kinda get my point.

And Dan. Living up near the Caingorms, I kinda take those beautiful mountains for granted but your picture reminded me of how amazing they are.

Edited by Jon

Just go to Google Maps and smash in my address - Vesterbyvej 17, Vilslev (maybe specify it's in Denmark) - to see it. You can clearly see my house and our garden - even our garage! :D

Just go to Google Maps and smash in my address - Vesterbyvej 17, Vilslev (maybe specify it's in Denmark) - to see it. You can clearly see my house and our garden - even our garage! :D

Dosent sound like the sort of place there will be a lot of :)

Dosent sound like the sort of place there will be a lot of :)

Most likely not, but I don't know if Google Maps can figure it out otherwise. :heh:

Oh joy, where to start? OK, I'll do Britain, then Europe, then the world:

Britain:

London- It wouldn't be the same without my home city. The culture, history and general beauty of the place is unique. Nothing beats it.

1200px-London_panorama_top_monument.jpg

Bermuda- Not sure it can be considered part of 'Britain', but hey ho, sub tropical sunshine, pink sandy beaches and warm blue waters in a British owned island is fine by me.

250px-BDA_A.jpg

Tenby- A picteresque Welsh village on the Pembrokeshire coast, life flies by here at the pace of a snail. The beautiful remains of a castle adorn the centre of the town, and the beach ain't half bad either.

Tenby2.jpg

Europe:

Agde-A lovely historic town on the French Riviera. Very relaxing. And hot.

250px-Agde-hotel-galliot-DSCF1163.jpg

Vatican- The equivalent to Catholics of Mecca to Muslims. Upon converting, I took it upon myself to visit the most important site in my religion- the tomb of Apostle Peter, otherwise known as St Peter's Basilica. A marvellous bit of architecture, and a very spiritual and beautiful place.

700px-Vatican_StPeter_Square.jpg

799px-Vatican-StPierre-IntC3A9rieur.jpg

Berlin- worth it for the history alone. I went back in the day for an A-level field trip. It gave me the perfect chance to practise some dusty German.

800px-Berlin_skyline_2009.jpg

World:

US deserts- We drove through some American deserts a while back. Beautiful place, and the night sky... well, let's just say every star in creation is visible.

800px-Sonoran_Desert_33_081359_n112.jpg

New England- For some inconcievable reason you can't get to England and are abroad and want some taste of England on holiday (namely holidays in the US), New England is reminscent of the motherland in both name and nature. Green meadows, rocky coastline and wonderful lighthouses. Just... wonderful.

Egypt- The only place on this list I've never been to, it's apparantly brimming with ancient history, serene beauty, blistering heat and devout religious contrasts. Yes please.

Alexcoast.jpg

It is worth noting all these photos are from Wiki. But they are authentic.

Edited by navarre

I'm always looking for the perfect place!

My favourites are wooded valleys like Matlock Bath. A river runs through it and the sides are really high, steep and green.

I also love real classic seasides, with high cliffs, crashing waves, salty air and the sound of herring gulls. They also need a touch of lights and entertainment. Scarborough is probably the best one that fits the bill.

Another favourite of mine is Great Yarmouth. It's flat and there are no cliffs, but it's a "real" seaside in most ways. There's so much to do, and it has probably the best wooden roller coaster in England.

Hmm, lets' see... another all-time favourite of mine is Blackgang Chine on the Isle of Wight. Magical, mysterious and steeped in legend, either by day or lit up at night. I've been visiting it since 1983. Shame it's crumbling away.

(Shanklin Chine's another great one - smaller and less mysterious, but greener.)

Finally, my favourite place abroad is probably a little piece of Western France - La Palmyre near Royanne. It's coastal with huge pine forests. Beware if you go for a bike ride though - I did and got lost for five hours!

tadworth_chippy.jpg

Favourite place is round back of chippy like. Feels like having a right nice steak and kidney pie.