NEurope
Caris

Some thread about 3D gaming where people argue

All handhelds are pointless. Unless portable games are built into a phone or music player (iPhone/Touch) there's no point in playing them. They should all just be a quick bit of fun in my view, the app store has nailed it too with the pricing. I don't even have an ipod or DS/PSP.

Portable games are limited compared to full on console experiences, so make them simple and fun, not in order to compete with disc games.

It's not the just the graphics that get me, it's the fact that the online is terrible and the lack of hardcore games is a joke.

This thread is basically why I think the Wii is garbage.

It's the first generation since I started gaming that a Nintendo console hans't been my main one.

But you're getting your in-depth/hardcore gaming fix on the PS3 and Xbox.

So why does it matter if the Wii hasn't got many hardcore(HC) games and even if it did have more HC games, you mentioned the SD graphics would be a problem for you?

That's like saying, I want a better games but I'm still not going to buy them.

All handhelds are pointless. Unless portable games are built into a phone or music player (iPhone/Touch) there's no point in playing them. They should all just be a quick bit of fun in my view, the app store has nailed it too with the pricing. I don't even have an ipod or DS/PSP.

Portable games are limited compared to full on console experiences, so make them simple and fun, not in order to compete with disc games.

I'm just going to be arguing against your opinion with this post, so I'm probably wasting my time.

Handhelds have there own place in the gaming economy and consoles have theirs.

Why are handhelds pointless, just because you have no interest in them?

Well OK maybe they shouldn't be gotten rid of, there are many great handheld games out there, but they need to be integrated into a device that has phone/music functionality. Soon iPhone graphics will be rally good and it will no longer be good enough to charge £30 for a handheld game. Most people don't buy them because it's an extra thing to carry.

Well OK maybe they shouldn't be gotten rid of, there are many great handheld games out there, but they need to be integrated into a device that has phone/music functionality. Soon iPhone graphics will be rally good and it will no longer be good enough to charge £30 for a handheld game. Most people don't buy them because it's an extra thing to carry.

To be fair, most people don't carry a DS or PSP around with them all the time. It's mainly kids that do that.

The DS has plenty of good games and continues to sell at phenomenal levels. Which means it's going to be a long time for a successor to come out. And to be fair, I prefer 2D gaming on my handhelds, thanks.

The thing that I love about handheld gaming is the pick up and play elements of it. The fact that you can just simply turn it on and get gaming within seconds. I love being able to just grab my DS and play something really quickly, but then can stop if I need to. Sometimes it feels a bit ritualistic when I'm playing on a home console, because I need to make sure the tv isn't being used, then get the game in, boot up, and I think a lot more time is wasted before you actually get into that "zone." When I'm around the female's place, and she's working on a project, I just grab her DS and kick arse at some Tetris or Advance Wars. Quick and easy.

I agree with what Dwarf says about the price though. 30 quid for a handheld game is a bit insane considering you can buy a home console game for a bit more. But then, should we really be thinking of handheld games as scaled down home console games? Imo, we shouldn't. They should be in their own league, an alternative to home consoles.

Have to agree with what most of you guys are saying about Nintendo. This is the first generation that I've played a non Nintendo system more than the Ninty offering.

I still look forward to the Mario's and the Zelda's, but they seem to be few and far between now a days with Nintendo focusing on stuff like Wii Music and Fit.

The fact that I haven't played my Wii in 3/4 months and the last game I bought was Animal Crossing says it all really.

Have to agree with what most of you guys are saying about Nintendo. This is the first generation that I've played a non Nintendo system more than the Ninty offering.

I still look forward to the Mario's and the Zelda's, but they seem to be few and far between now a days with Nintendo focusing on stuff like Wii Music and Fit.

The fact that I haven't played my Wii in 3/4 months and the last game I bought was Animal Crossing says it all really.

Motivation is a key factor, I think. I mean, if you were to ask someone like Redshell what games are worth playing after Animal Crossing, he could probably reel off a list. But, for some reason, these games just don't seem to captivate people (more particularly, people with multiple systems) anymore. They probably would if they were purchased and played, but when they're on the shelves, I think people just think "nah, I'll give it a miss."

When was the last time they invoked such spirit and cheer in the hearts of men (and women) like this....

Probably 2 years after that video was filmed.

I expect the next time will be at E3 this year. Assuming the Zelda reveal doesn't get delayed.

I haven't completely abandoned the Wii yet. 2010 is looking to be another 2007ish year for the console.

The Wii is a weird console, with an even weirder user base.

Another problem is most 3rd parties don't put in much effort, so fuck them.

On the other hand, the DS is one of the best gaming systems ever, with something for everyone. That's what the Wii should have been, but unfortunately it didn't turn out that way.

totally agree the ds proves that it's not so much the graphics that are at fault..

it's the games people it's the games. They've went for the shiny casual audience who WILL turn against them at the first sight of something shinier leaving behind no hardcore fans.

Still the Wii is like the little brother you don't want to give up on. Still holding out hope that something good will come along and make you smile again. But one thing I've noticed is that with the Cube that was mine. I brought all the games accessories etc and I could do whatever I want with it.

With the Wii I brought it. I still buy all the games and accessories etc. But its not mine. Ever since the day it was connected up to the living room tv it stopped being mine. I quite enjoyed sailing on the blue ocean for awhile. But I think this is where I'll get off. Our paths may cross again once in a while, but I don't think i'd ever stay for anything more than a drink and a brief chat. Even a new smash bros couldn't bring me back.

Motivation is a key factor, I think. I mean, if you were to ask someone like Redshell what games are worth playing after Animal Crossing, he could probably reel off a list. But, for some reason, these games just don't seem to captivate people (more particularly, people with multiple systems) anymore. They probably would if they were purchased and played, but when they're on the shelves, I think people just think "nah, I'll give it a miss."

Well some people are more easily satified than others. It's embarassing to look at sites like gametrailers where no wii game was nominated for game of the year. no not even mario bros wii.

That's what I'm like.

But because there's always a positive discussion on this side of the forum, I'm more likely to buy a PS3 game.

There is not enough positive discussion on the Wii side or it turns into a system war.

The PS3/Xbox side is too closed minded when it comes to the Wii. (Me included).

Edited by The Lillster

Thats part of it. When I look at the PS3 shelf, and the Wii shelf, I see games I want to play on both shelves, but a lot of the Wii games I want to play are really overpriced for what you're getting. At least compared to some of the deals you can get on other consoles. Take CoD for example. The Wii version and the PS3/360 version of CoD 4, and W@W both sell for the same price on the Wii and the other consoles in most places. Especially if you take into account that CoD is primarily an online game, it just seems stupid to buy the Wii version over the PS3 version, and if you look at W@W, the Wii version is gimped even further. Sure, the controls are better, but otherwise, there's no real reason to go for the Wii version. If you look at some of the AAA games from earlier in the generation, you can get something like Uncharted for $30, heck, I picked up Assassin's Creed for $15 the other day, but when I look at the Wii shelf, some of the games have retained their value so well, they're actually selling for more than I originally paid for them, even though the games themselves aren't really selling anymore, so you would think it would be time to bring the prices down... Nintendo really needs to introduce back the Player's Choice thing from last generation, tbh.

I would say Nintendo's main mistakes for this generation are the following though:

Not Holding back Metroid Prime 3 Until 2008

Nintendo Wifi Connection

No Demos

Lack of marketing for core 1st party games early on.

Not paying to bring multiplatform games to the console.

Not Packing the Classic Controller in the Box

Not giving the option of getting a core game in the box rather than Wii Sports

E3 2008

As I said in another thread. I still love Nintendo, but thats in the same way you still love a family member who's done something wrong.

Edited by Emasher

Still the Wii is like the little brother you don't want to give up on. Still holding out hope that something good will come along and make you smile again. But one thing I've noticed is that with the Cube that was mine. I brought all the games accessories etc and I could do whatever I want with it.

With the Wii I brought it. I still buy all the games and accessories etc. But its not mine. Ever since the day it was connected up to the living room tv it stopped being mine. I quite enjoyed sailing on the blue ocean for awhile. But I think this is where I'll get off. Our paths may cross again once in a while, but I don't think i'd ever stay for anything more than a drink and a brief chat. Even a new smash bros couldn't bring me back.

Didn't you just make that post? (i.e piss off with the mataphorical shit)

Didn't you just make that post? (i.e piss off with the mataphorical shit)

Probably. I guess I just really want a reason to still like it. But I think first time round it was a childhood friend. Must be the green tea I had. Made me start splurting out this zen wushu crap.

Either way I guess we'll find out in 6 months if it can still print money.

The Game overthinker did an episoide at one point about why we all still love nintendo through these sort of down times. It's really worth a watch (well, all his stuff is really though)

Still the Wii is like the little brother you don't want to give up on. Still holding out hope that something good will come along and make you smile again.

I'm not going to lie, man...I almost threw up reading that part.

One thing I don't understand is where so many Wii owners yearn for the Gamecube years. Did everyone just somehow forget them? So far, I think third party releases on the Wii have been far, far better and more varied than they were on the Cube. I loved the Cube, but I'm enjoying the Wii so much more. But, in terms of generations, gamers were moaning back then, if not around the same amount as they are now.

Well some people are more easily satified than others. It's embarassing to look at sites like gametrailers where no wii game was nominated for game of the year. no not even mario bros wii.

Why does it matter what Gametrailers nominate for their game of the year? It doesn't have to have a bearing on what you enjoy. The more easily satisfied than others part doesn't mean "they like what they are given", but really I think that people need to be giving some of these Wii games a chance, and not just write them off before they even play them.

That's what I'm like.

But because there's always a positive discussion on this side of the forum, I'm more likely to buy a PS3 game.

There is not enough positive discussion on the Wii side or it turns into a system war.

The PS3/Xbox side is too closed minded when it comes to the Wii. (Me included).

I get what you mean. Luckily, there's still a small cult following in the Wii boards, but sometimes it just seems a bit...disheartening to go in there. Sometimes there's a small surge when there's a new release. But, check the punchout thread for instance. About 5 posts since I initially posted when I got the game...for such a nice little game, it seems a little sad.

Thats part of it. When I look at the PS3 shelf, and the Wii shelf, I see games I want to play on both shelves, but a lot of the Wii games I want to play are really overpriced for what you're getting. At least compared to some of the deals you can get on other consoles. Take CoD for example. The Wii version and the PS3/360 version of CoD 4, and W@W both sell for the same price on the Wii and the other consoles in most places. Especially if you take into account that CoD is primarily an online game, it just seems stupid to buy the Wii version over the PS3 version, and if you look at W@W, the Wii version is gimped even further. Sure, the controls are better, but otherwise, there's no real reason to go for the Wii version. If you look at some of the AAA games from earlier in the generation, you can get something like Uncharted for $30, heck, I picked up Assassin's Creed for $15 the other day, but when I look at the Wii shelf, some of the games have retained their value so well, they're actually selling for more than I originally paid for them, even though the games themselves aren't really selling anymore, so you would think it would be time to bring the prices down... Nintendo really needs to introduce back the Player's Choice thing from last generation, tbh.

I would say Nintendo's main mistakes for this generation are the following though:

Not Holding back Metroid Prime 3 Until 2008

Nintendo Wifi Connection

No Demos

Lack of marketing for core 1st party games early on.

Not paying to bring multiplatform games to the console.

Not Packing the Classic Controller in the Box

Not giving the option of getting a core game in the box rather than Wii Sports

E3 2008

As I said in another thread. I still love Nintendo, but thats in the same way you still love a family member who's done something wrong.

Looking over my Wii games, I don't think I have too many which are third party multiplatform. The Wii has fallen on its face there. In terms of Third Party Exclusives, it's got a lovely selection, but the multiplatform games do seem inferior to what is put on the other systems. The trouble is that the Wii versions are too often treated as smaller versions of the "big" 360/PS3 counterparts. They should be created with the Wii in mind, and too often they are not. When developers have timescales to work with, I guess maybe it is asking a lot of them to do this.

Why does it matter what Gametrailers nominate for their game of the year? It doesn't have to have a bearing on what you enjoy. The more easily satisfied than others part doesn't mean "they like what they are given", but really I think that people need to be giving some of these Wii games a chance, and not just write them off before they even play them.

but something like that had never happened before.. there was always SOMETHING you could nominate for wii or gamecube for a massive game of the year title. Even in gamecubes time there was loads.

I'm using it to show my point anyway, I like to think that I know what I like to play before I even play it. I have no choice really its very difficult to rent wii games where im from whereas its simple for ps3 and 360 games and also they tend to cost more. So I HAVE to read reviews and judge it on players opinions.

and then It's hard to take recommendations from wii purest seriously at least for me. Because a lot of games get the " pity" vote. Yes it's innovative but is it FUN!? yes it sold badly but is there a reason for this!?

I don't think I'm a horrible person for waiting for those big budget titles and expecting them from third parties while being very wery of the niche budget-looking titles.

I think what the Wii side of the forum needs, is somebody that promotes and encourages positive Wii discussion and has the power to exile posters (including Mods) that are determined to ruin that discussion for everyone else.

Sort of like a Nintendo version of Choze.

I'm sure when I start playing the Wii again, I'll be like, what was all the fuss about?!?

I think what the Wii side of the forum needs, is somebody that promotes and encourages positive Wii discussion and has the power to exile posters (including Mods) that are determined to ruin that discussion for everyone else.

Sort of like a Nintendo version of Choze.

I'm sure when I start playing the Wii again, I'll be like, what was all the fuss about?!?

his name is zechs :D

Ah now in fairness I try my best to keep it positive the wiis next years line-up doesnt look hald bad so far.

Since there are so many people with other consoles now, people put priorities over the bigger games on the other consoles over the Wii. Frankly, the Wii just seems dated in comparison, and it only has the motion controls, and the Nintendo exclusives as it's only selling point.

For long time gamers, Nintendo consoles, really, have only been about playing the Nintendo exclusives, like Zelda, Mario and Metroid etc. I'm sure everyone will get Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid, and of course Zelda, but I doubt most people will care about the other stuff, when they have limited time and budget and there are other games on the other systems worth spending money on.

The Wii is a different market, and if it was on the same level as the 360 and PS3 in terms of horsepower, the story would be very different. I mean, only a very very small percentage of multi console owners care about The Conduit(example).. there are other FPS games to buy.

his name is zechs :D

Ah now in fairness I try my best to keep it positive the wiis next years line-up doesnt look hald bad so far.

The problem with Zechs, is that he tries his hardest to find anything negative against Sony (at least in most threads I've been in). This creates a system war discussion and we're back to square one.

Edit: It was a mistake on my behalf to say we need a Nintendo version of Choze.

Edited by The Lillster

The problem with Zechs, is that he tries his hardest to find anything negative against Sony (at least in most threads I've been in). This creates a system war discussion and we're back to square one.

He is loud and wants to be heard, constantly knocking every else, and pretty much gives Nintendo fans a bad name.

We have pro-Nintendo members who are fairly competent at discussing. Flink and Tapedeck often discuss things fairly well (or, as well as Flink can discuss things without elongating vowels).

And Daft: the error code guide seems to have gone. You can stop moaning now :p