NEurope
Caris

Some thread about 3D gaming where people argue

I know Choze got owned, but you guys sure like rubbing it in.

I guess Choze was never a popular character around here?

I know Choze got owned, but you guys sure like rubbing it in.

I guess Choze was never a popular character around here?

He's especially unpopular because he isn't part of The Order of Nintendo Knights.

Wrong man, wrong forum.

Edited by Tissue Town

I don't think that's true. I think there are a lot of people on the Other boards that don't play Nintendo any more.

Right, just read briefly the thread. Right, Choze doesn't know what he's talking about, and there are some facts here and there that people are getting wrong:

-Unless this was a typo, Imax is a film format.. and not a file format.

-35mm film isn't measured by pixels. It can be 100000 pixels in theory, but that would take an age, and it would produce horrible results. In general film resolution is printed at a 2k resolution, pretty much on par with 1080 resolutions. There are exceptions of course, highlighted in Wikipedia. Movies that are done digitally are most of the time done in 2k resolutions as well.

So in actual fact, Blu Ray movies, in terms of resolution, are as good as you will get. You won't get next gen movies in 4k, because most were not done at that resolution.

-In regards to cinema, most cinemas use projectors, copies of the master print, which again is mostly in 2k. Projection based cinema is bad quality due to the scratches, dirt, being used a lot etc.

-Digital cinemas are in 2K and are generally flawless. They use hard drives.

-Again, Imax, like film, is done on film, 65mm to be exact. So resolution output isn't set in stone. But obviously, much higher quality, and higher resolutions can be achieved.

The Imax cinemas in London are the BFI, Science Museums, Greenwich and Wimbledon.

I don't think that's true. I think there are a lot of people on the Other boards that don't play Nintendo any more.

I think your half right.

I agree that there's a lot of people on this forum, that aren't interested in playing Nintendo as much as there used to be (me included) but ultimately I think we're all interested in what Nintendo is doing (in one way or another).

I'll always be primarily a Nintendo fan (that's just the way I am). However, if you asked me what my favourite console is at the moment, I'd say the PS3 without any hesitation. :smile:

Edit: Fixed for you Daft. :smile:

Edited by The Lillster

I'm only interested insofar as how Microsoft and Sony react and, as always happens, improve on any form of innovation.

Plus, I said 'play' Nintendo. :heh:

On the flip side, Nintendo are so resistant to react to other company's development and thus the Wii has a massive storage limitation and pitiful online.

I used to be a Nintendo zealot. Went to the Wii launch and all. Now? I'm much happier with the direction Sony are heading.

I'm only interested insofar as how Microsoft and Sony react and, as always happens, improve on any form of innovation.

Plus, I said 'play' Nintendo. :heh:

On the flip side, Nintendo are so resistant to react to other company's development and thus the Wii has a massive storage limitation and pitiful online.

I used to be a Nintendo zealot. Went to the Wii launch and all. Now? I'm much happier with the direction Sony are heading.

Yeh, sorry about that, fixed now.

I think it's good that Nintendo tries to be different from the other two but sometimes I think Nintendo tries to be different, just for the sake of being different.

Edited by The Lillster

I think Nintendo have completely focussed on pleasing a completely different set of customers, but they still produce the odd game that I just don't see on other consoles. I definitely play on my PS3 more, though. I love my RPGs.

Yeh, sorry about that, fixed now.

I think it's good that Nintendo tries to be different from the other two but sometimes I think Nintendo tries to be different, just for the sake of being different.

Yeah, totally. Competition is key and I think all three companies innovate in very different areas, imo.

Nintendo, originally focused on gameplay, is now pushing accessibility - that's had an obvious effect on Microsoft and Sony. Also, Nintendo are a first party powerhouse.

Microsoft, in my eyes, really made a massive contribution with gametags (achievements, et al), a whole online ID and they've got the very robust - although probably more restrictive - XBL. PSN wouldn't be anywhere near as complete as it is if it didn't take after XBL.

Sony, and this is why I like them so much, seem to really be pushing the medium with games like Heavy Rain and flower (even Uncharted 2 to an extent fits into this ethos) - games I don't see happening anywhere else. Also, their hardware is absolutely exceptional. I'm playing God of War II now and the step up from the first is massive. Likewise, with the PS3, upcoming games are looking better and better. Also, I know a lot of people criticize them for lacking innovation, but I love how they take and improve existing ideas (I think trophies are much better structured than achievements - although essentially they are the same thing). Sony also seem to have run away with first and second party titles - the sheer quantity is astonishing.

Anyway, that was amazingly off topic.

How did I miss this thread? Like tissue said, some things Choze said is actually right (if only he had the brains) and somethings Daft said was wrong.

Cinema IS Filmed in 1080p digitally; 720, and 1080 are COMPLETELY cinema standards. Like Tissue said, Film isn't pixels or lines of resolution, but it is equivalent to about 4k lines of resolution (not 2k); the best HD cameras you can get can reach this level, but there aren't many. If you played a bluray at your local cinema on a 1080p capable projector (which 90% of all cinemas will have(2k minimum)) then it would look as good as anything else.

I will also add that in the uk, from this year, all cinemas are getting rid of their film projectors and going digital, we are completely leading the way with the transfer over (for better and worse). Film to record on will stay around for a good while yet, but the first thing that will happen to those film reels it will get digitised!

Edited by dazzybee

How did I miss this thread? Like tissue said, some things Choze said is actually right (if only he had the brains) and somethings Daft said was wrong.

Cinema IS Filmed in 1080p digitally; 720, and 1080 are COMPLETELY cinema standards. Like Tissue said, Film isn't pixels or lines of resolution, but it is equivalent to about 4k lines of resolution (not 2k); the best HD cameras you can get can reach this level, but there aren't many. If you played a bluray at your local cinema on a 1080p capable projector (which 90% of all cinemas will have(2k minimum)) then it would look as good as anything else.

1080p is not what cinema resolution is referred to as. It's 2k, 4k etc.

1080p refers to HDTV video modes. Cinema has nothing to do with 1080p.

Secondly, 1080(p) resolution is 1920 x 1080

2k resolution is 2048x1080, where the vertical pixel resolution differs depending on the aspect ratio.

Also 720 isn't a cinema standard.

Furthermore, 35mm film resolution is only comparable to 4k if the quality of the shot is good enough, otherwise everyone would just go 4k.

Finally, HD digital film cameras shoot at various resolutions, all depends on the camera. One of the most common cameras, the Panavision outputs a resolution of 1920 x 1080 for example. Which is Blu Ray quality.

Just to get facts straight.

I never said it was "referred" to as. I was saying that digital cameras shoot on those formats, I use them all the time. I've used the best HD Digital cameras on the market and they shoot in 1080P or whatever you want to shoot it in.

I don't understand your comment about 35mm only being 4k if the shot is good enough. Well I'm sure you mean the lighting conditions (if you're working with professionals it should always be good enough :) ); maybe so, but still , ultimately it's at about 4k. With regards to digital cameras, the very few that shoot at 4k is the closest you get to film; they're pretty much comparable (though the image has different qualities).

As for 720 being cinema standard, I'm referring to what stuff is shot at. There have been films which have been shot at this standard which have had theatrical releases, thats what I meant. I think Daft scoffed at Choze using 720 and 1080, I was saying this standard IS used in cinema. Does that make sense?

I just want to point out I had very little idea what I was talking about. Through this entire thread.

I just want to point out I had very little idea what I was talking about. Through this entire thread.

Who cares, you owned him :D In Style I may add. You were pretty much spot on throughout.

I never said it was "referred" to as. I was saying that digital cameras shoot on those formats, I use them all the time. I've used the best HD Digital cameras on the market and they shoot in 1080P or whatever you want to shoot it in.

I don't understand your comment about 35mm only being 4k if the shot is good enough. Well I'm sure you mean the lighting conditions (if you're working with professionals it should always be good enough :) ); maybe so, but still , ultimately it's at about 4k. With regards to digital cameras, the very few that shoot at 4k is the closest you get to film; they're pretty much comparable (though the image has different qualities).

As for 720 being cinema standard, I'm referring to what stuff is shot at. There have been films which have been shot at this standard which have had theatrical releases, thats what I meant. I think Daft scoffed at Choze using 720 and 1080, I was saying this standard IS used in cinema. Does that make sense?

Shooting at 1080p makes no sense to me, as that is video display. Unless the camera you have used refer to your shooting mode as 1080p, which is just weird and makes no sense.

And once again, 35mm film doesn't have any resolution. It's output to 2k most of the time because that is the best resolution you can get the majority of the time. This is why you rarely see 4k movies.

And if you could name a few movies shot at 720, that would be great.

Well shit loads. A recent big-ish one would be 28 days later. But films have been shot on loads worse - Pi, El Mariachi, Blair Witch, wouldn't surprise me if Paranormal Activity was.

And what are you on about 35mm outputs to 2k? *sometimes* when it's transferred to film print it goes 2k, but I would say 4k more so. And ultimately, what it ends up as isn't as important. All films end up on DVD, but a 4k film will look different to a 2k film; even though they both end up the same.

The cameras I use? The same cameras used to shoot the Starwars prequels, Miami Vice, Che films and pretty much the same if not better than every single digital film out there.

Well shit loads. A recent big-ish one would be 28 days later. But films have been shot on loads worse - Pi, El Mariachi, Blair Witch, wouldn't surprise me if Paranormal Activity was.

And what are you on about 35mm outputs to 2k? *sometimes* when it's transferred to film print it goes 2k, but I would say 4k more so. And ultimately, what it ends up as isn't as important. All films end up on DVD, but a 4k film will look different to a 2k film; even though they both end up the same.

The cameras I use? The same cameras used to shoot the Starwars prequels, Miami Vice, Che films and pretty much the same if not better than every single digital film out there.

These films were not shot at 720. They were filmed on 16mm film or cheaper film cameras. Again, resolution isn't set.

And regarding the outputs.. I've honestly lost track of what we're debating on that topic. Film is film, it's not digital, and thus, there is no pixel resolution. I was just referring to the most common resolution used in cinema. So I think we can leave it at that, because we're not going anywhere.

He's especially unpopular because he isn't part of The Order of Nintendo Knights.

Wrong man, wrong forum.

Yeah don't agree tissue town. I'm not in the nintendo crowd anymore despite visiting this site since the n64 days. However in the aside from the odd game no longer offers what I want from a modern console. Notice I didn't use next gen blah blah. For me a modern console needs all this extra stuff that both Sony and Microsoft offer in addition to the gaming experience which for me put them up and above the Wii. Just a unified friends list for example is such a small thing that will never happen on the Wii. The list really does go on. Where Choze's problem lay was his blinkered view of all things Sony a lot of what he said was right to a degree just it not to the extremes that he made it out to seem. Most people would except the Wii certainly has its merits as a console even if its not for them whereas he simply wouldn't. Also Sony are by no means perfect and for every amazing decision they make to move the console forward they seem to come up with an equally dumb one.

Yeah me to...I have a HDTV that runs 1080something and my games look gorgeous on it, so thats all I need to know really..

These films were not shot at 720. They were filmed on 16mm film or cheaper film cameras. Again, resolution isn't set.

Okay, let's stop this but have to say that 28 days later was shot on a Canon XL1 with max resolution of 720x576, a digital camera, not film. Blair witch was shot on an even worse digital camera than that. Many films are shot digitally at this standard (less so now because you can get amazing cameras for cheap).

Just for the record they could always upscale the 720x576 to 1920x1080 if they wanted.

How do people know all this stuff about film resolution...seriously. It's unholy. You should all set up a brand of some sort. :)

Only thing on the horizon that will bring me back to the Wii will probably tales of graces. But that's an RPG, and like hell my family will let me sit there and play an RPG on the main Tv. And I'll be damned if I try taking the Wii to my room. Catch 22. So I just decided to get an xbox 360 and screw the whole thing.

To me Nintendo is like the friend you've had your whole life. Went to school together, best friends in nursery and primary school. But then in secondary school he decides he doesn't like you anymore and goes off with his blue ocean friends. You try to be nice and check in on him from time to time. But as time goes by you just fall more and more apart.

Last Wii game I bought was Conduit. Nuff said.

To me Nintendo is like the friend you've had your whole life. Went to school together, best friends in nursery and primary school. But then in secondary school he decides he doesn't like you anymore and goes off with his blue ocean friends. You try to be nice and check in on him from time to time. But as time goes by you just fall more and more apart.

And he's a bit funny in the head.

And he's a bit funny in the head.

That's from all the pot he's been taking. But Sony and Microsoft think its cool and so have decided to start taking some too. Hopefully they won't get addicted.

All though I have been wondering for a while if N-E will ever go multiformat. Wouldn't be the first nintendo site to do so.