NEurope
Caris

Some thread about 3D gaming where people argue

ps3-3d-113.jpg

You know what's absolutely useless? A video of Wipeout HD being played in 3D, with some schmuck wearing 3D glasses and babbling on about how much fun he's having. Well, that schmuck is this Engadget editor, the video can be found after the break, and we've gotta say: we loved it. Especially for something like Wipeout HD, whose neon-infused tracks make for an almost too convenient example of rapidly approaching vanishing points, we'd say 3D could really be a quasi-"killer app" for consoles going forward -- especially if those fancy new motion controllers don't catch on for Microsoft and Sony. In many ways, 3D just seems to make more sense in a video game than for a movie, and the whole problem of finding content to deliver in the format has already been solved: a software update for the PS3 sometime in 2010 will enable it to provide a 3D viewing experience to "all" existing games on the system. We're sure there will be some exceptions, but it sounds very promising. The console itself pumps out a quite regular signal over HDMI, which the TV syncs up with your 3D glasses. A 200Hz TV, for instance, alternates 1080p frames, with 100Hz for each eye. Of course, you'll need a brand new TV, but at least it won't be restricted to just Sony televisions. Start saving those pennies!

Engadget

Now this is exciting!

Mmm promising indeed... but with that said, most - including myself - will need to buy a new HDTV with a high enough refresh rate which will make some people wonder if it is in-fact worth it for a mere visual 'enhancement' afterall it doesn't actually add anything new to the gameplay, the games will still play the same but will have an extra dimension to them.

Regardless, it's worth keeping an eye on, personally I am considering a HDTV upgrade sometime next year maybe so this will no doubt be a nice 'bonus' for doing so.

I don't know why many people are so resistant to the idea of 3D gaming. I would always play like that if I had the choice.

Regardless, it's worth keeping an eye on, personally I am considering a HDTV upgrade sometime next year maybe so this will no doubt be a nice 'bonus' for doing so.

Yeah I was thinking of getting a 1080p TV in the January sales but it looks like I'll hold on!

>_> This push for 3D is plain dumb at the moment. IIRC there are about 3 different ways to accomplish 3D, at least 2 of them require the user to pay a absurd amount of cash for the appropriate TV and Glasses. It's all well and good until the industry decides against the idea as a whole or changes technology leaving you with the proverbial betamax or HDDVD.

Yeah I was thinking of getting a 1080p TV in the January sales but it looks like I'll hold on!

Exactly... I'm in the same position, I've had a Samsung for about 4 years or so now and it's more than adequate and while 1080p would be nice for my next set, there will most likely be further advancements in HDTV in 2010 so it may well be worth holding on for a bit and seeing what happens. :)

HD is getting cheaper all the time and 3D integration is an extra 10-15% cost wise and will most likely be standard with all HD TVs soon.

Sky TV are rolling out 3D TV in 2010... If this takes off I can see the next consoles that come out will be in 3D

Meh, that's still ridiculous Daft. The consoles encourage you to buy into HD and then suddenly your set is inadequete because of one missing feature.

Maybe next gen but I can see it being a half arsed effort this time round.

Edited by dwarf

I must admit, I'd prefer if this new technology were properly built into HDTV's as standard to avoid having to wear 'special' glasses everytime I want to play a game - how awkward would that be ffs? :/ - but at the same time it's not really a massive selling point, just a bonus for those who choose to buy a new HDTV when it becomes standard.

I can't see 3D Vision really taking off until they manage to do it without glasses. Especially in a home setting.

Meh, that's still ridiculous Daft. The consoles encourage you to buy into HD and then suddenly you're set is inadequete because of one missing feature.

Maybe next gen but I can see it being a half arsed effort this time round.

I was talking about the actual television sets. I said nothing about market penetration.

I think it's absurd to think games will push 3D that much this generation. The movie industry is a different matter since that isn't a generational thing.

Until they improve autosterioscopic 3D TVs, I don't think it'll have mass appeal. I've seen one demoed and it was kind of cool but also kind of crap (although the source material was crap). To get a properly clear image you need to up the resolution to minimum 4,000 lines. That's more than double the standard HD resolution.

I'm pretty sure 3D doesn't work for me and my broken eyes. Hooray for the future!

Yeah, that's crapness on a stick. I guess there isn't much they can do about that.

I got the feeling especially Sony is pushing 3D as the new trend. I think this will be a costly failure for them.. What they (and the rest) should be pushing is OLED screens for the mainstream. Then they may pursue new 3D technologies as far as I'm concerned. Obviously, I love 3D, and it's the future, in the end we all want a holodeck. But for now, the technologies we have now are a gimmick. Fun for a while, fun for early-adopters and hardware enthousiasts, but not commercially viable for mainstream. For that they have to make the screens (lenticular I believe?) without the glasses cheap enough for mainstream.

I got the feeling especially Sony is pushing 3D as the new trend. I think this will be a costly failure for them.. What they (and the rest) should be pushing is OLED screens for the mainstream. Then they may pursue new 3D technologies as far as I'm concerned. Obviously, I love 3D, and it's the future, in the end we all want a holodeck. But for now, the technologies we have now are a gimmick. Fun for a while, fun for early-adopters and hardware enthousiasts, but not commercially viable for mainstream. For that they have to make the screens (lenticular I believe?) without the glasses cheap enough for mainstream.

Sony are the most advanced when it comes to OLED. They are the only company with a consumer OLED TV on the market. Bear in mind OLED is just a different type of TV tech. Much like PDP or LCD. It has lots of disadvantages right now. There is a huge difference between overhyped prototypes and actual consumer versions.

Its likely the 3d we get are the ones Sony and Panasonic are pushing for. Its pretty much a given that the Blu Ray Disk association will go for Sony's and Panasonic's choice. Which means we need special glasses but it will work at all angles.

Also if you think about it. Sony's motion gaming system(camera and controllers) would work well with this.

If anything I think Disney are pushing 3D the most.

I wouldn't be surprised if their recent acquisition of Marvel is part of their plan to instigate 3D as a standard in the cinema. (Hell, have you seen the Tron Legacy trailer? F*ck Avatar.)

Sony will push for a standard, and I'm not surprised since this standard would be vastly more lucrative than Blu-Ray, and the PS3 is a real dark horse for them. First Blu-Ray, next 3D. Really, though, it's going to need major backing from not just one industry, let alone one company.

If anything I think Disney are pushing 3D the most.

I wouldn't be surprised if their recent acquisition of Marvel is part of their plan to instigate 3D as a standard in the cinema. (Hell, have you seen the Tron Legacy trailer? F*ck Avatar.)

Sony will push for a standard, and I'm not surprised since this standard would be vastly more lucrative than Blu-Ray, and the PS3 is a real dark horse for them. First Blu-Ray, next 3D. Really, though, it's going to need major backing from not just one industry, let alone one company.

Whatever the BDA go for, the industry goes for. Given that Panasonic, Sony and Hollywood agree on the same 3D tech means they will move very very quickly.

In terms of being lucrative its probably just more about drumming up interest after a recession. Sony are a key founder of the Blu Ray Disk assosciation anyway so its doesnt make a difference there.

Yeah, I'm just pointing out that one company is not going to drive this. With Blu-Ray Sony pushed first and everything kind of caught up.

3D will be big in the cinema before it gets into the home. The movie industry will need to get behind it first and foremost, with help from the games industry probably.

Yeah, I'm just pointing out that one company is not going to drive this. With Blu-Ray Sony pushed first and everything kind of caught up.

3D will be big in the cinema before it gets into the home. The movie industry will need to get behind it first and foremost, with help from the games industry probably.

No with Blu Ray most of the industry pushed first. Toshiba and MS were the only other side exclusively on HD DVD. It was doomed to fail. I am glad idiots brought into HDDVD though. That was alot of fun.

3D is going to be rubbish in UK cinemas. Hardly any are 720p HD let alone use good projectors and 1080p. Vast vast majority of cinemas here are crappy SD with cropping. Even the best cinemas in the UK arent that great compared to what other countries get.

Blu Ray 3D will completely destroy cinemas here. Utterly destroy them. When Avatar comes out i dont know where to watch because they will probably use the crappy toy glasses that are used in theme parks and current 3D movies. Nothing like the tech Sony and Panasonic are going for.

No with Blu Ray most of the industry pushed first. Toshiba and MS were the only other side exclusively on HD DVD. It was doomed to fail. I am glad idiots brought into HDDVD though. That was alot of fun.

Don't be silly. The industry was completely undecided until Blu Ray "won". Without Sony's backing, and the BR association, it would have fallen flat. Even now sails aren't that stellar.

3D is going to be rubbish in UK cinemas. Hardly any are 720p HD let alone use good projectors and 1080p. Vast vast majority of cinemas here are crappy SD with cropping. Even the best cinemas in the UK arent that great compared to what other countries get.

Obviously you know nothing because cinemas have a vastly better resolution than 1080p. 1080p on a 50 ft high screen?! No chance. The IMAX resolution is 10,000×7000. 1080p?! Ha!! Blown out the water.

35 millimetre film alone can be produce 6000 lines.

Blu Ray 3D will completely destroy cinemas here. Utterly destroy them. When Avatar comes out i dont know where to watch because they will probably use the crappy toy glasses that are used in theme parks and current 3D movies. Nothing like the tech Sony and Panasonic are going for.

Again, you obviously know nothing. Cinemas will much more readily take up 3D projection systems than individual families.

Stop pretending you know anything.

Dont be so sure.

HDDVD was born dead. It was driven by irrationality. It was a financial bloodbath all the way through for the HDDVD side. Thats being kind when you look at the financials. Not only that Blu Ray adoption is comfortably outpacing DVD in the same timeframe with excellent margins for all companies.

As i said misinformation was order of the day(still is). I still laugh at the HDDVD and upscaling DVD player buyers.

Imax is awesome but Hollywood does not take advantage of Imax the way you are thinking. Also how many Imax screens are in the UK again? Let alone high spec ones ;)

The average UK Cinema will have 3D but much like HD it will be crappy.

Edited by Choze

IMAX is a file format, it stands for 'Image Maximum'. You can't a have high standard IMAX you idiot.

Yet again you prove you know nothing.