NEurope
Dan_Dare

Shadow Complex

It's fantastic.

by my book, Super Metroid is one of the best games ever. I'm absolutely loving this.

It's fantastic.

by my book, Super Metroid is one of the best games ever. I'm absolutely loving this.

*nods* I deem this to be true...

So by my understanding, this title takes mahoosive amounts of inspiration from Super Metroid / Castlevania and then puts its own modern twist / spin on it?

So far I've just gotten the

Speed Booster

It's a great game so far, the controlls are spot-on (well, aiming at the back of the screen can be a bit iffy at times). The 3D touches are really cool, though (like the turrets). The achievements sound pretty fun, too. I'll certainly be trying to get completionist and minimalist.

The only thing that's lacking is imagination. While the level design is brilliant, the characters and enemies are a bit dull. Although some of the guard's conversations are pretty good. There's also loads of nice graphical touches - the water is brilliantly done (especially in regerds to bullets from helecopters), the turrets is pretty cool (smashing tiles/bullet holes...it's simple, but in this it's a nice extra touch).

It's the closest thing to a new 2D Metroid we'll have in a while, it's lacking in character but it's still a damn good game.

Does it use the right control-stick at all? I want to use my Fightpad to play it with if possible when I download this.

Does it use the right control-stick at all? I want to use my Fightpad to play it with if possible when I download this.

Yeah. you have 360 degree aiming.

It's got a generous auto aim though. it's pretty smooth.

While the right stick is optional, it's still really useful (you can walk backwards and shoot with it).

Plus, doesn't the Fight Pad have have an 8-way D-Pad? If so, it isn't going to be good enough as Shadow Complex requires rather precise aiming at times.

Edit: It has auto aim??

While the right stick is optional, it's still really useful (you can walk backwards and shoot with it).

Plus, doesn't the Fight Pad have have an 8-way D-Pad? If so, it isn't going to be good enough as Shadow Complex requires rather precise aiming at times.

Edit: It has auto aim??

Ah ok so it's a mandatory two-stick game designed with the original pad in-mind, well that's ok I can live with it, was just curious if it controlled like Super Metroid as well. :)

Cube: the auto aim is just how he shoots at enemies really obviously in front of him- he tilts the gun rather than making you stick aim.

should mention: I absolutely love the melee take downs. So much fun how you can take whole groups down with barely so much as a broken stride if you get the element of surprise.

Cube: the auto aim is just how he shoots at enemies really obviously in front of him- he tilts the gun rather than making you stick aim.

should mention: I absolutely love the melee take downs. So much fun how you can take whole groups down with barely so much as a broken stride if you get the element of surprise.

Ah, that auto aim. The melee takedowns are also good, especially when you get the

Power Armour.

Edited by Cube

God damn it I'll never get to play this.

why not?

mm...it's awesome.

I agree with Dan Dare. It really is awesome.

I still don't have any new weapon enhancement except for the grenades. Looking forward to some new powerups. Just got the mask that let's you breathe underwater.

I think Shino means to say he won't ever have a 360 and therefore won't be able to play.

I got this too pretty much right after the demo finished. I enjoyed it a lot and have been since. It's very super metroid though I am finding that although I think i'm exploring I seem to end up going the way the game wants me too anyway. Hopefully i'll get to go back and explore everything before I finish it. Though the missile upgrade still eludes me :(

Completed it earlier today, only had about 50% upgrades though. It saves just before the final fight which is good so I'm now going back and picking up everything I missed.

It's a thoroughly enjoyable game. I thought the dialogue was cheesy at times, but overall it was an awesome game.

I only managed to pick up one of the extra powerups before the end fight so I can't wait to see what the other powerups give.

I'm not sure about the ending though. It was intense, getting rid of all of the tarantual things, the guards, the helicopters and that walky thing you have to rip the underside off was pretty fun whilst getting hammered by hails of bullets. I'm not really that sure about a big base/operation like this having spare missiles underground that any person can control and shoot at, but it was a good way to finish off the boss. Even if the boss itself didn't put up that much of a fight. A flying ship off in the distance only showering missiles when it gets hit itself, which is easily avoidable by popping in a wood cabin...

I can't wait to try it on the insane difficulty I guess.

Yeah loving this game so far... The map is huge !

Just got the missiles

Is the main dude's voice the same as Drakes off Uncharted ?

Sadface. Saw one pic and this did look awesome. I Love super metroid too so it really hurts that it's not on PSN. Is it made with that XNA thingie (sorry if this is an incredbily noob question, just trying to gauge if this will ever come to the PSN).

Edited by Deathjam
Spelt guage wrong :P

It isn't an XNA title, no, but I believe Microsoft have at least a 12 month exclusivity deal on it; the same was true of Braid and Castle Crashers.

It's a bit buggy — I can't say I appreciated drowning on dry land — but otherwise very enjoyable. I think the z-axis shooting is a bit of ill-advised design decision, at least outside of the designated turret sections, mainly because sometimes trying to aim at things simply doesn't work properly. Definitely worth the asking price, though.

It isn't an XNA title, no, but I believe Microsoft have at least a 12 month exclusivity deal on it; the same was true of Braid and Castle Crashers.

It's a bit buggy — I can't say I appreciated drowning on dry land — but otherwise very enjoyable. I think the z-axis shooting is a bit of ill-advised design decision, at least outside of the designated turret sections, mainly because sometimes trying to aim at things simply doesn't work properly. Definitely worth the asking price, though.

Ok that's cool. I think I can wait just as I did for those two.

This is a great game for a 2D metroid fan but its whole 3D attacks on a 2D playing field is flawed. The aiming is really annoying me, as Edg...Aimless said, it's not a great decision. You can see what they've tried to do, a unique approach to 2D shooters, but the aiming is just frustrating sometimes.

The times it's bugged me the most is when you have an enemy on the same 2D axis as you, and then another in the background. You want to aim at the one to your side because you don't have cover from them, but the gun keeps pointing into the distance. It's especialy noticable when you try to fling a grenade to the left or right only to have it go into the screen instead. A lovely idea but it needs like... a third analogue stick or something.

Sadface. Saw one pic and this did look awesome. I Love super metroid too so it really hurts that it's not on PSN. Is it made with that XNA thingie (sorry if this is an incredbily noob question, just trying to gauge if this will ever come to the PSN).

Unfortunately it seems it's published by Microsoft though...

Unfortunately it seems it's published by Microsoft though...

Craaaaaaap....:*(