Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The new classic controller (PRO) (56k no go)

marcel

Here are some impressions of the classic controller pro

ccpro08sm.JPG

Well it's finally out in Japan (with an awesome new color no less) and it's time to put it through the ropes! As the successor to the Classic Controller which allowed you to play every VC game including some Wii games, the Classic Controller Pro comes in and hopes to add a little more usability to the forefront of non-waggle gaming to the Wii.

Co-created by the MH3 Tri team, this Classic Controller Pro has been built to address some issues about the previous CC while making it user friendly to those who are jumping the PS2/PSP boat to take part in the awesomeness that is MH3 Tri.

ccpro02sm.JPG

ccpro03sm.JPG

ccpro13sm.JPG

Here is a PS3 Dualshock 3 and a 360 controller for comparison. The CC Pro is relatively the same size as both controllers but feels more akin to the 360 due to the curvature of the bottom and the grips. In fact, the grips make the CC Pro feel the best out of all 3, IMO, topping the 360s comfort. This is also due to the deepness of the curvature, allowing your fingers to grip more naturally than with the other controllers. It's also light as heck like its predecessor.

ccpro06sm.JPG

ccpro07sm.JPG

ccpro04sm.JPG

Now in comparison to the other two first party choices, again the CC Pro tops both the CC and the SNES pad in comfort. In regards to d-pad action, I still lean towards the SNES pad being the better out of the three yet the CC Pro is close. I'd liken the CC Pro's d-pad to the DSi's, but bigger.

The face buttons are of the same build as the CC, so if you liked those then you'll have no issues with these. But it's the triggers that have gone through an obvious change.

ccpro05sm.JPG

Coming from the wonky setup that was the CC, the CC Pro's triggers feel right at home. Not only that, they are all digital versus the L & R analogs in the previous edition. The Zr and Zl buttons are also set like other consoles' controllers, but are digital only. They're very clickly and are positioned just right. And as you can see, the cord is now located on the top versus the bottom.

The analog sticks are spread further apart on the CC Pro than the original as well, so no more unnecessary thumb collisions when you're getting crazy on DBZ:BT3 or whatever.

But not everything is kittens and cotton candy. If you have large hands, I can see it being an issue when gripping the controller. You're still tethered to the Wii-mote (would've been nice to see it as a totally separate controller), plus there are no analog triggers as well. And as pretty as the black ones may be, they're intense fingerprint magnets...

ccpro01sm.JPG

ran the controller for a couple hours today playing MH3 Tri, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, SFII, Assault Suits Valken, DBZ:BT3, Super Metroid and other random VC games. This is by far one of the most comfortable controllers for extended gaming, hands down. Include the fact that it is built for those who are migrating for others systems makes the CC Pro really versatile and easy to jump into.

So is it worth getting? If you play a lot of games that involve "standard" controls or are a VC nut, then HELL YES IMPORT THIS THING NOW!!! It'll make you want to throw your old CC away as it makes it rather obsolete. Is it the best "standard" controller ever? Kinda hard to say. If it was a standalone and had at least two analog triggers and maybe some rumble, then yes it really is the best. But I think it goes to show that this is what Nintendo should have been making for awhile now. We should also thank the dudes at Capgod for pointing them in the right direction.

So... if you're on the fence in getting one...

ccpro09sm.JPG

EDIT: Oh yeah, if you haven't figured it out, Kuro is shiny.

ccpro11sm.JPG

© donkey show @ neogaf

Its also the final nail in the coffin for ever being able to play GC games with the Classic Controller.
Because like... 5 GC games use the analog triggers; it's like saying a Sony controller without analog buttons is horrible because 5 games used it (about right, and the only important one was... MGS3?). it's perfectly fine for 99.9% of the GC games.

In fact I even have GC controllers from Horii that lack the analog triggers.

And... you can play GC games with it anyway:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-10y-49-en-70-3cep.html

The controller is fine, it's a classic controller with handles better joystick positioning and proper second triggers.

Point taken. But it still seems unlikely they would ever allow you to do this officially now that they're making the triggers digital. I might have to order one of those adapters though.
They'll never ever make it "official". even if it had analog triggers.

Because when the Wii boots in Gamecube mode it thinks it's a GC, the WiiOS is shut down and it boots with Gamecube firmware (which is most likely not updateable even if they wanted to) so basically.... a classic controller is wireless (it uses the blutooth module from a wiimote) and thus uses hardware that the GC doesn't know is there or has access to it, so it would be impossible for it to accept a classic controller without you plugging it into a GC plug.

that destiny has been set ever since the Wii has launched with that feature missing, I'm afraid.

Because like... 5 GC games use the analog triggers; it's like saying a Sony controller without analog buttons is horrible because 5 games used it (about right, and the only important one was... MGS3?). it's perfectly fine for 99.9% of the GC games.

In fact I even have GC controllers from Horii that lack the analog triggers.

The controller is fine, it's a classic controller with handles better joystick positioning and proper second triggers.

5 games? Are you stupid? It was used by nearly every racer (apart from like NFS: HP2 which was esentially a game from the stoneage), Star Wars:RS and a whole bunch of others.

I was really looking forward to this, but the fact that it's wired and lacks analogue buttons really sucks. Atless Nintendo repair these major flaws, I aint getting it.

Have you guys used the classic controller? It has analogue shoulder buttons. Or did they take them off Pro?

I was really looking forward to this, but the fact that it's wired and lacks analogue buttons really sucks. Atless Nintendo repair these major flaws, I aint getting it.

Wired to what?!