Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Sonic Adventure

Likely to be the first of many specific Dreamcast related posts as I work my way through my new collection. I decided to start off here.

Love the game, for me so far think its the best 3D Sonic game. I've played Adventure 2 which was alright, Heroes which was crap and Unleashed which I just found plain boring, not helped by the slowed down werehog scenes. Secret of the Rings on Wii wasn't actually too bad...

For me Sonic still looks like Sonic ala Megadrive, he is still quite short and squat rather than this lankier sonic we have ended up with. Love the music, think it feels far closer to the sonic games of old rather than the more modern games...

I love Sonic Adventure. The newer 3D Sonic games seem hell bent on adding in crap bits for the sake of variety, but Sonic Adventure got it right. The crap bits were limited to the other characters stories (I'm looking at you Big, tsk tsk), leaving Sonics story free to be awesome. The way that the characters stories all worked together was good too. I actually anjoyed all the characters stories Apart from Big, obviously. Although apparently his story can be played with the fishing controller. Might try that now that I actually have one.

I'd rate Sonic Adventure as one of my favourite DC games, along with the usual Shenmue, JSR and Skies of Arcadia. I'd probably rate it as my favourite Sonic game too.

Plus the intro is awesome.

Edited by Goafer

Love that intro...

'Can't holddddd onn much longerrrrrr, but I willll neverr let goooooo!'

I know the lyrics are cheesy etc but at the time... at the time... it was so awesome when used with that intro. :)

Ooh lots of Dreamcast discussions to come then? Count me in.

So I agree with goaferboy, Sonic Adventure is a marvel in Sonic and Sega gaming. First game along with Virtua Fighter 3tb that I saw running on Dreamcast hardware 10 (!) years ago thus heralding the next generation. Some people moan that the graphics are blocky and angular nowadays, but I think it just adds to the charm. Defo the best 3D Sonic game in my opinion and another jewel in the DCs sparkling crown.

Love that intro...

'Can't holddddd onn much longerrrrrr, but I willll neverr let goooooo!'

I know the lyrics are cheesy etc but at the time... at the time... it was so awesome when used with that intro. :)

I love that when Chaos opens it's mouth, they play that random bit of the full version of Open Your Heart. It's actually saying "gotta open your heart", but it just sounds like random gibberish when it should be a monster roar or something. Massive fail. At least there was radio static stuff before it, so it's not completely like Chaos' voice is shit.

Other than that, the intro is epic.

FROGGY!!!

Absolutely LOVE this game.

The Intro, the music, fantastic Sonic levels, the story was good enough, the hub overworld and the bit of exploration it added, the chao garden... all of it was great.

It was a winning formula, and yet somehow Sonic Team has managed to make each subsequent game progressively worse!... Go Sonic Team!!

the ONLY sonic 3d game you can say is good.. adventure 2 is big.. there's a lot in there but 2/3 of the gameplay is awful..

heroes shit

shadow shit

didn't play the rest..

this was a good game though it dated.. It wasn't sonics answer to mario 64.. shame really because it was his first game main game in like 6 or 7 years..

Aaaahhh, watching that video made me cry for 2001.

I really want to play the game again now, but my disc is scratched to fuck. I don't think it works anymore.

...Just checked it. Nah, don't work. Bollocks! :(

I might be able to help you out there....I got 2 copies of Sonic Adventure with my DC....so got one spare it however unboxed but still has the instruction manual...Next to no resell value without the box so its yours if you want it...

Hmmm, I have only ever owned one 3D sonic and that was Sonic 3D. I only have fond memories of it, well frustration too, but by todays standards its probably outdated.

Still a good game though surely? Anyone played it recently?

The main problem with it being that the general speed of Sonic and the 'loop-da-loops' didn't translate well into the next dimension. Plus the flickies or whatever the bird things were called always disappeared and ran off when you got hit which was enormously irritating.

Hmmm, I have only ever owned one 3D sonic and that was Sonic 3D. I only have fond memories of it, well frustration too, but by todays standards its probably outdated.

Still a good game though surely? Anyone played it recently?

The main problem with it being that the general speed of Sonic and the 'loop-da-loops' didn't translate well into the next dimension. Plus the flickies or whatever the bird things were called always disappeared and ran off when you got hit which was enormously irritating.

Well see sonic 3d wasnt really 3d and isn't classified as being one... I think the first ever sonic 3d game is sonic r... or sonic jam technicallly... but sonic R was from beginning to end rape..

Sonic 3d was made by travellers tales and features one of the ugliest intros ive ever seen in my life(at least if you played it on the megadrive)

Thats why it wasn't as good as other sonic games..

nowadays though your far more likely to get a game from TT that sonic team. though

Well it is 3D because it's not just an isometric platformer. As far as I remember it was a challenging platform game if nothing else, and I certainly enjoyed it.

I only say it's not 3d because it's 2d given the look of 3d :)

gameplay is certainly 3dish I guess.. the saturn version is better mind you.

I don't see your point though. You control Sonic in a virtual 3D space. Its not like NSMB where it is on a 2D plane but the objects appear 3D.

You assume that all games are 2D?

ok... is mario kart a 3d game or a 2d game with mode 7?

graphically it's not a 3d game...starfox is a 3d game

ok... is mario kart a 3d game or a 2d game with mode 7?

graphically it's not a 3d game...starfox is a 3d game

With Mario Kart, it depends which version you are talking about.

As for Sonic 3D, its a 3D game as Sonic is fully 3D, same goes for Tails and Knuckles and all the characters used in this game. Its just the flooring that looks 2D/3D to me.

Well I got the Gamecube version since I went Gamecube and PS2 that generation, Well I think that was the generation the Dreamcast released in.

Apart from Sonic 2 I haven't played a Sonic game more times than Adventure. It was just that fun of an experience for me. I mean apparently the Gamecube version didn't change to much about the Dreamcast version.