NEurope

Well Liverpool have announced that theyve signed Rodriguez, apparently on a free transfer which if true is great.

I hope they've signed A. Miracle, because they need one to save this season.

I hope they've signed A. Miracle, because they need one to save this season.

Unsaveable, imo. What is saveable? Them finishing fourth? It's been a remarkably bad season for them. Even if they finish fourth and qualify for the Champions League (they'll still have to qualify for it next season if they finish fourth), that is still not good enough for a team who finished second last season and played absolutely out of their skin. How can a team go from nearly winning the league to struggling to make the top four?

The only positive at all to take from their recent results is that they'll have less games to play now. But, if you look at their rivals for fourth place, none of those are playing Champions League football, and none of them have European football. Man City and Villa have two further games to play in the Carling Cup Semi (the first and then the second leg) and then maybe the final if they progress. And, including Tottenham in that, they've got FA Cup football to think about, too.

If I were a Liverpool fan, I'd be praying that the squads of City, Villa and Spurs fall under the strain of these matches. Or they go through a bad run of form, or something. Who knows what will happen.

As for United, well, I'm just surprised we're second this season. We're really missing that Portuguese bloke. I don't think we've played as exciting football as when he was here, and it's clear that a few of the players are looking short of ideas. He really was an important figure at United.

Come back, Carlos Queiroz.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Q) Why was Benitez caught stealing from Liverpool fc's canteen?

A) It's the only place he will get a cup this season!

shit joke but I couldn't resist :D

Q) Why was Benitez caught stealing from Liverpool fc's canteen?

A) It's the only place he will get a cup this season!

shit joke but I couldn't resist :D

:cry:

What a season to be a Liverpool supporter. Torres is now out for six weeks and Gerrard and Benayoun for a couple of weeks too. Even with Gerrard and Torres on the pitch this season there has been a real lack of a will to win throughout the team. Did they think it would be easy to carry last seasons form into this one or what?

I think that we (Liverpool) replaced the wrong player. Alonso left and he was fantastic, however, most fans realised that if Torres was fit last season we would have won the league. So we spent 20 mil on a crocked midfielder instead of finding suitable backup for our ... injury prone? Striker.

Never mind, have some faith. Rafa has done well with what he has.... ... ....

Never mind, have some faith. Rafa has done well with what he has.... ... ....

I really don't think thats the case, his cup winning teams were largely inherited from Houllier. The players he has bought in have typically been ineffective and over priced.

I really don't think thats the case, his cup winning teams were largely inherited from Houllier. The players he has bought in have typically been ineffective and over priced.

Was it Fresh before who was talking about Rafa's signings? There's been so many players who have been in and straight back out at Liverpool. Here's what I found just through a quick google search:

Fernando Torres

Robbie Keane

Ryan Babel - he's right on the border between regular and frequent

Xabi Alonso

Dirk Kuyt

Albert Riera

Andrea Dossena

Peter Crouch

Lucas Leiva

Jermaine Pennant

Martin Skrtel

Craig Bellamy

Luis Garcia

Jose Reina

Dan Agger

Mohammed Sissoko

Fernando Morientes

Yossi Benayoun

Diego Cavalieri

Alvaro Arbeloa

Sebastian Leto

Jose Miguel Gonzalez

Gabriel Paletta

Mark Gonzalez

David Ngog - right on the border between regular, he's made quite a few appearances as sub

Scott Carson

Mikel San Jose

David Martin

Antonio Barragan

Besian Idrizaj

Jack Hobbs

Alex Cooper

Alexander Kacaniklic

Krisztian Nemeth

Andras Simon

Victor Palsson

Gary Mackay Steven

Vitor Flora

Andriy Voronin

Nikolay Mihaylov

Emmanuel Mendy

Marvin Pourie

Dani Pacheco

Nikola Saric

Lauri Dalla Valle

Gerardo Bruna

Hakan Duyan

Damien Plessis

Peter Gulacsi

Charles Itandje

Philipp Degen

Vincent Lucas

Ryan Crowther

Mihail Alexandrov

Robbie Fowler

Ryan Wilkie

Javier Mascherano

Miki Roque

Nabir El Zhar

Mark Smyth

Jay Smith

Stephen Darby

Craig Lindfield

Adam Hammill

Danny Guthrie

Paul Anderson

Lee Peltier

Fabio Aurelio

Jan Kromkamp

Boudewijn Zenden

Mauricio Pellegrino

Godwin Antwi

Robbie Threlfall

Ryan Flynn

Calum Woods

Paul Willis

Danny O'Donnell

Ramon Calliste

Steve Irwin

Martin Kelly

Ronald Huth

Jordy Brouwer

Francisco Manuel Duran

Emiliano Insua

Ray Putterill

Martin Hansen

Jay Spearing

Dave Roberts

David Mannix

Antonio Nunez

Going back through that list, I've bolded the ones (that I know of) who are first team regulars. I've highlighted 13 players there. These are players that the manager has brought in and moulded into his team. In Torres, Kuyt, N'Gog and Babel, you have four strikers. During the time Rafa has been there, you have seen strikers such as Craig Bellamy, Fernando Morientes, Peter Crouch and Robbie Keane. These are not just anybody, these are players with experience. I still find the Robbie Keane situation completely baffling. How many times did he actually play as a striker and not as a winger? Why is Babel being played as a winger when he isn't one? The same question about Dirk Kuyt.

This whole thing about Rafa doing well with what he has is...just something I do not agree with. Look at a manager like Dave Moyes. He has done well with what he has. I just do not think Rafa has the potential to get the best out of his players in the same way that other managers can.

I feel so dirty writing/typing such a long post about Liverpool. Need a shower and a cuppa tea I think.

Edit: I just realised that this list doesn't even include Glen Johnson and Alberto Aquilani. So, that's even more he's brought in.

That Kuyt kid is funny. Work ethic counts for shit if you don't have goals to go with it, he needs to be replaced someone that can kick a ball in a goal.

To be fair last season he actually scored his fair share of goals, hes suffering this season just like the rest of the squad. Still, I would prefer a proper winger on the right.

Didn't he score something like 15 goals last season? That's pretty good considering where he was playing (on the wing).

I remember speaking to one Liverpool fan last season, and I asked him what he thought of Kuyt. He said "as a hard-working player, he's 7 or 8/10. As a Liverpool striker, he's about 3."

I think the formation that Rafa chooses to play doesn't help him, though. Its usually a 4-2-3-1 with Torres at the top, Kuyt and Yossi on either side of that midfield with Gerrard through the midfield. Just say if Liverpool did buy another striker, like David Villa, where would he play?! I can't remember the last time Liverpool played a straight 4-4-2.

He's just not that good. He's like Rez; he tries his hardest but in the end fails most of the time. (I actually like Rez, just couldn't think of a better analogy, or an unused Rez-hate comment)

He isn't that fast, has limited finishing ability and does awkward interviews. That last point matters too.

He's just not that good. He's like Rez; he tries his hardest but in the end fails most of the time. (I actually like Rez, just couldn't think of a better analogy, or an unused Rez-hate comment)

He isn't that fast, has limited finishing ability and does awkward interviews. That last point matters too.

You're judging a footballer on their ability to do interviews?...

I actually rate Kuyt but then again but I warm to players who actually want to be at a club and put the graft in. Anyone on the pitch can finish an opportunity, but not everyone is willing to run themselves into the ground for 90 minutes every weekend. Dedication to the cause is far better than finesse.

You're an even bigger idiot than I gave you credit for.

Whilst interwebz sarcasm is hard to detect, I thought in this context it was bloody obvious.

You're judging a footballer on their ability to do interviews?...

I actually rate Kuyt but then again but I warm to players who actually want to be at a club and put the graft in. Anyone on the pitch can finish an opportunity, but not everyone is willing to run themselves into the ground for 90 minutes every weekend. Dedication to the cause is far better than finesse.

I think this is why a lot of United fans are particularly warm to Park Ji Sung. He's not the most naturally gifted or most technical footballer. But, he always puts in the effort, and he's willing to put himself on the line for the sake of the team. For some reason, he always seems to do well in big games too and he is usually in the right place at the right time.

By comparison, Nani tries to be too flashy. Yeah, he's got talent, but I don't think he's quite got the heart that Park has. He doesn't do half the tracking back or defensive work that Park does, and he doesn't do the simple things right like Park does.

Yes it was me before Flink who before wrote about Rafa's signings. I think I got shot down for it that time, I might be tempted to do a "I told you so" however I think we are all too grown up for that. Naturally I therefore agree with what you have wrote Flink, Rafa's signing have been hot and cold and I think that would be the best way to describe them. It would be interesting to see how much he has spent on these players, where they are now and how many had a decent run in the first team.

Oh the topic of United it would seem that United fans are becoming increasingly unhappy with Park. His performances are not what they used to be. Relating to Nani even I, a strong supporter of him, thinks it is becoming time for him to leave. I still think he should have one more decent chance before we ship him off but if we can get some sort of swap deal for him for Di Maria I would take it. Nani seems like a player who would enjoy a full career in the Portuguese Superliga, A big fish in a small pond would suit him.

The situation seems to be though that United are liked with half the population however also have no money. It's a very confusing time to be a United fan.

Yes it was me before Flink who before wrote about Rafa's signings. I think I got shot down for it that time, I might be tempted to do a "I told you so" however I think we are all too grown up for that. Naturally I therefore agree with what you have wrote Flink, Rafa's signing have been hot and cold and I think that would be the best way to describe them. It would be interesting to see how much he has spent on these players, where they are now and how many had a decent run in the first team.

In fairness, not all the players he has bought are bad buys. Pepe Reina for example is a great goalkeeper, and I think that's what the main discussion was about when you brought it up.

Oh the topic of United it would seem that United fans are becoming increasingly unhappy with Park. His performances are not what they used to be. Relating to Nani even I, a strong supporter of him, thinks it is becoming time for him to leave. I still think he should have one more decent chance before we ship him off but if we can get some sort of swap deal for him for Di Maria I would take it. Nani seems like a player who would enjoy a full career in the Portuguese Superliga, A big fish in a small pond would suit him.

Park's had a problem with his knees though, the swelling that he gets when he returns from International Duty. He hasn't been the same Park that we all know and love, but even then you can see that he's trying. It's a shame, but I think his injury problem is becoming very serious now.

Nani is such a strange one. The fans want to see him do well, and he impressed me in his first season. I think part of the problem is that he doesn't have a left foot, and he always needs to cut inside when he plays on the left, which makes him look very predictable. But, he's been there for a while now and this is something he should have worked on. He hasn't progressed at all since being here, which is a bit annoying. I want to see him do well, but I don't think he's helped himself.

The situation seems to be though that United are liked with half the population however also have no money. It's a very confusing time to be a United fan.

There's some serious money issues at the moment. We posted something like a £42 million profit, but £80million of that came from the Ronaldo sale. If we hadn't sold him, we'd have made a hefty loss. Considering that the only possible game we could have played but didn't play last season was the FA Cup Final, that isn't very good news. The Glazers have fucked us right up the arse, and part of me thinks that we're now beginning to feel the burden that they have heaped on the club.:hmm:

Its thread Hi-jack time again guys..... i'm sorry.

The Xpert11 season has come to a close once again, so i'm here to ask if anyone of you football lovers wants to take part in the next season..?

It's due to start up again the week after next i think.. It's great fun, doesn't take any time to get into and theres usually some decent banter in the X11 thread.

Finally.. just one last thing to remember... All The Cool Kids Do It ;)

Anybody know if its possible to cancel a bid on ebay?

I was looking for a mickey mouse outfit and I'm now 6minutes away from buying Liverpool!

*tumbleweed*

I never knew how many players Rafa had actually signed, apparently he's spent something like £288 million in his time and signed 19 different full backs