Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Metroid: Other M

Retro_Link

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was stumped at that part too red shell - too me a while to figure It out but I got there in the end. And the part that followed happened to me too :)
I was also stuck on that part. It was at half 1 in the morning and I really wanted to go to bed but I refused to knock the game off until I had done that section and got to the next save point. :D
Glad it wasn't just me then. :smile:

Finished the game not too long ago with 95% completion rating. Not too sure about my time as it never flashed up.
Have you checked it on the Nintendo Channel?

One bit where I'm stuck, in the Icey place...

Where you pass a nest of the ice version of the reused to death bugs and at the end needs a super missile to break the ice

Never minds. Foundz

I think the new "method" of getting new items by having Adam say you can use them is both inventive but fucking annoying. I was having my ass burnt for ages in the Pyrosphere until Adam "Authorised" me to use the Varia suit.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

K after about 3 hours play last night, still unsure what to think at the moment.

Opening cinematic was awesome getting to see the end of Super Metroid all fmv'd up.

I like the cut scenes, feels like a Metroid movie (if ever someone gets the rights to make a movie I hope it's CG), Samus' voice was odd at first but I've started to think it suits her for someone who is meant to be a loner, with little emotion and not doing well with dealing with people.

The whole "can't use weapons till Adam says so" thing, kind of annoying. I prefer finding new upgrades, not knowing I have them but not allowed to use them. Plus I keep seeing walls that say a Power Bomb is needed to destroy them... so I do wonder if at one point Samus will give Adam the finger and do what she wants (dont spoiler anything for me please)

COntrols are ok. The d-pad in the 3D enviroment works well, but I would have prefered anologue for more percision. The dodging works well though and if done right combined with charged shots and lethal strikes looks awesome. The auto aiming I dont mind, as it would have been difficult otherwise. The First Person bits are nice, switching to it is not a problem, dont know how anyone could complain about that. Though I do miss the proper scanning from Prime. Everytime I go into FP mode I keep expecting to scan stuff, especially enimies, to get more info. THere seems to be so much that would have a possible scan if it were a Prime game, that for a game based around telling a story I feel like I'm missing something.

The liner style, again I'm not fully certain about, at the moment I feel like there's a lack of exploration, which even in Fusion you still got a fair bit of. But I am seeing items and things that I can't yet reach/get but I can imagine which power ups will be needed to get them so maybe later I'll feel better about that.

The opening movies were a bit long also, when meeting up with the Feds I was thinking, jesus hurry up so I can play the game (kind of like Metal Gear Solid), but after the briefing bit it was constant gameplay so it was alright then.

I'm up to the part at the Exam Room now.

Also I too agree James looks too much like David Beackham, so much so I dont think it was a coincidence... would love to interview the character desinger and see what they say.

EDIT:

Oh yeah forgot to mention, the store I perordered from (Gamestop) gave free t-shirts with preorders, it's alright, must take a picture later. Only thing I don't like is it says "Out Now" on the front.... I wonder if the were actually meant to be for the store staff to wear as a promotion for the the release of the game?

I feel what you're saying Mok, I've still on the fence. The D-pad in 3D is alot more fluid because the camera does all the work in most situations. Try Planet 51 for some proper 3D navigating with D-pad fun.

Samus' voice was odd at first but I've started to think it suits her for someone who is meant to be a loner, with little emotion and not doing well with dealing with people.

For a loner she does talk a bit. Plus she has a very eloquent lexicon.

Although there seems to be some dispute regarding the actress, I almost think they're still using Jennifer Hale. Wiki says it might be Jessica Martin from an "unreliable source". Either way, whenever I hear her I think of Alexandra Roivas from Eternal Darkness [which Hale did as well as Samus in the Primes]

The First Person bits are nice, switching to it is not a problem, dont know how anyone could complain about that.

Depends how you're sitting. Sometimes I like to lie down and could have the controller anywhere. But this practically forces you to SIT UP STRAIGHT AND FACE DEAD CENTRE FORWARD NOW.

But with the Wii we've gotten used to it over the years.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

My copy finally arrived...

I'm no longer gonna use Play.com for high-profile releases, ShopTo next time I think! anyway, finally time to play the game! :D

---------------------------

First impressions after only an hour and a half of playing?

What the fuck have they done to my Metroid? :( I'm probably judging it too harshly having barely played the game but... it's just so grating in places but at the same time compelling to play because I cautiously want to know more.

The third/first person system works well but some of the script is terrible... combat feels mostly fluid but certain encounters are annoying, the returning enemies are great but some of the newly designed creatures look rubbish in comparison to the level of detail that was afforded by the Prime series.

I understand that risks needed to be taken but atm this game feels like a step forward in some ways but a sideways step and even a step backwards in other places...

I'm so conflicted right now... I'm enjoying it but I'm just not quite 'feeling' it yet... :/ I will carry on with it though as I'm sure it gets better...

...please tell me it gets better.

OK there's one thing that is pissing me off at the moment, the "forced first person" moment when you are stuck in FP mode till you scan something in particular. Sometimes it's not always obvious what you're meant to be looking for. Or sometimes you have an iea what you are meant to be scanning but you have to scan an exact part like...

The robotic space pirate, I knew I was meant to scan him but nothing happen, you had to scan a certain, small part of him to move on.

Then later

After the fight and you find Lyle dead... what the hell I was stuck looking at the back of teh Feds for AGES, looking around couldn't see anything. In the end I got so pissed off I googled as I was worried the game might be bugged or something. Turns out there's green blood on the ground... but it almost blends with the grass you couldn't see it unless you know it was there

OK there's one thing that is pissing me off at the moment, the "forced first person" moment when you are stuck in FP mode till you scan something in particular. Sometimes it's not always obvious what you're meant to be looking for. Or sometimes you have an iea what you are meant to be scanning but you have to scan an exact part like...

The robotic space pirate, I knew I was meant to scan him but nothing happen, you had to scan a certain, small part of him to move on.

Then later

After the fight and you find Lyle dead... what the hell I was stuck looking at the back of teh Feds for AGES, looking around couldn't see anything. In the end I got so pissed off I googled as I was worried the game might be bugged or something. Turns out there's green blood on the ground... but it almost blends with the grass you couldn't see it unless you know it was there

Eugh yeah this is annoying. It doesn't help the game is so dark either (has anyone else found this?). I've had to turn the brightness up on my tv just to play it!

My time shows as 12:01:29 with 95%. There were some items I gave up on trying to get as although I could see them, I couldn't figure out how to actually get to them.
Good stuff, I'm expecting my time will be a bit longer. Well, if I get many more don't know where to go moments that is. :grin:

I got to that bit last night...

...It actually made me jump a little when that robot fell out of the room! :laughing: The eerie music and me having my headphones on way too loud didn't help. Still, I really wasn't expecting a moment like that in the game. :heh:

Don't mind those scanning events though. I think the parts where you're forced to walk are probably more annoying, but then again that kind of adds to the exploration atmosphere. :hmm:

Something that' I've been very impressed with though is the games automatic camera system, not only is it incredibly functional, but some of the angles it comes up with are just amazing! :awesome: I also love the way it pans while running through certain areas, the fact you're always in control during such dynamic camera moves is seriously cool, and gives a really cinematic feel to the gameplay. icon14.gif

I understand that risks needed to be taken but atm this game feels like a step forward in some ways but a sideways step and even a step backwards in other places...

What irks me about Nintendo at the moment is that they're happy to take backwards steps in their games. To me, it would be more logical if they kept pure 2D gameplay to the handhelds and pure 3D gameplay to the consoles. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Of course Metroid needed to move on from Metroid Prime 3, but that will take a new console anyway. Prime 3 was a good game - the obvious way to evolve it would be the ability to switch to 3rd-person perspective at any time... but it should still be kept a pure 3D game, with analogue control.

I decided not to wait for a review copy, so bought it yesterday, and I've just received authorisation for the speed booster. I'm in the 'it's good, but not great' camp, I think - the controls are fine (though nunchuck would still have worked better); I don't really mind the cutscenes; and combat is fun, if a little repetitive. I just don't really like the fact that, even though there's lots of exploring into the unknown, you're on much more of a set path forward than in any other of the Metroid games. I miss the backtracking to find new paths branching off from previous areas, and I think that's what this game is missing the most. More than any other Metroid, I feel like I'm running from pont A to B in a level from a videogame, full of straight corridors and invisible walls, rather than an immersive, living world.

Help possible glitch - sector 1

I have just defeated the purple creature after the exam centre. Kyke has died and the others are standing around him. I suspect I need to scan lyle but it just won't allow me to at all.

Turn around away from the group. There's a puddle of green blood on the ground. Scan that.

Help possible glitch - sector 1

I have just defeated the purple creature after the exam centre. Kyke has died and the others are standing around him. I suspect I need to scan lyle but it just won't allow me to at all.

It's not a glitch, it's just not obvious what you're supposed to be looking for.

In the box is a hint, it doesn't tell you what to be looking for, just roughly where you should be looking.

Near the buggy

I want to know it's favourite carpet style.

And beat it!

manage to avoid it a bit. Fire a few charged shots at it whilst it tries to fire at me. The top freezes but I don't have time to get a missile in.

The fucker is strong.

Probably not much help

As far as I'm aware, you cannot beat the thing, you just have to survive it - now the question is whether you have to do X amount of damage first or just reach a time limit and that I'm not too sure off.

So I would just focus on trying to avoid it whilst getting your shots in. I wouldn't bother with missiles personally as you'll just leave yourself too open to being hit.

Eventually the lift reaches the other end and but the door doesn't open until the thing goes away but at least you have more space to fight in. And if you get it down one end, you can run to the other and use concentration if things are getting tight.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!