NEurope
Retro_Link

Metroid: Other M

This looks really cool. I like how physical and violently Samus fights in some scenes.

While it's great to see the return of the grapple beam, speed dash etc and some nicely detailed environments such as the fire and ice sections, wtf is up with - what is presumably - Ridley?

Yeah, he's chubby with a mop of hair! It's odd to change him, as he was always consistent throughout all the 2D and 3D games.

Awesome trailer though. I wasn't going to buy this on release, but now I'm tempted.

I don't think its Ridley - a red herring perhaps.

But then again, IIRC Ridley is a genetically created creature - perhaps as part of a Metroid/Ridley DNA fuse, Ridley is attracted to a particular form of energy found in doughnuts and toupees?

Ridley didn't even cross my mind during that trailer. Looked more like a mutated Chocobo.

And then the trailer ends... it just feels awkward. :/

It implies the visor is some sort of eye beam weapon. Bullsheet.

Actually, come to think of it, maybe it's Kraid. He does look a bit more like a spinosaurus than Ridley. I know Retro Studios were thinking of putting him into the Prime games, but never managed to fit him in.

I don't think It has fuck all to do with Ridley, it's not even remotely similar to me, it's just a random alien.

Could be wrong but it is strange looking.

Edited by James McGeachie

The only things I really don't like about this game so far are that some sections are likely to feel 'forced' due to the different but slightly 'dumbed down' control scheme - due to lack of the nunchuk - and the fact that many of the new enemy designs - presumably made by Team Ninja - look rather uninspiring and crap compared to past Metroid games.

nv8qv5.jpg

The advert on Gametrailers is taking a scene from the Metroid manga.

Edited by Dante

I think we're now safe to say that the monster in the other trailer was in fact not Ridley sporting a uni hair do.

The only things I really don't like about this game so far are that some sections are likely to feel 'forced' due to the different but slightly 'dumbed down' control scheme - due to lack of the nunchuk...

Very likely. I'm going to predict it'll be a good game, but will make people wish it was a pure 2D Metroid or a pure 3rd-person, 3D Metroid (controlled with an analogue stick). I can't see it working perfectly, considering it's such an amalgamation.

I think we're now safe to say that the monster in the other trailer was in fact not Ridley sporting a uni hair do.

I reckon Falco Lombardi and Dante are right - it's a baby Ridley. There are too many similarities.

ONM information :

Basically said the game plays great ("the gaming equivilant of a Micheal Bay movie, a white knuckle thrillride that grabs you by the throat and doesn't let go!").

They expressed some concern over the new Concentration move, as it can be hard to pull off during some boss fights, leading to frequent deaths.

The over the shoulder sections are clunky, and slow the pace of the game.

The music is a bit lacking, favouring tense silence.

They love the bottle ship setting, calling it "one of the tightest, most memorable settings in a metroid game"

The game is roughly 15 hours "if your in a hurry", or double that if you collect everything.

the gaming equivilant of a Micheal Bay movie, a white knuckle thrillride that grabs you by the throat and doesn't let go!

Wow. I didn't think that anyone other than darksnowman could say something so negative about Metroid.

Dante, please please please please try and put all your post from now on in spoilers, since you are going to obviously just keep posting more and more spoilers for the game.

According to the person that saw the advert says it starts with Samus walking down a street and seeing significant points of her life. it contains young Samus being attacked by ridley (like in the pic). Samus thumbing down adam malcovich (similer to the cgi trailer but using live actors) and eventually went into some gameplay

Nintendo's Samus Aran Retrospective

Dante, please please please please try and put all your post from now on in spoilers, since you are going to obviously just keep posting more and more spoilers for the game.

I didn't think there was anything spoilerish in Dantes posts - and the detail in his posts are always in a quote block - just don't read any of Dantes' quote blocks.

Wow. I didn't think that anyone other than darksnowman could say something so negative about Metroid.

Haha, its a bad sign when the official mag is being more negative than me. I'm gonna have to up my game... but its gonna be difficult as I'm not getting M: OM. :grin:

Haha, its a bad sign when the official mag is being more negative than me. I'm gonna have to up my game... but its gonna be difficult as I'm not getting M: OM. :grin:

Im getting it and will play through it. I will then no doubt slag it off. :D

Saying that Prime 3 didn't hold my attention long enough for me to finish it, so whether I get through this one all the way through is another story.

I'm getting it and will play through it. I will then no doubt wish I could make sweet passionate love to it... because it's Metroid and Metroid trumps all but Zelda!

I'm getting it and will play through it. I will then no doubt wish I could make sweet passionate love to it... because it's Metroid and Metroid trumps all but Zelda!

The disc has a hole....