N-Europe

Metroid: Other M

Retro_Link

It's a great game to play on any level, yes there are faults, but the end product by far outweighs the sum of its parts. For £9.98 there's no excuse now not to pick it up and for those complaining about the story and content, at least it has one(Mario) and I don't remember ye owning the series, nor owning the character. Would you dictate to an author how their novel should be written?

I will say this though, I'd like to see Retro studios take on the series, following Team Ninjas template and expanding upon it.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for those complaining about the story and content, at least it has one(Mario) and I don't remember ye owning the series, nor owning the character. Would you dictate to an author how their novel should be written?

It's not really about what happens or how it happens. It's that it does happen. Metroid has always been about subtlety. So metroid actually fleshing out a story in an objective way, is kind of like if link spoke in a zelda game.

Not that I'm complaining, I personally have no problem with it.

For anyone that hasn't yet played the game on Hard Mode, go for it! I found it even better on Hard! I just loved the increase in challenge!

Am I right in thinking you have to go through the whole game with 99 health and the bare minimum missiles and recharge speed? :o

It's a great game to play on any level, yes there are faults, but the end product by far outweighs the sum of its parts. For £9.98 there's no excuse now not to pick it up and for those complaining about the story and content, at least it has one(Mario) and I don't remember ye owning the series, nor owning the character. Would you dictate to an author how their novel should be written?

That's one of the brilliant thing about Mario! The way he turns up and smashes Bowser in an understated way.

Definitely worth £10 though (I paid £25, which was fine too). It's in my Top 3 Wii games.

It's not really about what happens or how it happens. It's that it does happen. Metroid has always been about subtlety. So metroid actually fleshing out a story in an objective way, is kind of like if link spoke in a zelda game.

Not that I'm complaining, I personally have no problem with it.

Exactly how I feel. None of it bothered me, but I feel the critics were technically correct.

Am I right in thinking you have to go through the whole game with 99 health and the bare minimum missiles and recharge speed? :o

Yep! Some bosses do one hit kills too so it really can get challenging... but it is great, I preferred the game on hard.

Right, so I've done the Epilogue:

Really enjoyed that. I knew Phantoon was in the game, and the boss was pretty great. My only gripe is that the battle (despite being in a vacuum) contained sound, which kinda lessened the experience, but it was still great.

The best bit though had to be the bit where you get the helmet. The soft music that plays is brilliant. Really struck a chord with me. :)

I really enjoyed the escape sequence, although these type of moments make me tense in games.

Overall, I love the game. I love what they've achieved with the look, the feel, the controls, the enemies. Despite only using a limited set of buttons, I believe that they've coped really well with incorperating all these different aspects and weapons, like the speedbooster, the shinespark, super missiles, power bomb, etc. Even the screw attack was done quite well. They're all easy to pull off, simple but also very satisfying.

I don't see any issues with the controls at all. My only slight gripe would be that it would have been amazing if you were able to switch between beams rather than have them stacked, although that didn't bother me too much. It would have been nice, because the wave beam is a tiny bit under-used in this game.

My other nitpick is that I would have liked to have used missiles outside of the first person mode. But, again, its something I can live without.

Lethal Strikes are fucking awesome.

I will be playing this a second time, although I have other games to finish. Need to start Epic Mickey.

My other nitpick is that I would have liked to have used missiles outside of the first person mode. But, again, its something I can live without.

Yes indeed. I think, in the next Metroid, the beams and missiles should be set to the same button in both 1st- and 3rd-person (I'm hoping for A, B, X, Y, L + R to return...) Firing missiles in 3rd-person would make it perfect.

Yes indeed. I think, in the next Metroid, the beams and missiles should be set to the same button in both 1st- and 3rd-person (I'm hoping for A, B, X, Y, L + R to return...) Firing missiles in 3rd-person would make it perfect.

Maybe even use the B button on the back of the wiimote, or maybe that can be used to toggle between missiles and beams? Or something.

One thing that I'm quite a fan of is the introduction of the concentration technique, and the sense move. Concentration added another dynamic to battles, particularly against tougher enemies. It wasnt simply a case of destroying enemies or rocks or something to get health. It was quite exciting using concentration and praying that you didn't get hit, tense as hell.

One thing that I'm quite a fan of is the introduction of the concentration technique, and the sense move. Concentration added another dynamic to battles, particularly against tougher enemies. It wasnt simply a case of destroying enemies or rocks or something to get health. It was quite exciting using concentration and praying that you didn't get hit, tense as hell.

I liked that too. I thought I'd miss collectables, but I didn't. It's not even that far-fetched.

I liked that too. I thought I'd miss collectables, but I didn't. It's not even that far-fetched.

Well, I think it worked well in conjunction with collectables. Because, you could get things like the Accel Charge and also that upgrade to help you recover more energy when you concentrated.

Also, I ended up collecting as many missile upgrades as I could because they were reaaaally useful, particularly in the heat of battle where you needed super missiles or where you weren't sure if you could use concentration.

Getting energy things were valuable, too. I probably could have done with a few more in the game. I used to give a FUCK YEAH everytime I found one. Or even the energy parts.

• 4 weeks later...
Just completed this. Really enjoyed it and all, but I get the feeling it ended prematurely, like there was more intended, but they just cut it short.

._.

By "finished", do you mean you came back to the station to fetch a certain something after MB was killed?

Because if you didn't, it IS cut off. That last bit after the "first" ending may be a bit on the fan-service heavy side, but it rounds the game out well. I'd say it belongs far to much into the story, as to call it a bonus.

By "finished", do you mean you came back to the station to fetch a certain something after MB was killed?

Because if you didn't, it IS cut off. That last bit after the "first" ending may be a bit on the fan-service heavy side, but it rounds the game out well. I'd say it belongs far to much into the story, as to call it a bonus.

Yeah, went and done that last night. By the 'cut off', I mean like the story was going, and was just cut by a knife and stopped. It felt to me that much more could've been done with the 'Deleter', since in the end, he didn't exactly serve a big role/was un-needed but was there regardless, and more regarding MB. Was such a stupid way she died for being that powerful. Not to mention the end boss, didn't think it was hard at all, Ridley should've kicked it's ass.

I mean if MB went all crazy on our asses, all hell breaking lose which would be awesome to extend it some more. Instead it's

it's bang bang 'blergh' x_x dead, especially when we seen some of her abilties speed/strength

not to mention that by the time I had finished, I still had a lot of unexplored areas that could've been used to flesh out the game more.

I'm still listening to the soundtrack of this game on Youtube. That Desbrechians tune is awesome. Really gets the blood pumping.

After playing Fusion recently, I think these two games compliment each other quite nicely. Especially with the recurring characters which appear in both.

I'm having massive withdrawel now. More Metroid please.

I was playing a bit more of Metroid: Other M tonight and I just checked online there and I seem to be past the glitch, thankfully..

It's been in the back of my mind since I started progressing through the game so I'm glad that I can now relax a bit more and enjoy the rest of the game (not that I haven't been already :heh:)

If they don't make a 2D Metroid on the 3DS, it'd be crazy.

Oh, I will cry like a little sissy girl if we don't get a good Metroid on the 3DS. Hunters-type stuff doesn't count.

What does Other M count as? 2D? 2.5D?

I was playing a bit more of Metroid: Other M tonight and I just checked online there and I seem to be past the glitch, thankfully..

It's been in the back of my mind since I started progressing through the game so I'm glad that I can now relax a bit more and enjoy the rest of the game (not that I haven't been already :heh:)

What are your thoughts on it so far? Was it you or that other smelly Irish Liverpool fan who hated Metroid?

I picked up this game when I saw it for £9.98 in Game last month. I was pleasantly surprised with the gameplay after the initial cinematics. I enjoyed playing through the game, now I've seen the end credits and there's just stuff left to find. Is hard mode worth playing after?

The only things I didn't like were the silly spot the pixel first person moments, and some of the cutscenes, the young Samus just looks like some boy ripped out of a Final Fantasy game. Overall the game seems a bit under rated, it's ashame it didn't sell very well.

I was kind of hoping MB would escape at the end, and leave it open for a sequel. Was her human form supposed to resemble Samus, or just a coincidence she looked similar?

Is hard mode worth playing after?

Not for me. I got defeated on the way to Sector 1.

The only things I didn't like were the silly spot the pixel first person moments, and some of the cutscenes, the young Samus just looks like some boy ripped out of a Final Fantasy game. Overall the game seems a bit under rated, it's ashame it didn't sell very well.

Totally agree with that.

What are your thoughts on it so far? Was it you or that other smelly Irish Liverpool fan who hated Metroid?

..you should know by now it's thon other eejit that hates Metroid, the 'snowman :nono:

I'm enjoying Metroid: Other M quite a lot but have generally been playing it in short bursts, never really more than two or three save points at a time.. which is working fine, for me :heh:

I like that everything has been mapped to the Wii Remote only and I've never felt at any point that the game needed more buttons, or indeed an analog stick to control Samus! My only real complaint is, as mentioned, the moments where you have to pick something out from the background in first-person. It seems really unnecessary ::shrug:

I picked this up recently. I haven't got very far (just got to the biosphere), but I can't say I'm too fond of the gameplay. There really should be the option of using the nunchuk; it would make switching to first-person mode much less awkward than having to change your grip on the controller mid-firefight, plus the analogue stick is much better suited to movement in a 3D environment. I'm trying not to be pessimistic, but I hope it gets better soonish.

One tip that'll make the game better for you; don't play it as a 3D game. Play it as a 2D game, use just the 4 directions of the d-pad and only occasionally making adjustments with diagonal movements.

It plays brilliantly this way and feels just like a 2D Metroid!

I finished this off this afternoon and it was pretty good :hehe:

I actually felt it was quite anticlimactic before the credits rolled. I wasn't aware that I was fighting the "final" boss at the time and it was extremely easy to beat

:hmm: I was only too happy to see that there was a bit more to come after the credits that provided a proper boss fight and what I considered to be a stronger end to the game.

Having said that, I thought it was a ridiculous reason to go back and risk your life. I mean.. Adam's helmet..? Really? That bit got a thumbs down from me.. or should it be a thumbs up..? I don't even know any more :shakehead Thanks, Samus :heh:

One tip that'll make the game better for you; don't play it as a 3D game. Play it as a 2D game, use just the 4 directions of the d-pad and only occasionally making adjustments with diagonal movements.

It plays brilliantly this way and feels just like a 2D Metroid!

The game is a bit of a mish-mash between elements of Prime and the 2D games, which in my opinion really doesn't feel like 2D Metroid that much (that's not a criticism by the way).

I'm getting a little more used to the controls now, which is making the combat more fun.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!