NEurope
Retro_Link

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Yeah the 2nd rubbish challenge was frustrating,

But the most infuriating level for me was the BoulderGhost 1 hit challenge. Think it took me by far the most number of goes.

Oh god, that was horrible. I tried to take the approach about "If at first you don't succeed, try and try and try and try and try and try again" but that did nothing for me. I'm still yet to complete it.:cry:

I'd forgotten the second rubbish challenge.

Probably because I wanted it burried in my subconscious FOREVER.

Horrible, infuriating level.

________

Cb900C

Edited by Ronnie

Oh yeah I remember that 1 hit Boulder thing being a bitch. Did it within a few goes with Luigi though, IIRC.

We're in the middle of finalizing the game with the ideas that we've created. Almost entirely new courses...we've added some new abilities for Mario, and the goal is to take the system and the gameplay of the original Super Mario Galaxy and turn it into something that's a little more expanded, and offers a great deal of challenge for people that enjoyed the first game.

From GameTrailer TV

Super Mario Galaxy 2 Will Be 'Really Challenging'.

Super Mario Galaxy wasn't too tough, but Nintendo hasn't been pulling their punches lately. New Super Mario Bros. Wii is reportedly quite difficult at points, and it looks like Super Mario Galaxy 2 isn't going to be any different.

Asked by Official Nintendo Magazine whether Nintendo is planning on implementing the Super Guide in the upcoming sequel, Shigeru Miyamoto said, "Well, as far as the challenge of Super Mario Galaxy 2 is concerned, I think it's going to be a really challenging game, but whether or not we are going to incorporate the Super Guide, I just cannot tell."

"In general, wherever and whenever appropriate, I think we will want to incorporate that kind of thing, but I cannot commit to anything specific right now."

The Super Guide was first introduced in New Super Mario Bros. Wii as a means to help players clear a level after dying multiple times. When activated, a computer-controlled Luigi proceeds to navigate the level for the benefit of the player. It's possible to take control of Luigi at any time, but the Super Guide becomes unavailable after that.

Miyamoto has previously hinted that Super Mario Galaxy 2 will be tougher than the first game, saying that it is being designed "with consideration that we believe that people who played through the first Mario Galaxy have become better players."

Nice to see that Nintendo is still making challenging games. Mario Galaxy 2 will be out in 2010.

Be nice to get a bit more info than just "it's going to be really challenging".

I suppose the media blitz will come in 2010.

Cannot. wait. I hope the soundtrack is as good, the trailer music gives me high hopes.

Even some of the original TV spots for Super Mario Galaxy 1 featured computer generated music. I hope this is the same for Galaxy 2, as I'd really like orchestrated stuff again.

Even some of the original TV spots for Super Mario Galaxy 1 featured computer generated music. I hope this is the same for Galaxy 2, as I'd really like orchestrated stuff again.

It will be. The score of the first game was one of its most highly praised elements. I guess like in film, the orchestra sessions are among the final stages of production. Though I did read recently that something like 80% of people can't tell a decent-ish synth orchestra from a real one(!) - an idea that's catching on in the Japanese film industry. Let's hope Miyamoto doesn't decide to go cheap on this one!!

Just saw the supposed August release stuff on the first page and man...I really don't expect that to be true.

I've always thought of this game as being this year's big Christmas hit. It just seems like Nintendo's style to do that. There isn't going to anything better for hardcore gamers at Christmas. They can't market Metroid: Other M as a big Christmas game as Metroid has only ever appealed to a pretty small number of people sadly.

Zelda is definitely going to be a 2011 game so it can't be a Christmas title either.

Just saw the supposed August release stuff on the first page and man...I really don't expect that to be true.

I've always thought of this game as being this year's big Christmas hit. It just seems like Nintendo's style to do that. There isn't going to anything better for hardcore gamers at Christmas. They can't market Metroid: Other M as a big Christmas game as Metroid has only ever appealed to a pretty small number of people sadly.

Zelda is definitely going to be a 2011 game so it can't be a Christmas title either.

Metroid Other M will be the big Christmas game, along some other casual game they come up with.

Really? Do you really expect a Metroid game to be advertised as the big Christmas game for hardcore gamers?

See that works for me but the vast majority of the Nintendo fanbase are far more interested in Mario, Zelda, Smash Brothers, Mario Kart, etc. Other big key franchises.

I just can't seem them choosing to release Metroid as the Christmas game and Mario as a summer one, assuming they're both near the end of development at the same time. I'd expect it to be the other way around.

Yeah between those two, I'd certainly see Metroid as the more August-October release and Mario pushed as the Christmas release, but then I can see Mario being ready before then, perhaps even for a summer release.

Really? Do you really expect a Metroid game to be advertised as the big Christmas game for hardcore gamers?

I think if you're trying to decide on whats "hardcore" to put out at Christmas then there should be no problem with Metroid, right?

Going by development time on both games, Galaxy2 seems way ahead of Metroid:OM, but that might just be speculation on my part.

As for the fanbase, Nintendo fans like both games as they're both part of the Nintendo holy trinity, and the rest of the hardcore community won't give a shit about either. So all Nintendo needs to worry about is the casual, but even those will still be buying NSMB Wii :P

It makes sense for Mario to get pushed back due to NSMB just being released and it will be a huge game. Saying that, I thought this when they were both announced and Nintendo said Spring (already bullshit) and I will be a bit pissed off as I'm really looking forward to it. As for other games...there's a chance of Zelda. It wouldn't surprise me, but I doubt it. As for the casuals...well there's obviously this Wii Relax or whatever the vitality sensor is called and I'm sure there'll be a few more. Nintendo can churn these out.

I'd say there's no chance of Zelda at all actually. I'm positive Zelda is a 2011 game and will probably be the last "huge" first party Wii title.

I wouldn't say no chance. Its been in development for 3 years, and the already had an engine to start out with, It will have been in development for 4 years, it its released Q4 2010. Twilight princess was also in development for 4 years before being released. Not only that, but Miyamoto said he wanted it to come out in 2010, and while he's not going to release an unfinished game, he has a better idea of how development is going than... outside of people who are directly part of the team, probably anyone.

Perhaps Galaxy is actually being pushed into Q3, just to keep it from messing with Zelda sales.

Now, obviously, it could easily get delayed to 2011, but if they're going to take 5 years to make the game, with a pre existing engine, it'd better good. OoT took 6 years (assuming they started on it as soon as ALttP was finished), but being the first 3D zelda game, I think that's a different story altogether.

Edited by Emasher

There is seriously no chance for Zelda.

In an interview from a few months ago they said they hadn't even decided on a visual style for the game.

They also have NEVER said it's using the Twilight Princess engine and considering they're using motion plus entirely it would make sense for it to be a brand new engine that's designed around that!

Also 2011 wouldn't be a "delay" as they've NEVER said it's coming out in 2010!

I'm sure Miyamoto would always "want" games to come out sooner than later as he wants fans to be happy but one man's desire is not a release date listing.

Nintendo would never release a big first party game over here in August. I'd say September at the earliest for Galaxy 2, though I would say October is more likely, with a November release for Metroid, knowing how much Nintendo likes to squash big releases together at the end of the year.

http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=107891

For the record here's the quote on them not having chosen a visual style for Zelda yet.

Also the fact they were "hopeful" it'll be at E3 2010. If they had something they could show off just now then I'm sure they'd be confident it would be there. "Well under development" I think means like "We have plans for a lot of the content and dungeon themes and we've decided on the control scheme and got it working". That could be considered a massive step forward and I'm sure for a long time the project was in "limbo" with them unsure of what to do with controls.

The fact that they've only decided within the last year or so seemingly to make it all motionplus shows that any development on the game before that point was probably minimal and meaningless!

http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=107891

For the record here's the quote on them not having chosen a visual style for Zelda yet.

Do we really beleive that though? Surely, since visual style is held together by character models, textures, effects, the overall gameworld. I'm pretty sure visual style - or at least the basis of it - is one of the first things to be discussed and decided in some form of tone meeting.

However, I tend to agree that we'll not see Zelda for a while yet. I'd be happier to see Zelda launch Wii 2 actually.

Do we really beleive that though? Surely, since visual style is held together by character models, textures, effects, the overall gameworld. I'm pretty sure visual style - or at least the basis of it - is one of the first things to be discussed and decided in some form of tone meeting.

However, I tend to agree that we'll not see Zelda for a while yet. I'd be happier to see Zelda launch Wii 2 actually.

They've probably got certain combinations of graphical style and gameplay elements and it's just a case of picking the strongest and integrating the best parts of the others. Frankly, if they are going to try and replicate accurate movement though the motion plus device, then it would seem most likely that they'd go for a more realistic take like TP. There are pros and cons to whatever style they choose though, but this isn't the Zelda thread so I'll get back to the game in question.

Nintendo released Mario Sunshine during August in America and then September over here so it's not totally out of the question. It may not have done stellar sales but that was probably more a result of it's platform than anything else. But there's no reason why they can't do the same this time and leave Metroid as the big title for winter along with some surprises to be hopefully revealed at E3. And as great as I'm sure Other M will be, it won't be an enormous sales success like their more family orientated game are so they'll need something to back it up. I personally don't do the whole Mii style games but if they fund other projects I am interesting then so be it.

WSR was a title they released at the start of summer so it's not like they won't release big games at that time even now - even if that was appealing to a different audience. Then again, they could have released that at anytime and it would have sold by the bucket.

No that would be stupid, we haven't had a TRUE Wii Zelda yet because of the fact they took that cheap and easy route with Twilight Princess.

Twilight Princess is a Gamecube game with Wii controls shoehorned in. None of it was designed around the Wii. Zelda Wii is being designed around the Wii.

It needs to release on Wii to be a good example of what a Zelda designed around the Wii is going to be like. Then a new Zelda can be built from the ground up for a new console and be released at a decent point in the next generation, instead of the ridiculous wait we're getting until a proper Wii Zelda.

what pisses me off about metroid is it has the perfect potential to BE one of nintendos major franchises even now while everyone is wanking over space marine character designs.

I admit the prime trilogy allienated a lot of impatient gamers in the same way the old resident evil games did, with the constant back-tracking and tedious puzzles. I LOVE those kind of games but a lot of gamers don't. In fact most gamers these days don't. .. I'm hoping metroid O will do for metroid for resident evil 4 did for resident evil.

Metroid Could be nintendos main mature franchise but they need to get rid of everything stupid about it. LOSE that zero mission samus model for one. Metroid is in the halfway point between kiddy and mature. it looks too gritty for young children but yet it's not violent enough etc for the general 360/ps3 teenage gamers.

but from the first trailer everything is looking good so far.

So I think if work went in metroid should be this christmas biggest title for nintendo along with something casual but they need to build it as a franchise. 1 sequel every 2 years at least will do not every 5 years.

super galaxy 2 is a title im not too enthusiastic about really.. More of the same has very rarely worked for me. I THINK i want to play more of the same but nah. Learned that with the phoenix right games.

Edited by mcj metroid