Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

PSP Go

Daft

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha, I'm pretty sure a Pandora battery can downgrade any version and allow custom firmware. Plus, the fact that no one who already has custom firmware will do a Sony upgrade because they are not stupid means that anything Sony do is useless.

No replaceable batter on this one. ;)

Has the 3000 really been hacked? I guess it's been almost a year.

Motorstorm: Arctic Edge is going to be an awesome PSP game. Pacific Rift is awesome on PS3 and I think racers tend to translate well on handhelds, and I'm a big fan of Motorstorm, so it should be a great game.

Will there be trophies on PSP Go?

Guest Captain Falcon
Your Gameboy one is wrong for starters;

Gameboy > Gameboy Light > Gameboy Pocket > Gameboy Colour

(Ok Gameboy Light was japanese only but a hardware revision none the less)

It's six and two threes anyway, to blame Sony for re-releasing hardware isn't right when a precedent was set long before they entered the handheld market.

But the time between revisions on the original GameBoy line was a bit more generous then the yearly updates being seen here. And each version was still fully compatible with the all the software released for the system up until that point.

Unless Sony offer a trade in scheme whereby you can send them your UMDs and they then allow you to download the game for free again from their online store, the incentive to upgrade isn't that great if you can't afford to keep both your original and get the new one.

Now personally, I'm not a fan of the idea of constant hardware revision - that being one of the reasons why I didn't pick up the original DS, but saying it's ok because of a precedent that has already been laid down isn't the most convincing argument I've heard.

50 Million sales is an impressive number by anyone's reckoning. But whilst other companies who have tried to compete with Nintendo in this segment have got nowhere near that number, part of the reason is that they didn't have he financial muscle of Sony or the strength of an pre-existing brand.

Saying that the DS is only doing so well is only because it appeals to the "causal market" is a bit cheap when you consider the success of the the Gameboy lines that have come before. They had just as many games that appealed to the masses and that's why they sold - Tetris is the embodiment of a casual game. The only difference is that we now have a label for it.

Sony told gamers that they wanted PS2 games on the go and then they gave it to them since they believed what they were being told. And when they got it, they realized that it wasn't what they wanted after all and thus found new uses for them their system. They kept on selling them, just not selling the games.

Piracy has long been rampant on Nintendo's portables as well, so lets not use that as an excuse as to why all the numbers don't add up.

Edited by Captain Falcon

I think a large part of the problem is the hidden economy where money is exchanged for second hand hardware and software. I know that I wouldn't pay for a new PSP 3000 or pay full price on games for it - so a lot of money is being lost in this area.

On the other hand I would not buy a DS second hand because there would likely be problems with the touchscreen, and I can't complain about the game prices - mostly £20- new.

Mmmm... I think if they are gonna do the digital only software thing then they should do it properly, any titles that launched alongside the first PSP should be less than £5 or maybe even give a few away, then you have games like God of War which while newer have been around for a while now so I'm thinking around £10 - £12 mark for those but any new games should be £16 - £18 max Imo because if they are cutting out UMD's then the consumer should be getting the games significantly cheaper than the retail counterparts.

I was reluctant to buy any games when I owned a PSP and as a result only had like two or three which I sold in the end anyway, so personaly I would be even less inclined to pay very much at all for a digital version - even though I prefer this method for PSP games - which will inevitably be unplayable somewhere down the line unless they make all of their future handhelds fully compatible with all PSP digitally downloaded games.

because if they are cutting out UMD's then the consumer should be getting the games significantly cheaper than the retail counterparts.

That defeats the point of retail however. You pay abit more for the on demand convenience. What you may like though is what online websites like Amazon will do who can discount at launch and provide you with codes there and then.

Regarding UMD, PSP 3000 is still going to be sold.

Will there be trophies on PSP Go?

There were rumours PSP could get these. But nothing since last e3...

part of the reason is that they didn't have he financial muscle of Sony or the strength of an pre-existing brand.

Not only that but PSP raised the standards.The games are different from DS which isnt that different from Wii. Look at Japan where games like monster hunter are huge, In Europe games like Tekken are huge.At launch of PSP you had people right here claiming it would fail etc. because it was too powerful and expensive.

Top ups via mobile planned? f46655a66a59a29301bae745a2dc686ffc5effbd

Edited by Choze

I still maintian that digital versions of PSP games should be cheaper, and the really old titles should be sold for only a few quid / one or two given away as a gesture for buying the console in the first place. :heh:

I still maintian that digital versions of PSP games should be cheaper, and the really old titles should be sold for only a few quid / one or two given away as a gesture for buying the console in the first place. :heh:

Who says they wont. Keep an eye out for deals.

So let's say the games on the store are cheap and the line-up is good (which I think it will be) and the price was good for you.

Who here would get one in the first month?

I would definetly if it was priced at £150.

So let's say the games on the store are cheap and the line-up is good (which I think it will be) and the price was good for you.

No...I've only had my PSP 3000 less than a year and its likely can still reap the benefits of the new emphasis on downloads via memory cards then I have no reason to upgrade. Plus I have a ton of UMD games so wheres the incentive.

I don't think Sony will offer stuff that cheap, look at the line up at the moment its all retail priced...a few things have been reduced since they went on PSN but they are few and fair between, I think the real benefits of this will be more itunes app style games.

I've a revolutionary suggestion: if you don't want a Go then don't buy one. This is especially true for those that already own an iteration of the PSP; this isn't a DSi situation, all models have access to the Store.

Functionality wise seemingly the only real difference between this new machine and older models is Bluetooth support. The Go isn't a successor, it's a device aimed at rekindling consumer and developer interest, interest that is just as advantageous to existing customers as new ones; more games will come out, Sony will no doubt push to transpose the success of cheaper PSN games on the PS3, and to reap the benefits all people need do is upgrade their firmware.

Oh, I fully expect PSP games to adopt Trophies but who knows when that'll be. Common sense would suggest that all post-Go games would support them, but logic and anything involving servers don't tend to go hand in hand.

Look at Japan where games like monster hunter are huge, In Europe games like Tekken are huge.At launch of PSP you had people right here claiming it would fail etc. because it was too powerful and expensive.

I remember it was the DS that people were claming it would fail.

A lot of sites having quotes such as;

link it to your cell phone,

will this be purely for file transfers or would it possible to use a phones 3G for downloading stuff to the PSP. Just a thought, cos likely the 3G tech would be more expensive to put in than Bluetooth...

I've been itching to get a PSP for a while. Just been waiting for them to drop the UMD. Basically I've been waiting for this so it's a day 1 purchase for me.

I've a revolutionary suggestion: if you don't want a Go then don't buy one.

We'll have none of that logic here!! :heh:

will this be purely for file transfers or would it possible to use a phones 3G for downloading stuff to the PSP. Just a thought, cos likely the 3G tech would be more expensive to put in than Bluetooth...

If it did that, that'd be amazing. Is it actually possible for any device to basically piggyback on a mobile through Bluetooth to get 3G?

If it did that, that'd be amazing. Is it actually possible for any device to basically piggyback on a mobile through Bluetooth to get 3G?

That's why I asked if its possible, not too ludicrous to be true but whether or not its technically possible is another matter...

I remember it was the DS that people were claming it would fail.

Yeah only afew though, it was always go to sell loads due to GBA. vast majority were calling out the PSP as failure before it even showed up.

Try £200 its a premium product in the range. PSP 3000 is the affordable one.

would it possible to use a phones 3G for downloading stuff to the PSP. Just a thought, cos likely the 3G tech would be more expensive to put in than Bluetooth...

I am sure its something they are looking into but Sony wouldnt want to do it with Ericsson. It would have to be a phone ofcourse(an expensive one). No point doing a sim card on its own. I am sure we will see something one day but PSPGO is definately a step in the right direction regarding that with its digital focus. For a phone the software would have to broadened.

Edited by Choze

Try £200 its a premium product in the range. PSP 3000 is the affordable one.

I'm pretty sure they're going to lower the price point of the 3000 and just put this in it's place.

It's probably a cheaper machine to make. Small screen. No moving parts.

I'm buying one after I sell my PSP2000 and games, gamesindustry.biz reports it may ship in the autumn.

I'm pretty sure they're going to lower the price point of the 3000 and just put this in it's place.

It's probably a cheaper machine to make. Small screen. No moving parts.

In the Qore interview they say that they will keep the PSP 3000. The Go is a premium product etc. I think it works well that way. PSP 3000 is no slouch anyway! :)

It has 16GB built in memory. That alone is very costly. The PSP 3000 already is far more costly to make than a DSi.

But USB flash drives are like £12 for 8Gb. That's damn cheap. And Sony will be getting it in bulk.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!