N-Europe

For the memory of a lifetime: Rekall, Rekall, Rekall

What do you think about the possibility of holiday implants etc? Were it to become reality, do you think you would give it a go?

Would you be interested in one of the Saturn Cruises [Everybody raves about them], or tell them you're not interested, because you said Mars.

One thing which always "bothers" me is the extras [called the Ego-Trip] where they could implant personalities to make your holiday more enjoyable, as shown in Total Recall they have the secret agent extra, but I can't help but feel confused after the "holiday" is over. If an office worked were to go on an normal Rekall holiday it would be ok [i'd say], but if he went as a secret agent [by the time he wakes up he gets the girl, kill the bad guys and save the entire planet. Now, you tell me isn't that worth a measly 300 credits?], and came back a technical killing machine, having secret agent "training" implanted with the extra.

Ignoring the fact he may be married. Could it be considered adultery?

Ahahaha what a brilliant thread. Total Recall made it to #2 of my all time favourite film list earlier. I dunno, it's an interesting idea, you'd never know you hadn't actually gone on holiday and just imagined it. Tough call.

Would it save us a lot of time in our lives, yes it would. This is an interesting idea and one that if it ever became real i would consider.

But there is nothing like going away for real, and actually being there as it were.

Would it save us a lot of time in our lives, yes it would. This is an interesting idea and one that if it ever became real i would consider.

But there is nothing like going away for real, and actually being there as it were.

How do you know?

The only thing I could see different to having this and going is the "guilt" or whatever of knowing that it was a lie, and you hadn't actually gone.

Technically the actual memories would be just as good/bad.

Could games perhaps evolve into this eventually? It I understand this correctly.

S'fucking stupid. You go into work the next day thinking you saved Hyrule [Actually, not knowing it was a game] You might go into work still wearing the green tunic and hat because the white shirt and plain trousers looked fucking stupid.

Tis an interesting theory. Assuming the "events" in Total Recall didn't happen. Would Arnie have sat in a chair for two weeks [He asked what was in the two week package]... and have saved time? You would sit there for an hour and wake up having two weeks implanted... you'd be fucked over disorientated style. Or being there for an hour and having the past two weeks erased, you would've done things and not know about them.

Dude, this is a brilliant thread. Best I've seen in a long time.

I'd prefer my stuff to be real, and to actually go someplace and physically feel it for myself, and have full recollection of it. Have you seen the film Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Eevil? There's a corporation there that deal with erasing people from your mind, after bad relationships or experiences, and it allows you to start a-fresh.

I don't think I fancy that. Experiences, both good and bad are there to make you the person you are now. Effectively, Arnie was living a lie before he visited Recall. Talk about disorientation and confusion, he felt both of those, haha.

I'd be all up for implanting some memories of trips that are impossible, but if I could actually go on the holday and experience it while it happens then I'd rather do that. I do think there is a difference between experiencing an occasion in the present, and the subsequent memory created by it.

it's like, would you rather have sex or be implanted with a memory of having sex?

The morals of whether it'd be 'cheating' or not, though, is more interesting. Skipping to another Phillip K. Dick inspiration; it would be thought-crime! ...Maybe.

Have you seen the film Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Eevil? There's a corporation there that deal with erasing people from your mind, after bad relationships or experiences, and it allows you to start a-fresh.

It's on my to-do list, I haven't got round to watching it yet.

I haven't seen the movie, but I think I understand the concept. Just one thing I need cleared up: Do you actually "experience" experiencing the things, or do you just have the memory of experiencing them?

In case one, I don't see why not. You would think the experiences were real, like in The Matrix.

In case two, I wouldn't do it, as memories tend to fade and become blurry, even to the point where you're unsure if you actually ever experienced them, or if you dreamt them or simply constructed them in your mind (I have a memory from my early childhood of whose nature I'm very unsure).

I haven't seen the movie, but I think I understand the concept. Just one thing I need cleared up: Do you actually "experience" experiencing the things, or do you just have the memory of experiencing them?

I hope this bit clears things up.

Douglas Quaid: What's in a 2-week package?

Bob McClane: Let me tell you Doug, you get nothing but first-class memories. You get a luxury shuttle flight, a suite at the Hilton, a tour around Mars canyons, and of course, Venusville.

Douglas Quaid: How real does it seem?

Bob McClane: It's as reall as any image inside your head.

Douglas Quaid: C'mahn, don't bullshit me.

Bob McClane: No. I'm tellin' ya. Your brain won't know the difference, that's guarenteed, or your money back.

Douglas Quaid: What about the guy you Lobotomized, did he get a refund?

But you still only get the memories of doing those things? I dunno. It would be awesome, no doubt about it. But I'd rather actually experience doing the things than simply remembering them.

True, i'd rather experience them for myself but for a time saving method for those with a busy life, then this could be a way forward if it ever came real.

But you still only get the memories of doing those things? I dunno. It would be awesome, no doubt about it. But I'd rather actually experience doing the things than simply remembering them.

What I think they do is that you get put into a sleep so you're "dreaming" as the memory is being imlpanted. So as that is happening, you are experiencing them.

I don't see it being much different from you remembering what you did this morning, you remember experiencing it and that is how your trip to the Mountains of Mars will appear in your mind.

What I think they do is that you get put into a sleep so you're "dreaming" as the memory is being imlpanted. So as that is happening, you are experiencing them.

I don't see it being much different from you remembering what you did this morning, you remember experiencing it and that is how your trip to the Mountains of Mars will appear in your mind.

So you actually do experience it. But how real would the dreams be? As realistic as normal dreams? Or as realistic as the Matrix? Because normal dreams are not realistic enough to be mistaken for real experiences most of the time.

But how real would the dreams be? As realistic as normal dreams? Or as realistic as the Matrix? Because normal dreams are not realistic enough to be mistaken for real experiences most of the time.

According to Bob it's as real as any memory in your head. No bullshitting.

Your brain won't know the difference, that's guaranteed, or your money back.