N-Europe

Common European names.

Dan_Dare

Howdy folks.

I'm in need of some names for a pitch I'm working on. Specifically, I'm looking for a few examples from Continental, Northern and Eastern Europe. This seems a pretty good place to ask, so over to you!

links to resources, celeb names, writers...hell, anything. I just need as many as possible!

thanks.

Edited by Dan_Dare

not sure why this was locked. Anyway, carry on!

Id deffinatly agree with Dave, Michael, Adam, and Mark are all common names.

For girls theres Sarah, Emma, Rachael, and maybe Leanne.

I'm not having problems with English names dude...

Don't know if this will help:

http://www.statbel.fgov.be/fiGurEs/d22a_nl.asp

It has multiple lists, first for girl names in Flanders, Wallonia and Brussels, then the same but for boys. They're basically the most popular names for babies in those years, heh.

So you'll find Dutch names, French names and then for Brussels it might include more Islamic names like Mohamed.

Edited by Eenuh

I can mention a bunch of common Danish and generally Scandinavian first names. Some of them obviously have their roots in other languages, but they are none the less very common. Varieties in spelling exist, but I've chosen the most Danish variants.

Male names: Daniel, Søren, Peter, Lars, Jens, Frederik, Kristian, Anders, Mads, Rasmus, Jesper, Morten, Martin, Erik, Palle, Helge, Poul, Simon.

Female names: Anne, Katrine, Karen, Julie, Lykke, Sofie, Susanne, Johanne, Line, Josefine, Ingrid, Mette, Maja, Rebekka, Nina, Ditte, Lærke, Sine.

I can give you the top 50 family names from my city. Though I guess the top 10 might do. =P

Martens, Hermans, Claes, Jacobs, Peeters, Janssens, Smeets, Willems, Jans, Houben.

Mom's surname (Vanstraelen) occupies spot number 17, heh. Mine isn't on the list because it sucks. X3

Mattias and Erik are Swedish i believe.

Generally Scandinavian, I think.

I need surnames too! go go go!

You can take almost any male first name (but not all!) and add "-sen", which is identical to "-son" in English ("son of ..."). Here is a bunch of examples:

Andersen, Petersen, Jensen, Larsen, Hansen, Frederiksen, Poulsen, Kristensen, Jespersen, Rasmussen, Mortensen, Simonsen.