N-Europe

How Many Of You Still PS2? (The Beginners Guide to Last Gen)

Still play? Hell, I bought A PS2 just under a year ago! Just after my Backward Compatible PS3 broke down just when the warranty expired and I had to buy a new non BC PS3 *grumblegrumble*

I usually play games that are unique and when there is nothing quite comparible on PS3, like Ico and Shadow of the Colossus (though I wouldn't mind a HD'ed versions on PS3), and retro collections like Capcom Classic Collections 1 & 2, Hyper Street Fighter 2, and other games like Guilty Gear XX, Max Payne 1 & 2 and, up until GoW Collection arrived on my doorstep, GoW I and II.

I only experienced PS2 once I got my PS3. Last generation, I was more interested in GameCube and XBox.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im still playing ICO and Shadow of the Colossus. I have also a few RPG I need to play through, Persona 3 and 4, DQ VIII and I will replay FFXII some times again! I also have nostalgia over 4 player splitscreen action in Timesplitter 2. Oh that was a great game.

You're in for a treat! :)

Im still playing ICO and Shadow of the Colossus. I have also a few RPG I need to play through, Persona 3 and 4, DQ XIII and I will replay FFXII some times again! I also have nostalgia over 4 player splitscreen action in Timesplitter 2. Oh that was a great game.

Persona 3 and 4 are the best RPG's out of the lot you have there, seriously.

If you don't mind slow games then yeah...you will enjoy Dragon Quest VIII

Have you finished both of Personas? I bought them for budget price just in case I have free time to play them. Some time I will! Have read so much good stuff about them.

My main Persona 3 save file has clocked up to around 170 hours

and Persona 4 around 180.

I could easily go back and play more of it xD

Nope, any good?

I think Snoopy Tennis is the only Snoopy game I've ever played! (and it rocked!)

game_watch_snoopy_tennis.jpg

heehee :) I've not played Snoopy vs the Red Baron, but it looks decent - on my want list :)

I only experienced PS2 once I got my PS3. Last generation, I was more interested in GameCube and XBox.

Never too late to track down a copy of Gregory Horror Show :)

I'm currently making my way through Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, a good 8 years later than most people, I imagine :heh:, and I'm really enjoying it :hehe:

I decided it was finally time to slide it out of the rack of PS2 games.. and I'm glad I did :smile: Since getting the PS2 about a year ago, which was followed by picking up a good few games, I noticed that Devil May Cry is the only game from the pile that I have finished.. and most of the rest haven't even began :eek:

It is understandable that when you have many different consoles it can be difficult to share your time with them all :heh: ..but when I started playing Sons of Liberty, it actually helped me realise that I should be focusing more on the quality games that I have in my collection rather than waste time on mediocrity (such as Dead Rising: Chop Til You Drop that was purchased and sold in quick succession..)

However, when you look at the fact Devil May Cry is the only PS2 game I have ever finished, there is so much more quality I still have left to delve into :yay:

Oh my. Metal Gear Solid 2 and Devil May Cry. Was both EPIC! I remember playing those games. I had finished both of them but dont remember the endings.

Yeah, I rather play some good old classics that some medicore games. Its about how much time you invest in games and for me I need quality games for my gaming time.

• 1 month later...

My, oh my... now here's a thread I'll love...

Still own my precious (no pun intended) PS2 and still play (when Uni gives me a break). And wouldn't trade it for the world.

The struggle it was to get it years ago... i started buying the games first, without having the console.... at some point just went "well, look at that, all those games and nowhere to play them... such a waste... gonna have to buy a PS2 right?"

Recently been playing Persona 3- I'm a sucker for the SMT series... (but the ridiculous amount of games i have YET to play... oh dear..... :P)

My, oh my... now here's a thread I'll love...

Still own my precious (no pun intended) PS2 and still play (when Uni gives me a break). And wouldn't trade it for the world.

The struggle it was to get it years ago... i started buying the games first, without having the console.... at some point just went "well, look at that, all those games and nowhere to play them... such a waste... gonna have to buy a PS2 right?"

Recently been playing Persona 3- I'm a sucker for the SMT series... (but the ridiculous amount of games i have YET to play... oh dear..... :P)

Hey, welcome to the boards! :cool:

Lol, thats an interesting way to wind up buying a console. I don't think I've taken that route... yet. With the PS2 I kinda just wanted to catch up with a few games seeing as the GameCube period had passed- Nintendo loyalty and all that. :indeed:

I've never played any of the SMT/ Persona games. Its something thats eluded me but I keep hearing good things about them so I'm sure I'll get round to those games soon enough. I'm not sure what the best starting point is, to be honest- I wouldn't be surprised if SMT: Strange Journey on DS is the first one I play.

Hey, welcome to the boards! :cool:

Lol, thats an interesting way to wind up buying a console. I don't think I've taken that route... yet. With the PS2 I kinda just wanted to catch up with a few games seeing as the GameCube period had passed- Nintendo loyalty and all that. :indeed:

I've never played any of the SMT/ Persona games. Its something thats eluded me but I keep hearing good things about them so I'm sure I'll get round to those games soon enough. I'm not sure what the best starting point is, to be honest- I wouldn't be surprised if SMT: Strange Journey on DS is the first one I play.

Thank you for the warm welcoming! Nice to meet you! :)

The SMT/Persona games are, in my own humble opinion, waaaaaay up there. They are magnificent, give them a spin if you have the chance!

I read (and saw) the reviews of SMT:SJ and i loved what i saw! It's reverting in some points to the atmosphere of Digital Devil Saga... but with the Persona charm... also, it... it's a dungeon crawler... WIN! I might be getting it soon!

As for the way of buying the console, well... reverse psychology, always works!

And i just did the same by buying FFXIII for the PS3 (instead of buying it for the 360- which i own)... damn... gonna have to buy a PS3 now...

Thank you for the warm welcoming! Nice to meet you! :)

Likewise a pleasure, stick around a while, ok? :) It ain't that bad.

The SMT/Persona games are, in my own humble opinion, waaaaaay up there. They are magnificent, give them a spin if you have the chance!

I read (and saw) the reviews of SMT:SJ and i loved what i saw! It's reverting in some points to the atmosphere of Digital Devil Saga... but with the Persona charm... also, it... it's a dungeon crawler... WIN! I might be getting it soon!

I like the look of Strange Journey because it seems like a mixture of Etrian Odyssey and Pokémon. If you are into first person dungeon crawlers you should definitely check out Etrian Odyssey if you haven't already.

As for the way of buying the console, well... reverse psychology, always works!

And i just did the same by buying FFXIII for the PS3 (instead of buying it for the 360- which i own)... damn... gonna have to buy a PS3 now...

Lol! I'll probably end up finally playing FF XIII way down the line. I don't think I can justify buying a PS3 right now just for one game. Well, I guess theres Tales of Vesperia too but I'm not sure what else.

You must have plenty of time on your hands if you are able to play so many RPGs on so many consoles. I struggle to keep on top of DS RPGs alone!

I just got Rogue Galaxy, so the PS2 has been re-awakened. I can feel a bit of a PS2 revival coming on. I'm currently trying to get my copy of Shadow of the Colossus back from the person I sold my first PS2 to. With a bit of luck, I won't have to pay the somewhat excessive internet prices for it.

Just need to get Ico next.

Likewise a pleasure, stick around a while, ok? :) It ain't that bad.

I like the look of Strange Journey because it seems like a mixture of Etrian Odyssey and Pokémon. If you are into first person dungeon crawlers you should definitely check out Etrian Odyssey if you haven't already.

Lol! I'll probably end up finally playing FF XIII way down the line. I don't think I can justify buying a PS3 right now just for one game. Well, I guess theres Tales of Vesperia too but I'm not sure what else.

You must have plenty of time on your hands if you are able to play so many RPGs on so many consoles. I struggle to keep on top of DS RPGs alone!

It aint *that* bad? Eeeck! :P

Etrian Odyssey? You won't believe it but the past few days i have been discussing in-depth strategy for Etrian Odyssey with a friend who's playing it... and I'm aiming to get my hands on one... ah, dungeon crawlers... good ol' Eye of the Beholder days! ^_^

eheh, i won't be buying a PS3 just for FFXIII.... it's also about Demon's Souls... Disgaea... LBP... Modnations Racers... The Last Guardian (go Team ICO!)... among others...

Time to play? Quite the opposite... Uni takes most of my time so i'm suffering from deep withdrawal! :hmm: Can't wait to be free from exams! ^_^

I just got Rogue Galaxy, so the PS2 has been re-awakened. I can feel a bit of a PS2 revival coming on. I'm currently trying to get my copy of Shadow of the Colossus back from the person I sold my first PS2 to. With a bit of luck, I won't have to pay the somewhat excessive internet prices for it.

Just need to get Ico next.

As i was saying... Go Team ICO!:D

:hug:

Please tell me you have a chipped PS2, then you can play SMT: Nocturne, sadly it never came to europe, so US only :(

But it's such an awesome game that it's worth chipping for that alone :D

So glad another SMT fan has now appeared on this forum xD

....Please tell me that you are also into Dragon Quest :heh:

SMT series is just like the pokemon series too me, you collect all the monsters, but unlike pokemon, you the main character gets monsters from mostly all from mythology, so already Atlus have put in a lot of effort in making it stay true while different with the mythology, oh and most SMT are set in a post Apocalypse time xD

I read (and saw) the reviews of SMT:SJ and i loved what i saw! It's reverting in some points to the atmosphere of Digital Devil Saga...

SMT:SJ = SMT4, It's true to the core of the old school SMT, first person, dungeon crawling, different endings on decision, 100 hours + in trying to get 100% of all the monsters you have obtained etc etc...I am bloody pumped xD

but with the Persona charm... also, it... it's a dungeon crawler... WIN! I might be getting it soon!

For me Persona charm is a bit different to the SMT mainline, there are sometimes a dark theme aspect to it (Only need to play Persona 2 to truly understand the dark theme, but I guess all that J-pop music made me enjoy the Persona games in it's own way now which makes me like as a series and not a SMT series ^_^

Yet we have no idea when Vesperia will be out in the US for the PS3, let alone knowing if they are EVER going to release it. I guess taking your time you can see in the end of the line of this gen which one system has the most of your interest :D

:hug:

Please tell me you have a chipped PS2, then you can play SMT: Nocturne, sadly it never came to europe, so US only :(

But it's such an awesome game that it's worth chipping for that alone :D

So glad another SMT fan has now appeared on this forum xD

....Please tell me that you are also into Dragon Quest :heh:

SMT series is just like the pokemon series too me, you collect all the monsters, but unlike pokemon, you the main character gets monsters from mostly all from mythology, so already Atlus have put in a lot of effort in making it stay true while different with the mythology, oh and most SMT are set in a post Apocalypse time xD

SMT:SJ = SMT4, It's true to the core of the old school SMT, first person, dungeon crawling, different endings on decision, 100 hours + in trying to get 100% of all the monsters you have obtained etc etc...I am bloody pumped xD

For me Persona charm is a bit different to the SMT mainline, there are sometimes a dark theme aspect to it (Only need to play Persona 2 to truly understand the dark theme, but I guess all that J-pop music made me enjoy the Persona games in it's own way now which makes me like as a series and not a SMT series ^_^

U got a Jack Frost as avatar, i like you already! ^_^

Believe it or not, my PS2 is not chipped... but i may be getting another one to get it chipped considering their price today...). It is indeed sad that Nocturne was never relased outside the US... but also.... I'm dying to play SMT Devil Summoner II. And Grandia III and Grandia Xtreme.

Dragon Quest? *looks over right shoulder* got VIII there *points*, need to take it for a few spins!

Etrian Odyssey? You won't believe it but the past few days i have been discussing in-depth strategy for Etrian Odyssey with a friend who's playing it... and I'm aiming to get my hands on one... ah, dungeon crawlers... good ol' Eye of the Beholder days! ^_^

Etrian Odyssey is a monstrous game. One of my favourite DS titles. You sound pretty hardcore, the acid test is do you like Shiren the Wanderer?

Yet we have no idea when Vesperia will be out in the US for the PS3, let alone knowing if they are EVER going to release it. I guess taking your time you can see in the end of the line of this gen which one system has the most of your interest :D

Aye, I'll have to take stock of the merits of PS3 and 360 come the end of their lifespans and see. It'll come down to what has the best/ most Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts games. I'm sure you can appreciate my stance. :wink:

Etrian Odyssey is a monstrous game. One of my favourite DS titles. You sound pretty hardcore, the acid test is do you like Shiren the Wanderer?

As much as i'd like to pass your acid test, i'm afraid i'll sadly fail and ask you to brief me on the wonders of Shiren the Wanderer!

As for Etrian Odyssey... definitely on my 'must get' list! From everything i've heard/saw... wow. Just wow! :D

U got a Jack Frost as avatar, i like you already! ^_^

"Hee-Ho!" xD

Dragon Quest? *looks over right shoulder* got VIII there *points*, need to take it for a few spins!

Dragon Quest is the JRPG that started them all, VIII is a good game to start off with, but from how hardcore you sound, you should be able to easily handle the other Dragon Quest games on the DS Dragon Quest IV: Chapters Of the Chosen and Dragon Quest V: Hand of the heavenly bride.

Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Dragon Quest V (DS)

Dragon Quest VI (DS)

Dragon Quest VIII (PS2)

Dragon Quest IX (DS)

So yeah, plenty to go through :heh:

"Hee-Ho!" xD

Dragon Quest is the JRPG that started them all, VIII is a good game to start off with, but from how hardcore you sound, you should be able to easily handle the other Dragon Quest games on the DS Dragon Quest IV: Chapters Of the Chosen and Dragon Quest V: Hand of the heavenly bride.

So yeah, plenty to go through :heh:

To go through the pile(s) of stuff i got... i'm gonna have to lock myself in a cellar... and u're giving me recommendations... oh dear!

But my priority is to clear P3. And then P3FES. And then P4 since we're on a roll :P