NEurope
Kirkatronics

How Many Of You Still PS2? (The Beginners Guide to Last Gen)

Does anyone here still own and use their PS2?

Mine stopped working, and stayed that way, so i had to send it off to a farm.

What are your favorite games?

I loves GTA San Andreas/Vice city.

Turok, and a few others i cant remember.

Never had a PS2 but I eventually hope to get one to catch up with the Final Fantasies and anything else. :)

I still use it occassionally, mainly for Fire Pro Wrestling Returns and just recently completing both God of War 1 & 2.

Never had one back in the day - and is proud of it - however I have used the B/C feature on my PS3 a few times...

Mine's still out and ready to play. I'm planning to get some cheap games for it soon. A few I've been meaning to get for the last 5 years. :hmm:

I use my PS1 regularly but I do not own a PS2.. and can't say that there is really that much on it I feel I am missing out on! Some day I would like to play Shadow of the Collosus, Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, the Devil May Cry games and perhaps Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2.. there are probably more, and since 'buttons has a PS2 I hope to make use of it some day to play those games :heh:

We already own Dragon Quest VIII because we saw it in GAME a few months ago for £1.99 NEW ..and we couldn't pass it up at that price :heh: It is still sealed and I expect it to stay that way for a few years yet :heh:

Edited by nekunando

I still play PES 6 and sometimes Tekken on it as my only other console is a Wii. The PS2 (the fat original one) is running a bit clicky again so may need to lube the drive again like I did 2 summers ago.

I borrowed my mates PS2 when I bought both Metal Gears to catch up on before MGS4 came out. Those are the 2 PS2 games I have if I had some spare money I could see myself buying a slim PS2 to play some old games which have sequels coming to PS3; God of War springs to mind. Saying that I did buy a Dreamcast fairly recently for Shenmue 1 & 2.

What games would you guys would say was the best, the one that stood out?

Mine's still out and ready to play. I'm planning to get some cheap games for it soon. A few I've been meaning to get for the last 5 years. :hmm:

I borrowed my mates PS2 when I bought both Metal Gears to catch up on before MGS4 came out. Those are the 2 PS2 games I have if I had some spare money I could see myself buying a slim PS2 to play some old games which have sequels coming to PS3; God of War springs to mind. Saying that I did buy a Dreamcast fairly recently for Shenmue 1 & 2.

I have loads of games for the PS2 if you guys are interested, theres a list floating around in the private trades area if you wanna take a look.

Never had a PS2 but I eventually hope to get one to catch up with the Final Fantasies and anything else. :)

Good man.

Final Fantasy X is a must for you and I recommend you try the Kingdom Hearts games. I think something like Ico and Shadow of the Colossus would hit the right spot for you aswell.

Im surprised you never picked one up seeing as there were many RPGs on the system.

Final Fantasy X is a lot different to the likes of FF III and FF IV.

You may still like it though, I didn't but a lot of others did so...yeah :heh:

A list of games I HIGHLY suggest are these....(Top being the highest recomended :D )

Dragon Quest VIII

Persona 3 FES

Persona 4

Xenosaga I, II and (III US only)

God Hand

Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria

Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Summoner 1 and 2

Rougue Galaxy

Odin Spehre

Tales Of The Abyss (US release)

Kings Field IV

Some of these never came out to the UK sadly, hence why a chipped PS2 is very epic for import freaks like me :D

And those are the only ones that are on the top of my head, I could go more into other games, but those are the ones that really made me love the PS2 ^_^

I was in the same boat a while back. Bought a PS2 recently to catch up on a few games I felt I had to try:

GTA III, VC, SA

God of War

Ico

Final Fantasy VII <- Currently playing through this.

Dragon Quest

Only problem is, there simply aren't enough hours in the day. :hmm:

Bought Fifa 09 and Lego batman for PS2 when they came out but ive not played either of those in ages, I also ocassionally play DVDs on it as well.

Aye, I too was proud to be a Gamecube gamer and not be swept up with that stinking PS2. :heh:

Yeah there are barely enough hours to keep up with Wii and DS nevermind adding the PS2 and its back-catalogue into the mix! :o Without wanting to sound like some kind of blind FF fanboy, I'm pretty content with the mainline games I've played because you can see how they've progressed and how Square/ Square-Enix have changed stuff. Out of FF I - IX there isn't a bad egg. FF X looks really good and is meant to be pretty tight from a gameplay perspective (sure its the one some people regard as the best entry so far), however, I really wanna get a blast on X-2. It seems really different which I've always found interesting. FF XII I need to play so I can decide for myself if its utter tosh or a stroke of genius.

Then all those other games you guys have listed. Mainly RPGs (Kingdom Hearts for the Nightmare Before Christmas stuff!) but Ico, God of War and those other highly rated games will no doubt be worth a blast some day. There's a decent selection of games to indulge in there, I feel less guilty about admitting it now the PS2 has pretty much had its day and since the PS3 isn't quite setting the world alight. Wonder how long it will be before the PS3 is retro enough for me to get my mitts on FF XIII and the rest of the Fabula Nova Crystallis titles...!

I probably never would have considered buying a PS2 if it weren't for GTA. But now that I have one - and have finished playing GTA - I start thinking 'What are the classic PS2 (and PS1) games that I've missed out on.' And there's rather a lot...

Trouble is, I have so many things to play on Wii and DS, it's not even funny. There are three more Wii/DS games I need to buy and I still haven't finished Final Fantasy VII, after having started it at the beginning of the year.

What I really need is two weeks of holiday, dedicated to catching up on games. Or to be a kid again.

I know what you mean about the guilt. It's weird, but I find it hard not to feel an allegiance towards Nintendo, even though I know company allegiance is a Crazy Thing . I was into videogames long before Nintendo produced a home console and I'm a Gamer at heart, not a ThisCompany Gamer or ThatCompany Gamer.

I suppose it's because I have only bought Nintendo consoles since the Megadrive. Since getting the PS2 though, I haven't looked back!

Yeah there are barely enough hours to keep up with Wii and DS nevermind adding the PS2 and its back-catalogue into the mix! :o Without wanting to sound like some kind of blind FF fanboy, I'm pretty content with the mainline games I've played because you can see how they've progressed and how Square/ Square-Enix have changed stuff. Out of FF I - IX there isn't a bad egg. FF X looks really good and is meant to be pretty tight from a gameplay perspective (sure its the one some people regard as the best entry so far), however, I really wanna get a blast on X-2. It seems really different which I've always found interesting. FF XII I need to play so I can decide for myself if its utter tosh or a stroke of genius.

Good man!

Alot of people slagged that game off but I quite enjoyed it. It was a great addition to the story of FFX and the dress sphere system wasn't half bad.

As for FFXII I have yet to play that. I remember I took a holiday fom work to play it went it got released but my mate slagged it off ( as did alot of people ) so I just picked up ExciteTrucks and played on that instead :) I will play it someday as my mate holds it over my head as a FF game that he has finished but I havent :(

Now that there is a thread like this, I am thinking of going back to playing Final Fantasy X, since I thought it was a complete bore fest that had the shittiest characters ever in RPG...on par with VIII to me. They were so fucking generic.

Perhaps I am missing the point, but if I don't finish the game and give up on it, that's it, never again.

X-2 really stunk in my opinion. X is great though, not quite as good as the PS1 FFs but still great. I couldn't get into XII, I blame that trek across that bloody desert, sucked the life out of me.

The PS2 had some killer games, the last one I played was SOTC, loved that game to bits.

I really need to get a ps2 again. I sold mine a while ago, but still keep buying PS2 games if I see them cheap.

My favourite games I've played so far:

FF10 (Might still have that)

Shadow of the Colossus (One of my favourite games ever)

Prince of Persia

GTA: San Andreas

Zone of the Enders

Games I want to try:

FF12 (I have it, but alas no console to play it on)

Yakuza

MGS (whichever ones are on the PS2)

FFX2

Ico

Now that there is a thread like this, I am thinking of going back to playing Final Fantasy X, since I thought it was a complete bore fest that had the shittiest characters ever in RPG...on par with VIII to me. They were so fucking generic.

You didn't like FFVIII??!!??? So now thats Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy VIII, 3 of my favourite games :)

You didn't like FFVIII??!!??? So now thats Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy VIII, 3 of my favourite games :)

Well my taste differs, I like IV, V, VI, VII and IX.

Times ar changing :D series that I once loved, now is in the garbarge to me. But now replaced by Dragon Quest and the whole Shin Megami Tensei series which are by far perhaps the best RPG's out there on the PS2

Well my taste differs, I like IV, V, VI, VII and IX.

Times ar changing :D series that I once loved, now is in the garbarge to me. But now replaced by Dragon Quest and the whole Shin Megami Tensei series which are by far perhaps the best RPG's out there on the PS2

I really wanna try the Persona games, everyone says they are godly RPGs.

I really wanna try the Persona games, everyone says they are godly RPGs.

.......WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!!!! /sarcasm

Here is someone who I thought would have played Persona 3 by now....hmmm this is disturbing >_<

Do yourself a favor, buy it. :grin:

I have done over 150 hours on it...and I am going back to play it soon, even though I have done finished the game...I just want to go for more and see what else I can do within a year.