N-Europe

Best Arcade Games!

This kind of goes hand-in-hand with the virtual console arcade so maybe the thread would be better in there.

Regardless your favourite arcade game will lilely be the one you will hope that will be released on virtual console.

We don't have enough detail on how far the limits of the system will be.. for example Will it have the power to booast mario kart gp(doubtful) or be reduced to neo geo quality games.

With sd support developers shouln't feel the need to hold back.

But on topic which are your favourite arcade games/ones you hope to see on virtual console?

edit: ill post mine later.

Starwars Arcade!

Other things like Killer Instinct (how great would it be if it was somehow brought onto the VC Arcade!) and a bunch of space shooters. What about getting Sega Rally onto the VC Arcade? That would be immense as I've often wished Sega would make a Wii Sega Rally game. I've not really have the VC Arcade any thought til now as I just assumed we'd see all kinds of old 2D games on it but now you've got me hoping for some 3D ones mcj... which will likely never happen.

The House of the Dead games provided some great times too.

well with namco fully in support it's very likely we may see some tekken, soul blade or at a stretch soul calibur action. This may take a long while but they would be foolish not to try.. The age old ecuse of storage space is now very much gone and it's not like the wii can't handle enhanced ps1 games.(or at a stretch dreamcast)

My favourites are mainly scrolling beat-em-ups. I loved Double Dragon first of all, then Bad Dudes vs. Dragonninja.

Later on, Sega's Spider-Man was very good. So was their coin-op Golden Axe sequel (much better than Golden Axe II).

So many fond memories of arcade game addictions, usually during holidays.

Earliest (and vaguest) memory was of a tabletop Space Invaders arcade game in Tenerife. Completely flat and smooth, you could put your drinks on it.

Super Mario Bros was probably my first proper addiction to an arcade game.

Played some Streetfighter II during school.

StreetFighter Alpha II and House of the Dead were my university favourites. There were too many wasted afternoons to count in those years.

Other honourable mentions: SplatterHouse, Pang

Some of these are already on the Virtual Console, and some I own in some other form, so I'm not too dissatisfied.

My favourites are mainly scrolling beat-em-ups. I loved Double Dragon first of all, then Bad Dudes vs. Dragonninja.

Oh yes, Double Dragon! Better than Streets of Rage... imo!

StreetFighter Alpha II and House of the Dead were my university favourites. There were too many wasted afternoons to count in those years.

You know, I've played all sorts of variations of Street Fighter games (love Gem Fighter!) but I've not played any of the Alpha Series would you believe. :o

Guest Jordan

Street Fighter 3 Third Strike, House of the Dead series, Outrun 2006 (the full arcade cabinets are completely insane and fucking awesome!)

Yep, that's lovely. You can get it on PS2, PSP and Xbox, plus there's a new downloadable one for Xbox 360 that looks very similar.

Yeah I've got it on the Xbox. It needs a wheel to play it properly though. One of the few games where I'd rather play it with a wheel.

Just remembered another wizard arcade machine. Star Wars Pod Racer. The controls were boss.

Yeah, me too with the scrolling games. I'm from that late 80's era when those were abundant here in the US. You can already see one of my favorite arcade games in my signature below, and another in my avi. Here are a few of my other favs:

Vigilante: a scrolling New York City beat 'em up street fighter game in the tradition of Double Dragon, who remembers that one?

Vendetta: another street fighting scoller, but 4 player simultaneous and lots of great weapons/moves/enemies

Final Fight: a great street fighting classic, almost as classic as Double Dragon to me.

Willow: what's you're opinion on that one, ever played it? It came out in the late 80's here.

Terminator 2: I liked the level of detail in this one as an arcade game where you shot targets with a hand held gun, I liked the movie alot too.

Street Fighter 2: such a classic, it seemed like everything changed for fighting arcade games after the success of that one.

Here in the US, they had arcade games mostly in the pizzerias and malls, but not so much nowadays. I wondered what the European arcade scene is like

The Legend of Kage a much better experience at the arcade than on the VC

Cruisin USA ....a much better experience at the arcade than on the N64

Sonic Blastman....this became a terrible SNES beat em up, but the arcade version hosted a huge pad that gauged how hard you punched it , which translated into on-screen destruction. Twas awesome.

Simpsons Arcade- in the same vein as other great sidescrolling beat em ups like TMNT ,Captain America and the Avengers, and Knights of the Round

Paperboy..... again, a much better arcade experience than its NES counterpart

Oh yes, Double Dragon! Better than Streets of Rage... imo!

Indeed! Streets of Rage was OK for a home game on a console. Good 2-player fun too. I never actually bought Streets of Rage because loads of my friends had it. I did buy Streets of Rage 2 though and the Megadrive conversion of Double Dragon which, apart from some puny sound effects, was as close to having the coin-op as you could buy at that time (unless you bought the ROM).

You know, I've played all sorts of variations of Street Fighter games (love Gem Fighter!) but I've not played any of the Alpha Series would you believe. :o

Street Fighter Alpha 2 on the Saturn was awesome, running in 60hz (it wasn't a good PAL conversion, but the 60hz switch made it perfect). Same goes for Marvel Super Heroes. Actually, Alpha 2 was the first SF I bought (all my friends had SFII on the SNES, but I was never really taken with it).

Mind you, I was never very good at those games!

Yeah, me too with the scrolling games. I'm from that late 80's era when those were abundant here in the US. You can already see one of my favorite arcade games in my signature below, and another in my avi. Here are a few of my other favs:

Vigilante: a scrolling New York City beat 'em up street fighter game in the tradition of Double Dragon, who remembers that one?

Yep!

Willow: what's you're opinion on that one, ever played it? It came out in the late 80's here.

No, 'fraid not (played it, I mean).

Here in the US, they had arcade games mostly in the pizzerias and malls, but not so much nowadays. I wondered what the European arcade scene is like

Well, that's a subject close to my heart actually. In the 80s, our seaside resorts were absolutely choc full of them. In Britain, you're never far from the sea, so, personally, I have at least four seaside towns very near me that all have numerous arcades. Then there were the seasides we'd go on holiday to! My childhood was absolutely full of them!

Unfortunately, they do have less arcades now, but they do all still have at least three or so.

We didn't really have malls in England in the 80s. We do have them now, but they tend to be huge and don't really have coin-ops. The easiest way to play a coin-op in your home town was to go to a leisure (sports) centre. One of my local leisure centres had a good selection of coin-ops (seemed like 10-15, unless my memory is rose-tinting it) and that's where I first played Double Dragon.

I was so excited, I was telling all my friends about this game I played where a bad guy burst through the wall! I couldn't remember its name, but they knew exactly what it was.

Then another local leisure centre got Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, and I used to go there every week to play it!

^That sounds good about the Britain gaming scene. I remember TMNT also, I loved the 4 player simultaneous game, which I think eventually came out for NES, but didn't have the same feel of graphics and music as playing the real arcade version on a large display.

Oh, and the arcade game Willow, that was a game created after the fantasy 80's movie which featured Val Kilmer and Warwick Davis, written by George Lucas. It wasn't a very popular movie, or blockbuster, but some people remember it. I liked the game as a side scrolling adventure with good weapons and characters.

• 5 weeks later...

Some Great Arcade games being mentioned here but here is one the best arcade games of all time Alien vs Predator the Aracde. I only got to play this in arcade form on Holiday in Greece and it is total win. People would love this on VC but then just thought problebly wont happen due to licenceing.

Edited by Pete