NEurope
Eenuh

Earth Hour - 8:30PM

earth-hour.jpg

So it's that time of the year again where we turn off our lights for one hour. Earth Hour is a way to show you care about the environment and this planet, and this year they're hoping to get at least 1 billion people to participate (how they monitor this I don't know, doubt they can =P ).

But yes, basically at 8:30 tonight, until 9:30, you are asked to turn off your lights, and maybe even more than just the lights. I know it probably sounds really silly to most people and don't know if many are going to participate.

If you are though, let us know here. What do you have planned for tonight? Lighting up some candles while playing a board game? Candlelit dinner? Is your town/city participating?

You can find more information about all this here on this site: http://www.earthhour.org/home/

You can even find a list of cities for your country to see what they are doing. =)

Here are some pictures from last year:

earth-hour-to-financial.jpg

canberra_earth_hour.jpg

470_bridge,0.jpg

burj-al-arab-earth-hour.jpg

Edited by Eenuh

Hmm I usually get back from work at around that time today, so I'll just leave the light off when I enter the room, can't say all the lights in the house will be off but at least one less light is something. :)

I might have to turn the lights off at the switchboard as my sister loves to put lights on, even if she is leaving a room.

Most of the lights in my room have blown anyway, so that's saving. But am I also to be denied the two feeble lights I have left?!

I'm not sure how you expect me to do uni work in the dark :p

I dunno, suppose I could listen to my ipod for an hour but I doubt I could talk my housemate into doing this ::shrug:

My lights will be off at 8:30pm tonight, only because i'll be out down the pub and i doubt they will be doing the same, they'll lose custom.

I'll be doing an N-E podcast around that time so I doubt i'll be doing it :heh:

To be fair though it might take about an hour for it to get going if the 'technical hitches' that I recall from the few times I participated in the podcast are still going strong. :heh:

I might have to turn the lights off at the switchboard as my sister loves to put lights on, even if she is leaving a room.

My flatmate is the same.

I can categorically say I won't be doing this as the football will be on at the same time.

Good idea though.

I'm not sure how you expect me to do uni work in the dark :p

I dunno, suppose I could listen to my ipod for an hour but I doubt I could talk my housemate into doing this ::shrug:

In theory the TV and PC monitors aren't what you'd call lights [despite the fact they're light emiting shizzle], that's gotta be an easy loophole.

If I were at home I would exploit this, but I'm working and I doubt they'd be doing it.

Sure, I'll do it. I'll have to leave a light on upstairs, as my 2 year-old niece is sleeping at our house tonight.

Oh, and the energy saved by using energy saving bulbs? You then need to heat your house more to compensate, so you really don't win or lose either way. The best bit about energy saving bulbs really is just the fact they last so long

I've never heard of Earth Hour before. I think I'm going to turn more shit on just to spite it

Oh, and the energy saved by using energy saving bulbs? You then need to heat your house more to compensate, so you really don't win or lose either way. The best bit about energy saving bulbs really is just the fact they last so long

Well we have a ton of insulation in our house, and the heating rarely needs to be on even with energy saving bulbs everwhere...

Well we have a ton of insulation in our house, and the heating rarely needs to be on even with energy saving bulbs everwhere...

In that case you're definitely better off, and certainly any climate that's warm - energy saving bulbs are definitely better, similarly, in the summer

We have pretty much all energy saving bulbs in our house so I'm not ragging on them at all

I tried having one in my room, but it was so dim I would've needed two just to get the same level of brightness to actually see properly.

Just use energy efficient bulbs people! >_<

We do. All over the flat. Quit ya moaning :p

I tried having one in my room, but it was so dim I would've needed two just to get the same level of brightness to actually see properly.

You can get different ratings of them.

Never believe the equivalent ratings, so they say oh shit yeah, 15w is like a 60w incandescent, ignore that shit, and go for the next up, so the "100w" one, which is usually 20w. That way you actually get the result you want

Yeah we have brighter ones in places like the kitchen where you need em most. Some saving is better than none..

Although I do feel strongly about stopping climate change and all that. All this will really do is delay it for less than an hour. I guess its kinda symbolic though. I generally turn all the lights off anyway though.

All this will really do is delay it for less than an hour. Ithough.

That's if you believe the crock that climate change is caused by our activity. Be efficient to save money and help economic growth by spending it elsewhere instead of giving to electricity companies!