NEurope
david.dakota

Firmware Update

I know that. But I've heard that one of the problems is that the SD card reader in the Wii is really slow compared to USB 2.0.

I know that. But I've heard that one of the problems is that the SD card reader in the Wii is really slow compared to USB 2.0.

Congrats on sub-standard tech, Nintendo. I'm not sure if i'm annoying myself with my hatred of Nintendo over the past 3 days.

Congrats on sub-standard tech, Nintendo. I'm not sure if i'm annoying myself with my hatred of Nintendo over the past 3 days.

I'm not 100% sure on the reader being slow btw, I've just heard others on here say it.

I think that problem was solved back in firmware update 3.4 when the Wii SD card access speed was increased dramatically. Don't know what the current speed is, but I just need 5~10 seconds to load the Opera Browser from the SD card, which is my biggest channel. Speed also varies depending on the SD card in use.

New firmware is available from today- version 4.1E can now be downloaded.

It is not instantly clear if this is offering new functionality (there's certainly nothing new appearing) or a further attempt to block hacks- so beware Homebrew Crew!

Yep, my Wii was giving of its pulsating blue glow this morning. :hehe:

No info on the specifics of this then? I read yesterday that there's an update for the Nintendo Channel- is it incorporated into this or do you have to get that update yourself from the Wii Shop Channel? (Presuming Nintendo have even made that update available to us Europeaners!)

Might be the same as the Japanese update which was primarily to stop Wii Sports Resort having issues if you went from certain Wii menus straight into the game. (I think...)

No info on the specifics of this then?
I think it has something to do with a minor glitch involving Wii Sports Resort. :hmm:

Would be sweet if it was preparation for the updated Nintendo Channel though, was watching a vid of that yesterday and it looks great. :hehe:

From Nintendo themselves:

Wii Menu version 4.1 is now available for your Wii console. To update your Wii Menu to the latest version, please select the Update button at the bottom of the screen or select the System Update option in Wii System Settings.

This update provides behind-the-scenes fixes that will not affect features but will improve the overall system performance.

Because unauthorized modifications to save files may impair game play or the Wii console, updating to Wii Menu version 4.1 will also check for and automatically remove such save files.

** Please note: If you've updated your Wii Menu after 7/15/09, you may not need to update again.

Thank you for updating your Wii console!

Nintendo

Bolded the bit that hints at Homebrew Channel removal.

From Nintendo themselves:

Wii Menu version 4.1 is now available for your Wii console. To update your Wii Menu to the latest version, please select the Update button at the bottom of the screen or select the System Update option in Wii System Settings.

This update provides behind-the-scenes fixes that will not affect features but will improve the overall system performance.

Because unauthorized modifications to save files may impair game play or the Wii console, updating to Wii Menu version 4.1 will also check for and automatically remove such save files.

** Please note: If you've updated your Wii Menu after 7/15/09, you may not need to update again.

Thank you for updating your Wii console!

Nintendo

Bolded the bit that hints at Homebrew Channel removal.

That line of text was in teh message for the previous update to 4.0 which didn't effect the Homebrew Channel... the text says "modifications to save files" which would suggest the HBC may be unaffected again seeing as it is a Channel and not a save file.

That said I'm still gonna wait and see first, I likely won't be getting Wii Sports Resort anyway.. at least not in a hurry

EDIT:

According to Wiibrew, previously installed HBC's are unaffected by 4.1

also there is a replacement to the Twilight hack which I was unaware of till now (seeing as I already have HBC installed I wasn't concerned much with losing the Twilight Hack), called Bannerbomb which allows for new installation of the HBC and works on 4.0 and 4.1

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/System_Menu_4.1

Edited by Mokong

That line on the 4.0 update list basically meant that it checked for a hacked Zelda save on start up and deleted it if it found it.

It's a pity the new Nintendo Channel doesn't come with it. Like RedShell, I watched a video of it and it really seems like a massive overhaul. The only thing left that I want is a friend channel, an update to the shop channel so it looks as nice as the Nintendo Channel, and a Wii demo channel.

According to Wiibrew, previously installed HBC's are unaffected by 4.1

also there is a replacement to the Twilight hack which I was unaware of till now (seeing as I already have HBC installed I wasn't concerned much with losing the Twilight Hack), called Bannerbomb which allows for new installation of the HBC and works on 4.0 and 4.1

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/System_Menu_4.1

Does that mean I can install homebrew? I really want to import ToS: DotNW!!!!

Not just the updated Nintendo Channel - in Japan, you can also get fast food delivery channel, "family in the lounge" channel (still haven't worked out what this one actually does); think there's also a film renting channel (where you pay for, then stream a dvd quality movie for up to 48 hours).

4.1 seems to be a bugfix for the "how to use motionplus" video - should only force you to watch the whole thing the first time you start up your first ever motionplus game, not EVERY time.

Edited by mr_bogus

It's coming out in Europe this Autumn...

Yes! I've used it to play region free games & works fine.

i just installed homebrew and im going to play tos now:yay:. its really easy to install without the twilight hack i did it in 20 minutes.

It's coming out in Europe this Autumn...

I'm gonna have to go for this option since imported games are black and white on my TV.

Is that really confirmed?

I think it has something to do with a minor glitch involving Wii Sports Resort. :hmm:

Ah, makes sense. Hadn't heard of any glitching problems with Resort! Is that the same as the issue mr_bogus mentions with having to rewatch the Motion+ tutorial?

Firmware broke my Wii, and then my soul :cry:

Did you have unlicenced stuff on it?

Firmware broke my Wii, and then my soul :cry:

Did Nintendo refuse to fix it or something?

I personally wish that they made these mandatory upgrades just to boot your Wii (if it's connected to the internet) and then used them to really crack down on any piracy and any cheating etc online.