NEurope
david.dakota

Firmware Update

will that play hc sd deffinatly work on wii??for every function, are there any better makes at similar prices? cheers

Personally I've gone for two Sandisk 8GB SDHC cards as I find them to be a relaible make and just a better card overall.

Making it work with ExciteTruck would require a patch, something that can't be done on the Wii. It doesn't work retroactively at all, new software (such as the Wii Speak Channel) will have to be created with SDHC support built in.

Yeah and what is with all the different speed specifications? Does anyone know what the Wiis are? That 8GB one has SD 2.00 specifications!! The 16GB one I posted had class 4!!

Does anyone know what this means? I'd rather get the 16GB one, but if it's problematic....I know nothing about all of this stuff!

Making it work with ExciteTruck would require a patch, something that can't be done on the Wii. It doesn't work retroactively at all, new software (such as the Wii Speak Channel) will have to be created with SDHC support built in.

No....surely it will work!

Also, can you transfer all the files from one SD card onto another using a Mac/PC? So I don't have to take all the games off one sd card, onto the Wii memory, and then back onto another SD card

No....surely it will work!

Be my guest, it's already been tested with Animal Crossing: Let's Go To The City and it claims that an SDHC card remains an unrecognised device.

this one m8 ? http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/4949650/SanDisk-8GB-SD-HC-Card/Product.html?add=4949650

will it deffinatly work all the functions on wii , mostly for vc games tho :)

Yeah that's the one and yep it will work for storing VC games and data but not necessarilly for extra functions like the soundtracks in Excite Truck etc - as has been discussed above - so it seems you will still need a standard SD card for those few games that support such functions, unless Nintendo is planning a mass patching session for those affected titles.

Edited by S.C.G

Also running dual saves at the moment as I like to back them up occasionally and haven't run into any problems as yet , although I have only tested a few games with it.

You can have the saves anyway you want as long as they are still on the console because the games only read the saves from the Wii memory.

But now that we can put the channels in the SD card, you have space for all the saves you will ever have in your console.

You can have the saves anyway you want as long as they are still on the console because the games only read the saves from the Wii memory.

But now that we can put the channels in the SD card, you have space for all the saves you will ever have in your console.

Thats fine for the moment, lets just hope that no more games have huge save files like Super Smash Bros Brawl that cannot be transferred to SD.

My SD cards finally arrived this morning (the 2GB ones from Play.com). I've dedicated the past couple of hours to moving all of my WiiWare and Virtual Console games over to a 2GB SD card, and I still have 11,700 blocks left on it! A minor hassle to get them all on is worth it in the long run.

oh dammit, :( why wont the mp3 or other format tracks work with a sd hc card :( dam its too late to cancel my order

How many games can a 8GB card store? More than I'll ever buy?

It depends what games and how big they are. I've put a bunch on a 1 gb card and still got a fair bit left. I think an 8gb might do me for Wii and DSi.

How many games can a 8GB card store? More than I'll ever buy?

I remember reading some time ago that Wiiware games were all smaller than 40MB so considering all the games were 40MB (which they aren't) you could store approximately 200 games in a 8GB card in the worst case scenario. So yeah, probably more than you'll ever buy.

And to think some people were pissed because they wanted Nintendo to release a HDD with 60GB or something...

I think the idea behind that was that with an HDD they could have raised the limit above 40 MB.

^

They still can. You wouldn't be able to fill the 32GB anyway, and you can copy the games to your computer, giving you virtually infinite space.

The games are transferred to the Wii system memory before they can be played. Automatically of course. Thats why you need that much space on your system memory before you can play the game. Although, since we can just put everything on an SD card, they could probably raise it to 100MB.

Yup, theoretically they could go up to 400MB or something. Counting with some space for the saves.

I don't think they would go that high. There are still some pretty big save files. Look at Blast Works with 127 Blocks. World Tour can get quite big if you download lots of user made content. And they're not the only ones.

Could Nintendo eventually get games streaming from the SD card to enable larger games? Did someone comment the SD speeds just were not there to do that though?

Could Nintendo eventually get games streaming from the SD card to enable larger games? Did someone comment the SD speeds just were not there to do that though?

The games are actually coded as such that they have to be on the system memory to run. So probably not. I've heard that this might be solved by an external HDD though.

got the 8 gig sdhc card, but it wont play mp3 for exite truck ect sadly? should it?

are there any bigger cards than 2g which will play mp3s for games like exitetrucka nd endless oceans still?

got the 8 gig sdhc card, but it wont play mp3 for exite truck ect sadly? should it?

are there any bigger cards than 2g which will play mp3s for games like exitetrucka nd endless oceans still?

Those older games don't support SDHC (Any Card Above 2 GB). So no.

The games are actually coded as such that they have to be on the system memory to run. So probably not. I've heard that this might be solved by an external HDD though.

I don't believe it can. HDDs have slower access times than SD cards so I think a HDD would be an even bigger problem.