N-Europe

Fashion or: Do the clothes you wear reflect what kind of person you are?

Slaggis

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair I'm wearing Topman and H&M at the moment. Its all about mixing and matching to create individuality. In fact I think all the images of me on this page I'm wearing Topman, other than upside down (which I bought in Bloomingdales)

Its a nice shirt anyway.

To be fair I'm wearing Topman and H&M at the moment. Its all about mixing and matching to create individuality. In fact I think all the images of me on this page I'm wearing Topman, other than upside down (which I bought in Bloomingdales)

Its a nice shirt anyway.

Yay. Go mass produced individuality.

Go lazy shopping/poor pockets. I frankly don't care about it at the end of the day. I don't feel like I have to try and express what little individuality I (or anyone) has through my clothes. I rarely try and represent myself through my clothing as much as I do try and just not be naked.

I have my The Format shirts a plenty though, I've never seen anyone wearing those :p

Exactly. If you really can only express your individuality through your clothing, then there's something wrong. I don't understand why someone would be so bothered if they see someone wearing the same t-shirt or jumper as them...who the fudge actually cares in all honesty?

Exactly. If you really can only express your individuality through your clothing, then there's something wrong. I don't understand why someone would be so bothered if they see someone wearing the same t-shirt or jumper as them...who the fudge actually cares in all honesty?

I don't care, it's just less fun.

I wouldn't expect anyone to care but there are a lot of people who buy into Topman and AmAppy's brand thinking they're being individual.

Although I do take issue when I see stuff like that bloody "I <3 NY" t-shirt everywhere. It's not cool. That shows mindless following of "fashion" if ever I saw an example.

The thing is, people will most likely judge you first on what you look like since, most the time, what you look like is the only information someone is going to easily gleam off you. If you want to try and have an individual look it becomes very hard when all people do is shop at AmAppy/Topman/Blah. They feed off, and effectively kill, counter-culture by commodifying it. AmAppy for example can have a garment designed one day, on the shop floor the following week.

It leaves people who genuinely look at fashion as a form of expression, and there is nothing wrong with that and I think you're criticism is quite unjust, nowhere to go.

You seem to want to quash some people's medium for expression.

"If you really can only express your individuality through your clothing, then there's something wrong."

If anything there is something wrong with the shops' necessity to commodify. They stifle creativity.

Not just creativity, it destroys the meaning some items of clothing have. Take for example the keffiyeh. Originally worn by Jewish students to show solidarity for Palestine. Now what does it mean? Every two-bit hipster Topman addict has one. It means nothing now.

Honestly, you should really question more the effect these shops have.

Edited by Daft

How on earth could shops not commodify? I don't fully follow what you mean here. I mean they're shops, and they sell stuff... It's not their fault.

But yes, initial appearances are important. It's just the way it is, isn't it? Most of the time I'm ok with it but when you come across someone, in whatever walk of life, who thinks themselves somehow superior because they have religiously abided by the 'laws' of whatever their chosen style is, and in comparison to them you look fake... well... that's not explained very well.

How on earth could shops not commodify? I don't fully follow what you mean here. I mean they're shops, and they sell stuff... It's not their fault.

Yeah, I'm not disputing that, but when it takes a week for an original idea to become mass produced it accelerates any kind of new trend and gives it to people on a plate, it requires no thought. When someone walks into Topman/AmAppy/Whatever there's hardly any thought put into the purchase apart from 'it looks nice'. There's no reasoning behind why it looks nice or where it comes from or why it is like it is. It's a total shrug-a-thon.

I'm not having a go at the shops, they're doing what they are meant to. But they are so ruthlessly efficient that you get mindless drones looking like they fell out an AmAppy advert. If anything, I'm having a go at the people who's wardrobes consist 90% of clothes from those places. You can tell a lot by what people wear.

Yeah, I'm not disputing that, but when it takes a week for an original idea to become mass produced it accelerates any kind of new trend and gives it to people on a plate, it requires no thought. When someone walks into Topman/AmAppy/Whatever there's hardly any thought put into the purchase apart from 'it looks nice'. There's no reasoning behind why it looks nice or where it comes from or why it is like it is. It's a total shrug-a-thon.

I'm not having a go at the shops, they're doing what they are meant to. But they are so ruthlessly efficient that you get mindless drones looking like they fell out an AmAppy advert. If anything, I'm having a go at the people who's wardrobes consist 90% of clothes from those places. You can tell a lot by what people wear.

I love that I had no idea what AmAppy was for ages.

Probably because there isn't one here, it didn't immediately click.

Guest Captain Falcon

Does it really matter though as long as they are happy wearing them?

I love that I had no idea what AmAppy was for ages.

Probably because there isn't one here, it didn't immediately click.

I've just googled it, and I couldn't seem to find anything about it. Can you help me? What the shit is it?

Anyway, clothes: Personally, I just wear what I think looks nice. Right now, I'm wearing my Animal Muppets T-Shirt, because it's blue, and it's...well...it's Animal. He's awesome, so I like it.

Also, I had a thing for wearing shirts, but I seem to wear them less, I dunno why. I like wearing them, but I just haven't been in the mood.

Anyway, my point is...clothes...wear the ones that you like. There, I said it. Peace and love.

Also, Triforce Keeper, I'm really curious what that female is looking at offscreen. Does she have eyes like Link in the Wind Waker, when something happens off camera? Hmm. It looks like it. But yes, you look good there. Well done.

Edit: I just had a look for me and Animal, and I can't find a good picture. One will come, one day.

Does it really matter though as long as they are happy wearing them?

True, ignorance is bliss.

I just think people should question why they do what they do. For better or for worse. I just find it strange people put such little thought into the whole process.

Why people do what? Question what they wear?

Is that really "ignorance?" Do we have to be critical of everything?

I think the more you understand something the more you are able to appreciate it, able to gleam more happiness from it.

I know I wouldn't appreciate an El Greco anywhere near as much as I do if I didn't understand it's context.

I think the more you understand something the more you are able to appreciate it, able to gleam more happiness from it.

I know I wouldn't appreciate an El Greco anywhere near as much as I do if I didn't understand it's context.

Well, yeah, that's fine.

But at the same time, if you're comfortable with what you are wearing, or happy with it, should you think about it too deeply, or should you just do it? I think a huge problem nowadays with almost anything is that we overthink things.

I was kinda hoping you'd do the hard work and show me yours first. :blank:

For some reason I can't even find it on Google :(

But I haven't really got any decent pictures of me wearing it. The only one I've got is of me and Ine on a train, but you can't see the t-shirt properly.

Dude, you're going to have to go upstairs, or wherever your room is, and find the t-shirt, wear it, take a picture, and post it on here. It's the only way to be sure.

Guest Captain Falcon
True, ignorance is bliss.

I just think people should question why they do what they do. For better or for worse. I just find it strange people put such little thought into the whole process.

Well if you question everything you did, you'd spend more time thinking and less time doing. And you would reach the point of questioning why you bothered questioning yourself in the first place as it doesn't seem to be getting you anywhere.

I think you are thinking about it a bit much - it's clothes not art. This t-shirt I'm wearing could, and most likely was, made in a sweat shop on the other side of the world for a pittance, on the other hand, it could have been hand stitched by the Queen - either way, I'll never know, think about, or care to look up. All I know is that's navy blue and it doesn't make me look fat.

And that's why I appreciate it.

Well, yeah, that's fine.

But at the same time, if you're comfortable with what you are wearing, or happy with it, should you think about it too deeply, or should you just do it? I think a huge problem nowadays with almost anything is that we overthink things.

I don't think people think enough. The fact that the Daily Mail is still printed and The Sun has the highest circulation of any English language newspaper in the world (Yes, the world) is testament to this.

Well if you question everything you did, you'd spend more time thinking and less time doing. And you would reach the point of questioning why you bothered questioning yourself in the first place as it doesn't seem to be getting you anywhere.

Thinking really doesn't take much effort.

I think you are thinking about it a bit much - it's clothes not art. This t-shirt I'm wearing could, and most likely was, made in a sweat shop on the other side of the world for a pittance, on the other hand, it could have been hand stitched by the Queen - either way, I'll never know, think about, or care to look up. All I know is that's navy blue and it doesn't make me look fat.

And that's why I appreciate it.

Why can't clothes be art? Please define 'art' for me.

You may appreciate it for just that but if you think that's the only level to it then that is ignorance. Choosing to only acknowledge that level is different though.

Flink: Gland Slam show down next saturday! Woot!!

Yeah, I was pretty pissed off with how we played yesterday, and how we struggled to even get through the game, let alone win.

I've got a feeling it's the year of the Irish. You probably deserve it. I don't think Wales have been up for it as much this year.

I don't think people think enough. The fact that the Daily Mail is still printed and The Sun has the highest circulation of any English language newspaper in the world (Yes, the world) is testament to this.

Hmm, on that sense, I think you're right. But, do the Daily Mail and The Sun reflect all or even most people? I'd say no.

I think there is a danger of just overthinking sometimes. For example, are we overthinking this conversation right now? What does it come down to? To me, it's down to "What do I want to wear today?" For you, maybe that question is different.