NEurope
Serebii

The Simpsons Season 20 - A Return to Form?

After seeing the new episode on Sky today and finding it enjoyable, I came to thinking that the Simpsons is starting to return back to its routes and deliver great shows.

I feel this has been present in a diminished capacity the last few years, giving us some gold eps like "Eternal Moonshine of a Simpson Mind" and "Dial 'N' for Nerder", but the two most recent episodes (the ones that began it in High-Definition) seem to me to bring Simpsons firmly back to how it used to be; sensible stories with a lot of good funny bits, as opposed to the attempt to be controversial and just be manic that came from Family Guy's rise around Season 11/12 with a pinch of trendy guest star of the week. Sure it's not quite there yet but I definitely think it's getting there.

What does everyone else think? Am I going mad or is it getting there once more?

I hope so, because I still try to get in by 6pm to watch it on Channel 4. The old ones are timeless.

I hope so, because I still try to get in by 6pm to watch it on Channel 4. The old ones are timeless.

Totally. I love chilling out to them.

I like how the old ones were hand drawn. The newer ones just look a bit bland.

I've loved episode one and two of the new season and might I add on my Sky HD Box :grin: . Whilst I agree that it's not quite there yet they're on the right path. I'm so sick of the ridiculous situations, i.e. "YAY! The Simpsons are going to..." I much prefer it more grounded in reality with a nice twist.

Never stopped loving the show myself and yes the new ones have been great.

You know, the Simpsons has been going downhill ever since season 8 and 9.

So let's hope it starts going up hill.

Thats the point I'm trying to get to in this thread, its looking that they're getting back to form

I watched season 20 episode 1 this morning based on the reccomendation of this thread. I chuckled once or twice, quietly - the same way I've recieved pretty much every Simpsons episode for the last 10 or so years. Didn't seem any different to me :/

I watched season 20 episode 1 this morning based on the reccomendation of this thread. I chuckled once or twice, quietly - the same way I've recieved pretty much every Simpsons episode for the last 10 or so years. Didn't seem any different to me :/

Well Season 20 may have been the wrong term, I mean the production block that began with the first HD episodes;

"Take My Life, Please" & "How The Test Was Won"...the latter is the one I watched prior to this thread

Yeah I'm enjoying the recent episodes more than usual. I'm talking the last year or so tbh.

the hd intro nearly made me throw my remote through tv.. and thats when i stopped watching

I agree with Serebii. The two most recent ones (with the different intro) have definately been the best episodes in a long time. It maybe a bit early to say they're returning to form though, as they might have got lucky on those 2 episodes.

Heres hoping this form continues and its at least 3 in a row.

btw... Does anyone else find the (not so) little skits on the sofa a bit shit???

btw... Does anyone else find the (not so) little skits on the sofa a bit shit???

Is that their new quirk? I've only seen the first one where the news wouldn't shut up about chasing the couch through Venice.

Well Season 20 may have been the wrong term, I mean the production block that began with the first HD episodes;

"Take My Life, Please" & "How The Test Was Won"...the latter is the one I watched prior to this thread

Oh, well the one I watched was "Sex, Pies and Idiot Scrapes"

The two you said were season 20 eps 10 and 11.

*checks those out*

I think what they're doing with the couch gags at the moment is just showing off some of the stuff they can do now its in HD and it'll revert to quicker ones soon

The Simpsons have been "... alright" for the past 5ish years.

I have to agree, i can watch them only if there isn't anything else interesting on the box, which half the time there isn't anything. They are enjoyable, but not enjoyable enough to purchase a box-set.

Old ones ftw :D

Thats my point, it's getting back to its prime, at least in my view, with the recent two episodes...and the best of the past couple have seasons have equalled the good of the best seasons

Grr the simpsons REALLY annoys me.

For a start, seasons 1-10 are actually the funniest things i've ever seen, period. Around season 4 especially each episode was just hilarious and full of laughs. After a while though, especially with the rise of Family Guy and even some of the recent South park seasons (where they've taken the piss out of modern events/shows/people) they've basically gone and changed the type of humour in the show. It's just frustrating because for the last 10 seasons Homer has NOT been funny, he's just been OTT in terms of his stupidly, and it's so pointless because I don't find that funny. What I DO find funny is episodes such as the Simpsons in Japan ('TURN IT BACK ON! TURN IT BACK ON!') and episodes where Homer became the garbage commisioner ('I told you not to turn around', just LOL), where Homer and the rest of the family came out with some hilarious lines. The last 10 seasons are just them over relying on one off gags which aren't funny at all.

Oh. And there was a time when the Wiggums were fucking hilarious. Bring them back.

Ahh The Simpsons. It is my favourite show. Nothing beats it between Seasons 2 and 9. Then in 10 cracks begin to appear but for me I still love 10. :grin:

I agree with Serebii the past 3 episodes which have made the switch to HD have been a big step up from even earlier this season. Firstly the episode before the switch "Lisa the drama Queen" was not so good the plot was kind of all over the place and the ending was just wacky and it felt a bit weird.

The one after the switch was much better. "Take My Life, Please" had a much more focused plot and there weren't any jokes for me that were painful to witness. My fear for this episode was it was a typical Jean era episode and although inoffensive it felt a bit bland! Still better than the confusion than the week before.

This was rectified in my eyes in "How the test was won" which I found very good. It had some great moments within the episode which had me laughing and it had 3 plots to it which were handled well I felt. Perhaps again they couldn't get the balance quite right as this time it felt like a Scully era Season 12 episode, which is both a good and bad thing. It was on the wacky fun side which made it more interesting but sometimes it went to far like the Mr. Burns bleeding joke...not so funny...

The latest episode "No Loan again, Naturally" is my favourite of Season 20 thus far. One of the biggest problems I feel of the new simpsons is it isn't as clever and over explains the jokes and doesn't leave it up in the air, spoon feeding the viewer. I think this episode didn't do that and sorted out that problem. It has a coherent plot all the way through that I actually cared about. The characterisation was vastly improved. Ned was excellent throughout (apart from one shaky line during the Mardi Gras celebrations.) Even in the New Simpsons they seem to get Ned and Homers relationships right and even though it will not reach the dizzing heights of Homer Loves Flanders from Season 5 (I shall call you stitchface) it definately beats Home away from Homer from Season 16 which I also watched the other day. :)

I'm liking Ned's character more now and I think they have put him on the mends Since between 13 and 18 he gets a bit to religiously over bearing.

A few small gripes The Simpsons go from thanking Ned to taking advantage of him to quickly and it would have been nice to have seen them spend more time in the homeless shleter. I guess they ran out of time but they should have cut down the couch gag which wasn't amusing.

I feel before the and there are still some great episodes. I look at the new Simpsons differently now as it will never compare to the classic ones but for me each week it offers something funny!

This season and the last Season 19 I feel are better than 17 and 18 but still don't compare quite to Season 15 which is my favourite season from the new seasons. I hope they can keep this up. It needs to be more consistant than just having one or two good ones. :D

For me the HD helps as the latest one felt like watching the movie which I thought was great.

I think the recent two episodes were really funny. Sure they are not where they once were but I think sometimes you have to change a few things for better or worse because otherwise you become stale and that's also not the right way to go.

Anyways it's looking up at the moment which is good.

What happened in the first HD episode? I can't even remember, it must not have been good.

Homer found out what his life would've been like had he been elected student president.

It was ok, better than any I've seen on TV for a long time, not a scratch on the original feeling I used to get from the show all those years ago.

I watched 'No Loan again, Naturally' tonight, and it's better than the previous 2 HD episodes. Still not loving the couch gags, but the jokes throughout the episode definately made up for it.

So thats 3 good uns in a row. Serebii could be right, a welcome return to some kind of form:yay: