N-Europe

Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles

CoolFunkMan

I dunno, there's no reason why they couldn't have built off the Resi 4 engine and given us a CV REmake or new Resi game.

RE:UC was obviously cheaper and quicker to produce than a full scale Resi game, and the pointer lends itself well to lightgun games, so it made better business sense and get a quicker turnaround, and profit due to the Wii's success.

But now they have the UC engine, it makes sense for them to use it again.

Hopefully they'll go back to the RE4 engine soon!

Edited by Retro_Link

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/961/961342p1.html

Since posting that initial report, more details on the game have come our way from Famitsu.

Darkside Chronicles takes place in Resident Evil 2's Racoon City. It's September 29, 1998, and the city has turned to hell due to the effects of the T-virus. Players take control of Claire Redfield and Leon S. Kennedy to deal with the undead in Umbrella Chronicles forced scrolling style.

Famitsu got a bit of commentary on the title from producer Masachika Kawata at Capcom and producer Kentaro Noguchi at Cavia, the game's development house.

The reason the game is not called Umbrella Chronicles 2, the two revealed, is that the enemy is no longer Umbrella Corporation. Additionally, the term "darkside" can be taken to mean that the game will provide a look at some of the unexplored areas of the RE story, along with the darker passages of the characters' histories . The game will also have more of a horror taste than the first.

While the two wouldn't state the specific titles that will be covered in the game, they did confirm that scenarios from games other than RE2 will definitely make the cut. Expect to see a variety of characters, including RE2's Shelly Birkin.

The general concept may be similar to Umbrella Chronicles, but the two producers stressed that the feel will be like that of a new game. One point of note is the "feeling of being there" that the game promises to offer, thanks to skilled camera work, some nice visual effects, and the fact that you can see your partner character on the screen in front of you. The game will also make use of the Havoc engine for realistic physics.

On the gameplay side of things, the two producers explained that replayablity is one of the focuses. However, they're also aiming to make the game more accessible as far as difficulty is concerned. Expert shooters needn't worry, though, as plans call for the dynamic difficulty system of RE4 and RE5 to be implemented here, meaning better players will end up with a tougher experience.

Your in-game partner character, who, as detailed above, will now be shown on the screen in front of you, is a key to playing the game. It appears that you'll only see the partner character on the screen during single player mode, though. Two player mode will leave nothing but glass between you and your undead foes.

RE: Darkside Chronicles is currently 35% complete and is without a final release date. Expect to hear more on the game from Capcom in the near future.

Thats some good news. But with the character in front of you thingy (like re4), are we really sure its onrails. Wont it look kinda funcky when leon is walking on its own?

If it is, what a f*ing tease. Its like saying look you got your resident evil 4 camera but you still cant walk:P

Edited by Retro_Link

Enjoyed UC but was hoping for a proper RE4 type of game this time, also this will be competing with dead space extraction & maybe even hotd overkill 2.

Its ok making these cheap to make on rails, mini game or dumbed down games but they don't appear to be using any profits to fund any new,original or proper games that people are asking for.

Thats some good news. But with the character in front of you thingy (like re4), are we really sure its onrails. Wont it look kinda funcky when leon is walking on its own?

If it is, what a f*ing tease. Its like saying look you got your resident evil 4 camera but you still cant walk:P

I think it meaning you'll be in First Person, and the AI secondary character can be seen running about on screen, kicking the door down infront of you for you to move through etc...
Its ok making these cheap to make on rails, mini game or dumbed down games but they don't appear to be using any profits to fund any new,original or proper games that people are asking for.
They fund 360 and PS3 games! :hmm: Edited by Retro_Link

this is kind of a fault of Nintendo. They decided to make the Wii 2 times powerful than the GameCube and not 4 or 5 times. That doesn’t mean that Wii should have gone HD but with more horsepower they could have gotten any game that was on the 360 or ps3 on 480p.

The only reason that resident evil 5 isn’t going to get a release on the Wii is because the Wii cant handle the framework engine. What means is that they need to restart the development process all over again for the Wii witch should take 2 years.

At this stage, I would just like to point out that both the PS2 and the Gamecube received Resident Evil 4 last generation. Whilst the Xbox, which was the more powerful (not going into a technical debate here) console at the time, did not.

At this stage, I would just like to point out that both the PS2 and the Gamecube received Resident Evil 4 last generation. Whilst the Xbox, which was the more powerful (not going into a technical debate here) console at the time, did not.
I think that's just to do with the fact the Xbox wasn't a great seller worldwide.

The PS2 got it as it made great business sense, and the GC was just lucky it got the Capcom agreement in the first place, because it was a well powered console and because Resi 4's producer seemed to want to work with Nintendo... hence why he was so mad it went to the PS2!

I think that's just to do with the fact the Xbox wasn't a great seller worldwide.

The PS2 got it as it made great business sense, and the GC was just lucky it got the Capcom agreement in the first place, because it was a well powered console and because Resi 4's producer seemed to want to work with Nintendo... hence why he was so mad it went to the PS2!

I bet he didn't cut his head off, either. Which just shows that you should never trust Capcom when they promise you anything.

I'd like to see more on this game. I guess you could say that I'm neither disappointed nor excited. It's just "news" to me.

Did people seriously expect anything else?

yes..

I have to say that capcom are the worst most stupid company at this stage.. I'm absolutely dying for the conduit and madworld to outsell all these fuckers.

Capcom literally did this to piss wii owners off.. they dropped every hint that it would be a remake of CV and fucked us right over..

Oh wii i've lost almost all faith in you.. I don't think i've ever been so annoyed with a console before.

yes..

I have to say that capcom are the worst most stupid company at this stage.. I'm absolutely dying for the conduit and madworld to outsell all these fuckers.

Capcom literally did this to piss wii owners off.. they dropped every hint that it would be a remake of CV and fucked us right over..

Oh wii i've lost almost all faith in you.. I don't think i've ever been so annoyed with a console before.

See my thread about decision making.

The Wii itself, as a console and an idea is fine. It has a lot of potential to do many great things. It is the decision making about what goes on the system that is the problem.

Whilst I'm really pissed at Capcom that is isn't a proper RE2 or RE:CV REmake [though I'll prob end up buying it anyways!]...

I actually realised today just how many Wii games I am excited about:

HotD [am yet to get]

Madworld

Excitebots

EA Spotrs: Grand Slam Tennis

Virtua Tennis

Dead Space: Extraction

The Conduit [although not all that hyped yet]

Broken Sword

Another Code

Codemasters games: DiRT 2, Formula 1 '09

What a bad comparison. The Wii is nothing compared to the 360 or ps3 in horsepower. The gamecube, xbox and ps2 are more or less the same. And the xbox didnt get resident evil 4 because the xbox bombed in japan.

There was very little difference between the GC and xbox though. The difference between the Wii and 360 is absolutely massive by comparism. I mean, it's gigantic.

Guest Maase

Godamnit, Capcom... Godamnit.

RE:UC is a pretty "meh" game, too slow for a On-Rail shooter, also with a confusing story (guess I didn't like the story because I never played any other RE game)

For god's sake, it doesn't cost that much to... you know... Make a game à lá Resident Evil 4?

Speaking of which, I have yet to play that one.

RE:UC is a pretty "meh" game, too slow for a On-Rail shooter, also with a confusing story (guess I didn't like the story because I never played any other RE game)

For god's sake, it doesn't cost that much to... you know... Make a game à lá Resident Evil 4?

Speaking of which, I have yet to play that one.

No, those are the games that are very expensive to produce!

But I agree RE:UC felt a little too slow, and you need to unlock all the bonus levels before the story fully makes sense.

But I agree RE:UC felt a little too slow, and you need to unlock all the bonus levels before the story fully makes sense.

RE:UC had missing characters and change details from the games.

Guest Maase

Yes, and it was confusing even without looking at the big picture.

Also, I completely ignored the bonus missions that I didn't manage to get simply by completing levels.

I didn't know how I even managed to pass all the normal levels.

Godamnit, such a boring game.

Guest Captain Falcon
I bet he didn't cut his head off, either. Which just shows that you should never trust Capcom when they promise you anything.

I thought that was the straw that broke the camels back, so to speak, concerning Shinji Mikami's departure from Capcom - he didn't literally cut his head off, he just resigned instead.

Unless I heard wrong...

After thinking about it, I don't actually mind this announcement too much now, I'm quite looking forward to the game actually! I did like RE:UC (which I class as non-canon anyways, and will do so with DSC), so I'll probably like this one.

I just hope that Capcom do a proper REmake of 2, although that looks very dobtful now. I guess I was hoping for too much tbh.

Oh, and thanks for changing the thread title mods! :grin: