NEurope
david.dakota

Excitebots: Trick Racing

Fun is a subjective factor. I mean, it's like comparing a leopard tank with a BMW. They're both "expensive". But they have nothing in common beyond that and being manufactured in Germany.

What if 20th century fox would make a movie about street racers, and because they think it's simply good enough, they call it Star Wars.

It may look like this

Star+Wars+Episode+1+Racer.jpg

What if 20th century fox would make a movie about street racers, and because they think it's simply good enough, they call it Star Wars.
Yeah 'cos that's the same! :indeed:

If you're going to go down that route... then what's the difference between what Nintendo did with WW Zelda... and what LucusFilms have done with the Clone Wars?... Same story!... just a different style!

Yeah 'cos that's the same! :indeed:

If you're going to go down that route... then what's the difference between what Nintendo did with WW Zelda... and what LucusFilms have done with the Clone Wars?... Same story!... just a different style!

Yes, the Clone Wars is a bit of a sellout, and it is wrong. At least Lucasfilm had the decency to make it clear it's a deviation from the real movies, by not giving it an episode number.

However comparing Excitebots with Excitebike or Excitebike 64 is impossible. Excitebike 64 has more in common with Gran Turismo than Excitebots! The two games have nothing in common. Excitebike being transformed into Excitebots is like Ferrari starting to manufacture a car that looks like a Smart Fortwo, but calling it Testarossa.

Its a marketing thing. If they hadn't added the "Excite" bit it wouldn't sell nearly as well. It has very similar gameplay to excite truck, people who played excite truck will most likely enjoy it if they give it a chance. And if they use the "excite" name, people will see it on shelves and think it must be like excite truck and possibly buy it. There's no sense creating a new IP just because the graphical style is different, its most likely not going to sell as well because it has no following or anything already. Its the same with Wind Waker, its a Zelda game with a different graphical style, but its still Zelda, and they aren't going to sacrifice a huge number of sales by creating a new IP when the game already fits into an existing one, and more importantly, one that is guaranteed to sell.

Dude, when you take an existing franchise and turn it into something it's not, then that ain't art.

I'm not complaining about the blob, even though that's a "kiddy" game. Why? Because that's a part of the Blob's identity, that game IS the Blob's identity. I'd get pissed of if they'd release a sequel where you're supposed to paint the entire world with images of your penis and kill hookers. Because that wouldn't be the Blob!

In the same way, the Excite franchise isn't about cartoony robots, or even trucks jumping over a morphing world. It's about, for their respective eras, realistic motorcycle racers. Sure, they COULD swap vehicles, but the fact remains that the roots are realistic. In other words, Nintendo could release Excitetrucks, a racer where you race trucks across jungles, and struggle so the cars won't sink into the mud and get stuck etc. Or they could release Excite GT, a competitor to Gran Turismo. But Excitebots?

I've got nothing against this game coming out, but why is it in the Excite series? The only thing in common it's got with Excitebike is that you're racing vehicles. It could might as well have been called FZerobots or Granturismobots, or Needforspeedbots (heck, that's the most fitting so far).

Like someone else said, it COULD have been called Stuntrace:Bots or something, because the gameplay probably will be reminiscent of that game.

That's why I disslike Windwaker. Had it been it's own franchise, I'd be more than happy to buy it. But Wind Waker didn't feel or look Zelda, and it wasn't what Nintendo had promised on E3 2000, so that's why people dislike it.

jesus if it were up to you we never would have gotten games like mario kart

That looks quite awesome. This looks like a great game to appeal to the Casuals and Hardcore as-well.

Only 2-player split screen?

AGAIN!!? for christ sake.. excitebike 64 had 4 player split didnt it?

and better still f-zero gx had 4!

besides that it looks very good

OMG!! This looks BRILLIANT!!

The graphics are utterly fantastic, the levels look full of charm and beauty, the bug bots full of character.

That bit of the trailer at 0:30secs where you grab the pole and change direction is awesome!

I'm utterly sold!!

I was rather put off what with it being about bots but after seeing that trailer it does look quite good. Can see it being quiet a fun game.

Do Want! Do Want! Do Want! Do Want! Do Want! Do Want! Do Want! Do Want! Do Want! Do Want! Do Want! Do Want! Do Want!!!!

Super Red Bar!

@Ren of Heavens: Excite Truck is only 2 player as well.

Nah it's all about the SUPER SANDWICH! PIE FACE!

Seriously though the mini games seem out of place and throwing pies seems rather pointless compared to those mad tricks.

Edited by The-Ironflame

Nah it's all about the SUPER SANDWICH! PIE FACE!

Seriously though the mini games seem out of place and throwing pies seems rather pointless compared to those mad tricks.

Who you callin a pie face?

:p

Don't know about pie throwing, but i'm eating the humble variety. Just.

I'm not a fan of the insect style bots still, and i simply not interested in those minigames (hopefully, they're just that and not part of the main game) but my opinion has changed for the better.

Trailer goes along with what I was expecting, I'm quite certain I'll be getting this when it's out over here. Just need a date :P

I expected it to be a a lot more different from Excite Truck. To me it looks a lot like Excite Truck with some more trick moves.

I really enjoyed Excite Truck so I'll definitely give this a try.

Dude, when you take an existing franchise and turn it into something it's not, then that ain't art.

I'm not complaining about the blob, even though that's a "kiddy" game. Why? Because that's a part of the Blob's identity, that game IS the Blob's identity. I'd get pissed of if they'd release a sequel where you're supposed to paint the entire world with images of your penis and kill hookers. Because that wouldn't be the Blob!

In the same way, the Excite franchise isn't about cartoony robots, or even trucks jumping over a morphing world. It's about, for their respective eras, realistic motorcycle racers. Sure, they COULD swap vehicles, but the fact remains that the roots are realistic. In other words, Nintendo could release Excitetrucks, a racer where you race trucks across jungles, and struggle so the cars won't sink into the mud and get stuck etc. Or they could release Excite GT, a competitor to Gran Turismo. But Excitebots?

I've got nothing against this game coming out, but why is it in the Excite series? The only thing in common it's got with Excitebike is that you're racing vehicles. It could might as well have been called FZerobots or Granturismobots, or Needforspeedbots (heck, that's the most fitting so far).

Like someone else said, it COULD have been called Stuntrace:Bots or something, because the gameplay probably will be reminiscent of that game.

That's why I disslike Windwaker. Had it been it's own franchise, I'd be more than happy to buy it. But Wind Waker didn't feel or look Zelda, and it wasn't what Nintendo had promised on E3 2000, so that's why people dislike it.

So... what you're saying here, is that Nintendo and other publishers should pull an EA/Activision and release stale, minimally-updated sequels to established franchises rather than trying something new to inject new life into said franchises?

That trailer is awful. Zechs' prediction - this game will sell badly. It looks like utter infantile rubbish.

The trailer is fine, though it doesn't quite show enough. Sam's prediction - it will sell fairly.

People bought Mario Kart in spades and Excitetruck in reasonable amounts, this seems to combine elements of the two which will divide sales and fanbases, therefore it will sell reasonably but not terribly Imo.