NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dante

Masahiro Sakurai's Project Sora

Masahiro Sakurai, creator of Kirby and Super Smash Bros., has formed a new company with a ¥200 million ($2.16m) capital investment from Nintendo.

Sakurai will serve as president of the new studio, which is 72 percent owned by Nintendo. Previously, he headed up independent developer Sora, with the new company now being referred to as Project Sora. (The Japanese word "sora" refers to a vacuum, sky, or the heavens.)

Project Sora is currently looking to recruit a staff of 30, with the company expected to be fully up and running in early May. Although the company’s website is entirely in Japanese, it features a long interview with Sakurai and Nintendo president Satoru Iwata -- both of whom are veterans of second-party studio HAL Laboratory.

As translated by website andriasang.com, a statement on the website reads: "The thoughts of game designer Masahiro Sakurai and Nintendo have become one, and a new project has started. In order to expand what can be offered to the world through games, we will have Nintendo's full cooperation and make something that Nintendo could not do on its own."

Further hints as to the company’s plans are revealed in the interview, with Iwata commenting: "We've started a special project. We're not sure how it will sell or if it will be accepted. Our goal is not just to make a single game. We can promise that you'll be able to experience something different."

"If one were simply considering effective use of funding, we'd have went with a plan similar to Touch! Generations. But that's not I wanted," added Iwata. "We want to make something that will be wanted even by the more hardcore game players, and something that offers new ideas."

No specific platforms are mentioned, although the release date is implied to be 2011. Iwata specifically states that the new company is not working on a new Super Smash Bros. game.

www.gamasutra.com

I know it was posted in wii gen but this needs it own topic.

The good thing about this is that I don't know what to expect so people can't blame me later for it.

Those quotes give this project a very high profile feeling and my blind faith in Sakurai tells me it will be great.

I know it was posted in wii gen but this needs it own topic.
You say that, but then we have no other info to go on!

It good info on what we got.

Nintendo have got Masahiro Sakurai back to Nintendo after leaving them in 2005 because for the lack of new ips, and felt he didn't have enough creative control to make what he wanted.

He set his own company called Sora and worked with Q Entertainment, along with Tetsuya Mizuguchi to make Meteos.

Satoru Iwata ask Sakurai to be a director and game designer on Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Masahiro Sakurai borrowed staff from 19 different developer studios put in charge of preliminary development of it and now Sakurai is back at Nintendo with his new studio called Project Sora which is 72% owned by Nintendo and 28% owned by Sora Ltd.

I think we need a 'i'm really, really not serious' icon.

We all know Factor5 are working on Icarus. :rolleyes:

This sounds like something that will be enjoyed by the casuals, liked by the Nintendo fan/some other hardcore gamers, and shunned by the mainstream gamer. I wonder if this will end up being a launch title for the Wii HD rather than a Wii game (I guess it could always be a DS game though).

I think it's supposed to be aimed at the core-gamers though. If Sakuari is behind it, i'm fairly sure it'll turn out to be a good game :)

I've got a good feeling about this. I suspect it's a Wii game, and the team will be put onto "Smash Bros HD" afterwards.

I think it's supposed to be aimed at the core-gamers though. If Sakuari is behind it, i'm fairly sure it'll turn out to be a good game :)

You mean, Masahiro "Make things as accessible as possible" Sakurai is making a core game? Madness!

But seriously, I think it will be good. Most things Sakurai makes end up very polished and full of small details.

kirby-air-ride.725584.jpg

I misread parts. What you get for trying to speed read :heh:

We want to make something that will be wanted even by the more hardcore game players, and something that offers new ideas.”

Though I thought it mentioned something about the core once the announcement got revealed. Ah well. I still have great faith that this will turn out good anyway. Sakurai is abit like a younger Miyamoto anyway.

Everyone has their bad projects though. Even Miyamoto has had some "not as good" games.

Everyone has their bad projects though. Even Miyamoto has had some "not as good" games.

But Kirby Air Ride? Thats not a "not as good" game, thats a steaming soo game.

But Kirby Air Ride? Thats not a "not as good" game, thats a steaming soo game.

But at least it's a game...

I'm kinda in the dark. I never played Kirby's Air Ride, but I've seen a couple of videos, and it didn't seem bad. Did the game have terrible controls, or something?

Whoa! Why the hate for Kirbys Air Ride? I LOVED that game to bits especially all the unlockables that it had, kinda like the first achievements system :) Me and mates spent many a hours playing the multiplayer modes and took turns trying to get different achievements. Good times, good times.

Kirby's Air Ride is a great wee game! The only thing that it does wrong in the eyes of many people is the fact that its not Mario Kart. Its basically one button madness with wacky challenges to complete- making it a great complimentary title and alternative to Mazza Kart.

Why all that talk about Wii HD, .... ? I never heard of it, can I have some references please...

Anyways, Sakurai is a very creative genius, and with him being put on a complete new experience, this game should be and interesting piece of art!

The ONLY mention from Nintendo about a HD Wii was Miyamoto refering to Nintendo making a HD console 'one day'.

Other than that there are rumours that Nintendo is showcasing a new HD console to developers. Very unlikely at this stage.

I agree that Kirby Air Ride was great! I spenr much more time on it than I did on Double Dash, because of the different modes and all the unlockables.

lets make a bet wich game they are going to make you can name 2 :P and then we will see who is right

1: Kirby adventure game

2: a New Donkey kong adventure game

Sign in to follow this