NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dante

Masahiro Sakurai's Project Sora

New IP.

None of your suggestions really 'fit' with that Iwata and Masahiro said. I really doubt it'll be an existing franchise.

I'm with shadow, Sakurai left Nintendo so he wasn't forced into doing that.

The fanboy inside me is over the moon that Sakurai is back at Nintendo and won't be working on any PS3/360 projects. :heh:

And by the way...

http://gonintendo.com/?p=49913

Anyone remember this, where Sakurai and Goichi Suda suggested that they had a project in the works together?

The ONLY mention from Nintendo about a HD Wii was Miyamoto refering to Nintendo making a HD console 'one day'.

Other than that there are rumours that Nintendo is showcasing a new HD console to developers. Very unlikely at this stage.

There's also Iwata's console cycle plans. Revolutionary new concept (the Wii) followed by a successor which doesn't go as far as the previous concept did in terms of innovation, but rather improves on it (I'm guessing he meant from a graphical aspect mainly, but also improving core features such as the online system, loading times, general system performance, improving things such as motion-sensing and the speaker. Not forgetting TRUE POINTER CONTROLS. :heh:)

New IP.

None of your suggestions really 'fit' with that Iwata and Masahiro said. I really doubt it'll be an existing franchise.

I absolutely agree. There's no way this is going to be an existing IP.

The problem is that casual gamers are afraid to try anything new really. They'll play the Wii Prefix games because they look familiar and more normal. They'll play Mario Kart because everyone knows who Mario is, and it says Wii right in the title. And they'll play guitar hero or Rockband because they can understand it easily. But they're not going to go out and buy something like Zack and Wiki, or World of Goo, because they look too hard, they don't look familiar, and they don't really know much about them. While they'll gladly buy crappy sports/ponies/racing/ect. games because they look familiar, and you can easily tell what they're about just by glancing at the case. And that is the brick wall we've hit in gaming, Casuals don't want to explore gaming, they just want to play what seems familiar, while gamers want new revolutionary games, and evolutionary games.

The problem is that casual gamers are afraid to try anything new really. They'll play the Wii Prefix games because they look familiar and more normal. They'll play Mario Kart because everyone knows who Mario is, and it says Wii right in the title. And they'll play guitar hero or Rockband because they can understand it easily. But they're not going to go out and buy something like Zack and Wiki, or World of Goo, because they look too hard, they don't look familiar, and they don't really know much about them. While they'll gladly buy crappy sports/ponies/racing/ect. games because they look familiar, and you can easily tell what they're about just by glancing at the case. And that is the brick wall we've hit in gaming, Casuals don't want to explore gaming, they just want to play what seems familiar, while gamers want new revolutionary games, and evolutionary games.

That's not exactly true. The reason "casuals" buy those games it's because they were well marketed. If they were afraid to try new things, the Wii and Rock Band/Guitar Hero wouldn't become successful in the first place.

I'd say "core" gamers are the ones fitting that description the most. What do they prefer to buy/play? Games like Soul Bubbles, Big Bang Mini or Boom Blox... or the new iteration of Zelda/Metroid/Final Fantasy/Halo/etc.?

That's not exactly true. The reason "casuals" buy those games it's because they were well marketed. If they were afraid to try new things, the Wii and Rock Band/Guitar Hero wouldn't become successful in the first place.

I'd say "core" gamers are the ones fitting that description the most. What do they prefer to buy/play? Games like Soul Bubbles, Big Bang Mini or Boom Blox... or the new iteration of Zelda/Metroid/Final Fantasy/Halo/etc.?

But games like Guitar Hero and Rockband are something they can understand easily from real life. Its an easy concept to understand, you pretend to be a rockband/guitarist. People can understand that almost as easily as they can understand something like Wii Sports. And not all casual games are marketed all that well. The big ones are, just like big hardcore games are marketed well.

I know tons of hardcore gamers who buy those smaller games, and while they're not talked about as much as the big games, thats more just because they're not as popular/big. Its not even really anything new either, people have been playing flash games like that for years. Its becoming more popular now because Console companies are offering digital download services.

If you were a casual gamer and you walked into a store and there were two games sitting on the shelf that you were trying to decide between, one is about something you do in real life and are familiar with, and the other one is something like Boom Blox or Zack and Wiki. Chances are you're going to buy the first one.

I vote on new IP, and I really hope that's the case. Whatever it is, this man has what it takes to make it a great game.

Last month, Nintendo announced the formation of Project Sora, a new studio created from the combination of Smash Bros. creator Masahiro Sakurai's Sora Ltd. and a pile of Nintendo's money. This week, the new company took out a full-page ad in Famitsu seeking new employees.

The ad reiterates that Sora is working on "something that Nintendo can't create by themselves." Nintendo president Satoru Iwata also has quotes in the ad, which provide one small detail: "I am asking for something special here, something that isn't Smash Bros.," Iwata says. While it's entirely possible Sora or another studio is also working on another Smash Bros. title, the mysterious game that the developer is focusing on right now is something else. We don't even know which system it will involve!

Joystiq

^ Definately. Quite excited at the prospect of a new IP.

Although (i think it was the chosen one who said it), I'd also love to see a new Donkey Kong adventure. DK64 was brilliant

Okay, this news give me even more hope!

And bigger hopes means bigger disappointments, so don't disappoint me!!

Shit will be HUGE!

I remember hearing things that this project wasn't like a traditional game really though.

People shouldn't get their hopes up too much, it could be building up to something massively casual for all we know.

"something that Nintendo can't create by themselves."

Quite obviously a title for the hardcore audience :p

Personally I think it will be a Bridge Title. Deep enough for the hardcore, flashy enough for the mainstream, simple enough for the casuals. And by simple and deep, I mean it could go either way depending on who's playing it, like Mario Kart.

When they say Nintendo can't do it for themselves, I get the feeling that it will be a custom genre, or one that Nintendo traditionally hasn't bothered with.

I remember hearing things that this project wasn't like a traditional game really though.

People shouldn't get their hopes up too much, it could be building up to something massively casual for all we know.

Of course it will be casual. Above all, Sakurai's trademark is the fact that all his games are easily accessible (although Melee might've been the exception. And granted, I never played Meteos)

Since when is a game automatically causal if its accessible?

I dunno. I'm going by the definition people usually give.

I've heard people say Mario Kart Wii and SSBB are casual-friendly, based solely on the fact that they're more accessible.

Silly and ambiguous, I know. Which is why I don't like the word in the first place.

Sign in to follow this