N-Europe

UK overtakes Japan as 2nd biggest gaming market in the world

Pyxis

UK Overtakes Japan When It Comes To Gaming Sales

Figures published by GfK-ChartTrack show that UK has now overtaken Japan as the second biggest games market worldwide as far as unit sales were concerned.

The data comes from a joint research venture between three market research firms: one for America, one for Japan and one for UK (that's GfK).

Japan still leads the UK when it comes to sales figures although Dorian Block, the head of GfK-ChartTrack, doesn't exclude the possibility that UK surpasses Japan later this year on this as well (ed: that will depend on the exchange rate).

For the first five weeks of 2009, the UK console market grew by 37 percent in unit sales and 27 percent in revenue numbers when compared to the same period last year.

This could mean that the bulk of the growth has been coming from the lower/budget end of the market combined with the heavy discounting being done by retailers in a bid to boost post-Christmas sales.

The US is still number one when it comes to unit sales and revenues although the population of the US of A is five times that of Britain while Japan has twice more inhabitants than in UK.

http://storage.itproportal.com/articles/2009/02/10/uk-overtakes-japan-when-it-comes-gaming-sales/

I'd posted this awhile ago but i will post it here.

2008* Top 5 Video Game Titles

Top Global Markets Report

Ranked By Units**

2008 Titles                 Publisher            Total    US Retail  Japan Retail   UK Retail
Mario Kart Wii              Nintendo             8.94mil  5 mil      2mil           1.94mil
Wii Fit                     Nintendo             8.31mil  4.55mil    2.15mil        1.61mil
Grand Theft Auto IV         Take 2 Interactive   7.29mil  5.18mil    256K           1.85mil
Super Smash Bros: Brawl     Nintendo             6.32mil  4.17mil    1.75mil        404K
Call Of Duty: World At War  Activision Blizzard  5.89mil  4.46mil    0              1.43mil

Software Sales by Region

2007		2008
US		233.40M*	268.40M
Japan	 	 75.85M	 	 66.05M
UK	 	 58.20M	 	 74.30M
Total		367.70M		409.90M

2008 VIDEO GAME SOFTWARE SALES across top global markets EXPERIENCE double-digit growth

Overall Sales in United States and United Kingdom Continue to Climb While Japanese Market Experiences Annual Decline

NEW YORK, TOKYO, LONDON, February 2, 2009 – According to recent findings from Top Global Markets, an integrated monthly report from leading providers of consumer and retail information in the video games industry, The NPD Group, GfK Chart-Track Limited and Enterbrain, Inc., combined video game software unit sales across the world’s three largest games markets experienced growth of 11 percent in calendar year 2008 (Jan.-Dec.), totaling 409.9 million units versus the 367.7 million units sold across these markets in 2007.

The increase in growth comes from both United States and UK, with respective increases of 15 percent and 26 percent. Japan did not fare as well, experiencing a 13 percent decline in 2008, which can largely be attributed to a decline in portable software, followed by console software.

While Japan’s overall gaming software market in 2008 declined, it wasn’t due to poor sales on any current-generation hardware platform. Instead, the decline in Japan was driven by the shrinking PlayStation 2 software market, which experienced a 46 percent decrease in 2008 based on units. According to Enterbrain, Inc., sales for Nintendo DS’ Touch Generation software series was also slightly down in 2008.

Looking at the Japanese video game software market by console platform, each system (Sony’s PlayStation 3, Nintendo’s Wii, and Microsoft’s Xbox 360) experienced positive year-over-year growth.

“Looking ahead to 2009, a string of star titles are lined up to hit the market, including DS's Dragon Quest IX: Hoshizora no Mamoribito,” said Ricky K Tanimoto, Global Marketing Analyst, Enterbrain, Inc. “There are also big console titles scheduled for release in 2009, such as Monster Hunter 3 and Final Fantasy XIII -- leading us to anticipate the console software market will fuel sales of this year’s gaming market.”

The United Kingdom experienced the largest aggregate growth as well as category growth, with console software experiencing a 38 percent gain, and portable software increasing 6 percent. Growth in the United States saw console software growth of 22 percent and portable software growth of 2 percent.

“There are some incredible statistics within the Top Global Markets Report that highlight the differences between the three major markets in the world,” said Dorian Bloch, Business Group Director, GfK Chart-Track Limited. “In fact, UK console videogame software units are more than double what was achieved in 2003, which just shows how fast the UK market has been growing. Because of this amazing growth and coupled with the downtown currently being experienced in Japan, the UK market has for the first time overtaken Japan as the No2 world market. Although still behind on revenue, the gap has narrowed considerably and it will be interesting to see how things develop during 2009.”

Continuing the growth of the Video Game industry over the past few years, 2008 software

unit sales in the U.S. also saw an increase of 15 percent over 2007, selling over 268.4 million units for the year; nearly 36 million more units than last year,” said Anita Frazier, industry analyst, The NPD Group. “Only two months in 2008 saw a decline in unit sales in the U.S., with one due in large part to the release of 360 Halo 3 in Sept’07 and the other due to an additional week in the Jan’07 retail calendar.”

Does it not say that the UK could pass Japan this year, as in, it's still to happen?

2007	        2008
US		233.40M*	268.40M
Japan	 	 75.85M	 	 66.05M
UK	 	 58.20M	 	 74.30M
Total		367.70M		409.90M

What a stupid nonsense article with a blatantly untrue headline.

Its also obvious some idiots such as the posters above can not read.

What!?

If you add the rest of Europe to this, why the hell are treated like lesser consumers?

This.

Why the fuck was the UK separated from the rest of Europe in this? They're in the same boat as us.

And for that matter, how come Australia/New Zealand aren't included as a separate market?

And what about Canada and South America? Why aren't those territories coupled with the US?

And aren't there other Asian countries where videogames are sold?

I would love to see more numbers and how they are being collated. Without that how would i know these are trustworthy? Unfortunately GFk-Charttrack have been misleading in the past when comparing Japan.

Can you link the total figures Dante. Many websites are saying they dont have them so i would love to know where did you find those.

Interestingly its timed when UK retailers are lowering orders or pulling out of videgames.

Here is the source Choze and every single sales news here.

Thanks! Looks good but i cant find the total sales. The sales thread is great never knew it existed...

Didnt know Wii 3rd party sales were that poor. Even PS3 is outperforming it in the category... :eek:

Japan publishers need to lay off the moneyhats and sell games to the correct target demographics.

Flattery or flaming will get you nowhere, my dear.

If i am wrong then i apologize.

Thanks! Looks good but i cant find the total sales. The sales thread is great never knew it existed...

Didnt know Wii 3rd party sales were that poor. Even PS3 is outperforming it in the category... :eek:

Eh read the back pages of sales news topic.

Because it's showing how popular video games are in just the UK alone (3rd), and for a few small islands that isn't half bad.

Heh, still a bit pointless, considering Japan is also a bunch of small islands. :rolleyes:

But seriously, why not show the sales of other countries? It sounds like the study was made for these 3 countries alone. Why not include Australia, Canada or other european countries?

Why the fuck was the UK separated from the rest of Europe in this? They're in the same boat as us.

Maybe because "The UK is now the 2nd biggest games market!" makes for a good story, while "Europe's games market is still smaller than the US!" does not?

What is really incredible though is just how much the UK population is buying in to video games. There's only 60 Million people in this country vs 130 Million in Japan and 305 Million in the US. We're pretty much the biggest gaming culture on the planet now (or maybe just the easiest victims to capitalism :p)

Japan still leads the UK when it comes to sales figures although Dorian Block, the head of GfK-ChartTrack, doesn't exclude the possibility that UK surpasses Japan later this year on this as well (ed: that will depend on the exchange rate)

Can't say I looked at the figures from Dante's post. This is mainly what I read from the first post. Very misleading so, forgive my ignorance.

What is really incredible though is just how much the UK population is buying in to video games. There's only 60 Million people in this country vs 130 Million in Japan

Yeah, that's amazing and a good counterpoint to the 'Japan is also some small islands' argument. The UK just loves video games.

Heh, still a bit pointless, considering Japan is also a bunch of small islands. :rolleyes:

But seriously, why not show the sales of other countries? It sounds like the study was made for these 3 countries alone. Why not include Australia, Canada or other european countries?

Sales around Europe aren't controlled and only show up reliable pictures when publishers tell us.

Can't say I looked at the figures from Dante's post. This is mainly what I read from the first post. Very misleading so, forgive my ignorance.

It's talking about units of games, not the prices. Brits are buying more games than Japan.