N-Europe

Dante

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dead-space-20090217093831088-000.jpg

dead-space-20090217093833291-000.jpg

"Dead Space Extraction introduces new characters, weapons, enemies, puzzles and cooperative multiplayer gameplay."
Our gameplay takes advantage of a guided and cinematic camera which allows us to frame the action on screen and deliver fantastic and gripping action sequences packed with loads of scares. We plan to evolve the game by focusing on a frenetic first-person perspective that we believe will enhance the tension and horror the player experiences as they play the game. The unique gameplay and first-person perspective allows us to combine a high action horror movie experience within an interactive environment.
Extraction is not your typical Rail Shooter. Our goal is to innovate and push the genre forward like Dead Space did for third-person action survival horror.

When we started designing the game we had a ton of important elements from Dead Space that we needed to retain:

1. Exciting and rewarding gameplay

2. A horrific experience set in visually stunning environments

3. Incredible mood and sound

4. A mature and thought provoking story

5. Unique, terrifying, and satisfying enemies, weapons and bosses

Creating an intimate horror experience is a central tenet for Extraction and moving to a first person perspective felt like a great fit for the Wii allowing us the ability to create the most intense experience possible on this platform.

We plan to deliver the same production values, pacing and immersive feeling that has become a trademark of the Dead Space team to the Wii for the first time.

We have the same people from Dead Space directing and designing the game. As I mentioned previously Mood and Sound were two of the many areas from Dead Space we hope to deliver on in Dead Space Extraction. We are confident we are pushing the Wii hardware harder than anyone has done to date.

Good good!

Trailer's fantastic. Looks to be running on the game engine and looks really good. Lots of detail in the enemies and levels and the lighting is equally as good. Was a bit shocked to hear it had gone to the first person perspective but the more I think about it the more i think it'll increase the tension of the game because even though you couldn't see properly behind you in the third person view in the original, you could still see things coming to attack from behind. This will close things in making for a much more claustrophobic experience.

Was even more shocked to see it's an on-rails shooter. But again, with the constrictions on movement, it'll make for a much more tense atmosphere, going beyond that which was present in the first one. I'm certainly looking forward to it. Looks great and I'm sure it'll play great and Redwood Studios themselves are working on it which means they'll have the expertise from the first title instead o panning it off to someone else.

"YES! Dead Space coming to Wii? FINALLY, good quality third-person shooters in the vein of RE4!! EA gets us!"

"***Dead Space: Extraction announced***"

"... on-rails shooter? ... The fuck?"

Let's see if we pass this test aswell, EA.

Seriously though, as a big fan of the original this is a bit disappointing. When it was confirmed for Wii I got all excited because its one of those games that lends itself well to Wii controls, just like RE4.

On-rail shooters are nice and all, and it's nice seeing Wii help that genre flourish, but this game was a beacon of hope for third-person action games on the platform, and they blew it. Instead they made a game in a genre that is becoming crowded, instead of doing what only a 5 year old port is doing.

At least it looks good.

Well I would not have not been all that bothered about this had it been unveiled a week ago, but after the fun I have had with House of the Dead Overkill I am now oddly interested. Previously was hoping for something akin to Resi 4 Wii Edition but rather this than a downgraded port of the next gen version...

Well I think the real problem here is expectations. Till now, I've seen nobody critisizing the quality of game; actually I believe it might be a pretty nice game. Problem is, backslash is happening because people were expecting a Dead Space game, which is a third person action game. Instead, what was announced was a lightgun game.

The same would have happened if Capcom announced Resident Evil 5 for Wii, and then later said the game would be an on-rails lightgun game.

Complaining about this is idiotic! They aren't going to change it now!
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles started RE4'ish.

They probably won't: right, but if they had two brain cells they would rework it. Or at least expect discontent.

It's still feedback, they should be happy that I'm giving them mine in the first place... so suck it (for EA)

So EA give us hardcore fans a mature game, then we complain about it when it get it!

That surely just makes companies think, why bother!

YES I know this wasn't necessarily what we were wanting/expecting Dead Space Wii to be, but at least we are getting the series!

And like I've said numerous times, it will lead to the likelihood of getting Dead Space 2.

It looks like they are putting shit loads of effort into this game and they are making it a new story entry.

So EA give us hardcore fans a mature game, then we complain about it when it get it!

YES I know this wasn't necessarily what we were wanting/expecting Dead Space Wii to be, but at least we are getting the series!

And like I've said numerous times, it will lead to the likelihood of getting Dead Space 2.

It looks like they are putting shit loads of effort into this game and they are making it a new story entry.

i agree with you Retro_Link.

Right, guys. I suggest you all look at Dante's post on "Whats Killing The Video Game Business. The fact is, along with the vast majority of publishers and developers, EA are feeling the pinch of rising development costs, and Wii is presenting itself as a more profitable alternative, factor in a quicker development cycle and ultimately a you've got faster cash flow for EA.

Fact is, an on-rails game will require far less TIME, RESOURCES and MONEY to build than a full fledged 3D extravaganza.

Yes, i'd have liked that extravaganza, but honestly, if its a choice between a quick cash-in baby-sitting or waggle-fest sports party game, or a quick cash-in on-rails Dead Space horror shooter, i know where my breads buttered.

Bring it the fuck on EA. Scare me shitless.

Dead Rising: CTYD says "Hi". :P

Lylat Wars, Killer 7, and Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles are all on-rails, but they're all different, and they're all amazing in their own right.

Watching that trailer, I think that there is a lot of potential here. I'm pleased that the Wii is getting this game, and it has the potential to be even more atmospheric than the first game, if it is done right.

The makers are giving us something different to the original version, and it's exclusive. If this sells well, maybe they'll give us another Dead Space game.

So, don't be quick to jump to negative conclusions. Give this more time, and I'm sure it'll be something special.

Right, guys. I suggest you all look at Dante's post on "Whats Killing The Video Game Business. The fact is, along with the vast majority of publishers and developers, EA are feeling the pinch of rising development costs, and Wii is presenting itself as a more profitable alternative, factor in a quicker development cycle and ultimately a you've got faster cash flow for EA.

Fact is, an on-rails game will require far less TIME, RESOURCES and MONEY to build than a full fledged 3D extravaganza.

Yes, i'd have liked that extravaganza, but honestly, if its a choice between a quick cash-in baby-sitting or waggle-fest sports party game, or a quick cash-in on-rails Dead Space horror shooter, i know where my breads buttered.

Bring it the fuck on EA. Scare me shitless.

Great, they turn to the Wii when they want money, what else is new. They Wii allows devs to make games with less TIME, RESOURCES and MONEY without it being a light gun.

We're not saying it won't be a GREAT light gun game, but it sure as hell isn't Dead Space.