NEurope
MoogleViper

Mancrush thread

Dude, are you serious? Scientology is about some alien with an airplane dumping people in volcanoes.

Christanity is about virgin birth who went on to seemingly do nothing for 20-odd years then fed 5000 people and all kind of wacky things, be killed and came back from the dead and died again. If you live according to the bible you wouldn't be able to have a beard, most of your clothes would be unusable (mixed fibres), couldn't swear, stoned for adultery and if you wife tried to help you in a fight you'd have to cut her hand off.

The core of all religions is nutso. But if it gives you some belief and peace (or however you want to phrase it) then why should we argue. Tom Cruise has ruined the image of scientology but I genuinely believe there are people out there who may not take it all as fact, but rather believe in its core notions of caring and all that.

To paraphrase a documentary Takeo made me watch (Religousity (or something like that) which is suprisingly entertaining); "religions have to get wackier and wackier to get attention. They're all trying to outdo one another"

Christanity is about virgin birth who went on to seemingly do nothing for 20-odd years then feed 5000 people and all kind of wacky things, be killed and came back from the dead and died again. If you live according to the bible you wouldn't be able to have a beard, most of your clothes would be unusable (mixed fibres), couldn't swear, stoned for adultery and if you wife tried to help you in a fight you'd have to cut her hand off.

The core of all religions is nutso. But if it gives you some belief and peace (or however you want to phrase it) then why should we argue. Tom Cruise has ruined the image of scientology but I genuinely believe there are people out there who may not take it all as fact, but rather believe in its core notions of caring and all that.

I still think it's absurd to compare Scientology to an actual religion.

People shouldn't act as if it as a religion, it's a cult. Scientology uses celebs to drag in people who don't know any better, and ruins their lives.

People shouldn't act as if it as a religion, it's a cult. Scientology uses celebs to drag in people who don't know any better, and ruins their lives.

Scientology is an official religion though. Its a lot of public heresay and gossiping (which is again, something the bible states you can't do). You'd be suprised of the celebs who are scientologists but don't jump around about it;

Nancy Cartwright (Bart Simpson)

Giovanni Ribisi

Kirstie Alley

Lisa Marie Presley

Jeffrey Tambor

Jason Lee

Its like kaballah, it's fame/shock/media outrage shall fade.

All religions are essentially cults, which get people to believe in things which are so obviously not true.

Is religion not just a more widespread, well established cult?

Is religion not just a more widespread, well established cult?

In a way, I guess. But then what is a cult?

In a way, I guess. But then what is a cult?

A less widespread, less established religion. :D

I'd say a cult is a group of people loyally following an idea or belief. If this idea becomes more popular then more people start to follow it. As it grow people start to follow but not quite "by the book" so to speak. Anyway at some point along the way it becomes a religion. It's a grey area and I had a nap recently.

I'd say (after extensive research in it for an assignment) its pretty difficult to define "cult". Its become so muddied by popular usage nowadays that its basically a way for one person or group to label something as "undesirable" or "wrong".

“Since then the term has served “as a ‘rug’ under which were swept the troublesome and idiosyncratic religious experiences of mystics and other religious deviants…” (Richardson, 1978: 29)

“In recent years the term cult has become a widely used popular term, usually connoting some group that is at least unfamiliar and perhaps even disliked or feared (Dillon and Richardson, 1991). This popular use of the term has gained such credence and momentum that it has virtually swallowed up the moral natural meaning of the term from the sociology of religion.”

I'd say (after extensive research in it for an assignment) its pretty difficult to define "cult". Its become so muddied by popular usage nowadays that its basically a way for one person or group to label something as "undesirable" or "wrong".

“Since then the term has served “as a ‘rug’ under which were swept the troublesome and idiosyncratic religious experiences of mystics and other religious deviants…†(Richardson, 1978: 29)

“In recent years the term cult has become a widely used popular term, usually connoting some group that is at least unfamiliar and perhaps even disliked or feared (Dillon and Richardson, 1991). This popular use of the term has gained such credence and momentum that it has virtually swallowed up the moral natural meaning of the term from the sociology of religion.â€

Then, to me at least, Scientology is certainly a cult. I assume that for your assignment you did some research on Scientology as well? Then you know they're pretty evil. I'm not saying they did any Aum Shinrikyou-like stuff, but Scientology is not as clean as they make themselves out to be.

Anyway, sorry for my anti-scientologiness derailing the thread.:heh:

Right:

107668-1.jpg

Oh, that voice...

Then, to me at least, Scientology is certainly a cult. I assume that for your assignment you did some research on Scientology as well? Then you know they're pretty evil. I'm not saying they did any Aum Shinrikyou-like stuff, but Scientology is not as clean as they make themselves out to be.

Fundamentalist Christians/Muslims are quite evil aswell.

It's unfair to just pick out scientology. All religions are stupidly ridiculous (apart from maybe Buddhism, but still...)

Anyway, sorry for my anti-scientologiness derailing the thread.:heh:

Right:

107668-1.jpg

Oh, that voice...

My assignment was about Aum. So I was researching into the idea and theory behind what is a cult, rather than specific examples (other than Aum of course).

Anyway yes as nice as this tangent has been. Men. :p

I can't believe Will Smith is a scientologist... Fuck you scientology and stop brain washing my actors! If something sells faith, its not a religion. (and it isn't in a lot of countries)

If something sells faith, its not a religion.

The Church has been taking donations for 2000+ years...

And I'm pretty sure in medieval times you had to pay money to get priests to forgive your sins.

Scientology has just as much claim to being a religion as Christianity does.

Both are complete bullshit.

The Church has been taking donations for 2000+ years...

And I'm pretty sure in medieval times you had to pay money to get priests to forgive your sins.

Scientology has just as much claim to being a religion as Christianity does.

Both are complete bullshit.

A lovely post.

Donations being the keyword.

And we're not in medieval times any more, that's why scientology is ridiculous, a religion is usually something for uneducated and ignorant people to search for answers, something like scientology makes no sense by modern standards and hardly explains the mysteries of the universe, unlike most other religions that explained more than anything at the time. Also, most religions keep themselves vague at philosophical level which gives a different and personal interpretation for everyone, and in that sense, even The Force is a better religion than scientology.

Yeah religion threads are sick.

I can't believe I missed the Hamster/Tennant loves! I think I died a little inside. :(

Will you all shut the fuck up about religion or create your own thread.

Yeah religion threads are sick.

I can't believe I missed the Hamster/Tennant loves! I think I died a little inside. :(

Its not a religion!!

Roger Federer

roger_federer.jpg

He's just awesome in every way possible, incredibly stylish, classy, a perfect gentleman and great role model for the sport.

Two for me, Wenty for the eyes and cute-factor, Jared because he just seems perfect.

wentworth_miller_people.jpg

Jared_Leto--large-msg-117543906473j.jpg

Well, if I do have a mancrush, I'm not aware of it I guess. :heh: Though there are some males that I find extremely awesome*, Jack Black springing to mind. I dunno why, I just find him so cool! :D

*Disclaimer: This may, or may not, include people from this forum.

Oh, and by the way, please stop the religion talk.

Well, if I do have a mancrush, I'm not aware of it I guess. :heh:
You don't look at anyone and think 'that's a good looking guy'?