Real Life Morals In Game

Kirkatronics

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I follow my real life morals in games.

It's just my real morals aren't exactly nice.

In all seriousness though... depends what game. In Fallout 3 and role playing games I'm nice as pie, like in real life. In games where your actions don't affect the story as much (GTA series) I'm a bastard.

That has a worrying message though.

When playing GTA, I always try to be really good.

The game is actually really hard trying to drive properly - like observing all the traffic lights etc.

My brother does that, but only when we have 1 life each.. Its annoying as hell.

Its also weird, as thats the exact opposite point of it.

It depends.

I like role-playing in games. I remember playing through Spider-Man 2 for the zillionth time, intentionally being hit by Rhino and other shit-easy bosses, just to make it more realistic and fun. That's not really the same.

In games like Hulk: Ultimate Destruction (the game most like GTA I own), I alternated between destroying shit, kidnapping woman, then flicking their heads off, and patrolling the streets with All The Love.

It depends.

I like role-playing in games. I remember playing through Spider-Man 2 for the zillionth time, intentionally being hit by Rhino and other shit-easy bosses, just to make it more realistic and fun. That's not really the same.

In games like Hulk: Ultimate Destruction (the game most like GTA I own), I alternated between destroying shit, kidnapping woman, then flicking their heads off, and patrolling the streets with All The Love.

Heads, we're dancing. Just one more step to the top of the city.

I'd hypothesise that by and large we stick to who we are, and most of us (unless theres any closed Sadeians) are good people. But throwing in a little imp of the perverse im sure you could just as easily argue we're likely to indulge in some nastiness in games because it ain't real folks. Lets us exercise our demons.

Case in point; I can remember on Mario 64 I rescued the baby penguin and took it to its mother, got the star, picked up the baby penguin and dropped it off the edge to its death. I shall never do that to a real penguin though.

I would say I always play good characters in things like Morrowind and Oblivion - avoid House Telvanni, stay away from Morag Tong and the Dark Brotherhood etc. Same for that crappy KOTOR game.

I remember how when that one came out all my colleagues were saying "Oh yeah, I'm going to use so much force lightning on innocent bystanders!" I just thought that was pretty pathetic. True, games are escapism, but do you really need an outlet so much? Are you that buttoned-down in real life?

Plus, as Chairdriver said, it's actually really easy to screw around and be a bad character in the games, being good is the real challenge to live up to.

I got the idea for this thread from the fable2 thread

So I noticed :P

Usually yeah, GTAs and whatnot don't count, you're supposed to be an asshole there.

Still, most games if not all do morals wrong and it's like they keep doing them worse all the time, Fable being the main culprit. Why does everything need a slider and a number on it to tell you you're evil or that you're doing evil things?

Leave it open, then get out of my house. You're waking the witch.

I love the fact that as soon as I started reading this post Constellation Of The Heart started playing. Wasn't even on Kate Bush's life either. On general shuffle.

I love the opening drum beat to CotH. Like, you'd be a fool to not don your 90s lycra dance cossie after hearing it.

Am I going to have to (find a way of) seperate(ing) you boys? I mean really. One of you posts some obscure semi-related lyrics, the other follows, the first commends the second and then you both bum bjork :p

*Sad eyes*

bum bjork :p

Leave her out of this. You obviously have a problem with Kate Bush, and I wish you;d just admit it. I'll eat the music if it annoys you that much. :indeed:

Love and anger have but a fine line between them, The Holy Spirit! You can't just walk straight down the middle, you have to cross the burning bridge of conflict!

*leaves, as he can't deal with all them heavy peope*

:wink: : peace: :bowdown::heh::smile:

Leave her out of this. You obviously have a problem with Kate Bush, and I wish you;d just admit it. I'll eat the music if it annoys you that much. :indeed:

Love and anger have but a fine line between them, The Holy Spirit! You can't just walk straight down the middle, you have to cross the burning bridge of conflict!

*leaves, as he can't deal with all them heavy peope*

:wink: : peace: :bowdown::heh::smile:

I don't mind Kate Bush actually. Reminds me of my old landlady who I love :)

And I spend my life walking down the middle line. I was born in the middle, I play it well ;)

(and heavy? Im offended :p)

Ashley, you've got her wishin' you'd page her right now.

Her being Kate Bush. She wants you to see you suspended in gaffa, cloudbusting.

Who, since the 1980's, has owned a pager?