NEurope
ReZourceman

What Would You Call Your Spawnlings?

Que?

You referred to school and the work-place when it came to bullying, and I guess it's just a general idea that this is where it all takes place. Wouldn't bullying also take place within circles of friends, or in relationships, too? I think it's just the general idea that bullying happens in school.

I've never been bullied. I do however continuously tease ReZ, but he brings it on himself, let's be honest here.*

*haha, that sentence could come straight from 'The memoirs of a bully'. I'm really not though!

This thread made me listen to Johnny Cash's 'A boy named Sue'. I really want to name my boy a girls name now. Laura.

I don't know what to do with that! :heh:

Whether or not everyone gets bullied is not a matter of opinion, now, is it? I'm stating from experience that I've never been bullied. Perhaps I'm the only one. But I'm the one keeping the statement "everyone gets bullied" from being true. I could of course experience it later in life.

Anyway, my point is just that while it is likely true that most people will go through tough periods in their lives and should be taught from childhood to cope with it, it's not necessarily good parenting to put them through tough times on purpose. But it's a question of how to raise kids, something I'm terrified of myself when I get to that point in life.

You referred to school and the work-place when it came to bullying, and I guess it's just a general idea that this is where it all takes place. Wouldn't bullying also take place within circles of friends, or in relationships, too? I think it's just the general idea that bullying happens in school.

Oh right yes thats what I was trying to get at. Bullying happens in so many social situations and is so prevalent I find it hard to believe that everyone doesn't at some point suffer from it (although later downgrading it to 'teasing' of some degree...but with the term still somewhere between 'teasing' (ie my frequent insulting of Dan's face) and 'bullying' ie something which actually can upset).

I do however continuously tease ReZ, but he brings it on himself, let's be honest here.

Oh really?

Oh right yes thats what I was trying to get at. Bullying happens in so many social situations and is so prevalent I find it hard to believe that everyone doesn't at some point suffer from it (although later downgrading it to 'teasing' of some degree...but with the term still somewhere between 'teasing' (ie my frequent insulting of Dan's face) and something which actually can upset).

Ah, I see your point now. I think we got things a little mixed up.

Oh really?

No Moogle! :heh: Mainly about him thinking he's ''funny internet person''.

Oh right yes thats what I was trying to get at. Bullying happens in so many social situations and is so prevalent I find it hard to believe that everyone doesn't at some point suffer from it (although later downgrading it to 'teasing' of some degree...but with the term still somewhere between 'teasing' (ie my frequent insulting of Dan's face) and 'bullying' ie something which actually can upset).

Ahh, "downgrading" it to teasing. Would that still be seen as bullying? I think bullying has more to do with the effect. Like, I could say one thing to one person, and the exact same thing to another. One may see it as teasing, and the other might feel offended or hurt.

No Moogle! :heh: Mainly about him thinking he's ''funny internet person''.

So if I said I was "funny internet person" would you tease me?

Yeah I think thats the problem. We all seem to have different definitions. As I see it;

Mocking - ReZ has the maturity of a gerbil (a non-serious insult, often used amongst friends. normally a one-off)

Teasing - Dan Dare's face fightens small children (similar to above but more frequent

Bullying - Insulting which actually hurts the person involved, intentional or otherwise.

Abuse - Intentional and frequent bullying.

Teasing - Dan Dare's face fightens small children (similar to above but more frequent

That happens with me. I used to be really good with small children and small animals. But ever since I went through puberty I scare them. Especially when I speak.

Yeah I think thats the problem. We all seem to have different definitions. As I see it;

Mocking - ReZ has the maturity of a gerbil (a non-serious insult, often used amongst friends. normally a one-off)

Bullying - Insulting which actually hurts the person involved, intentional or otherwise.

Abuse - Intentional and frequent bullying.

Your definition of abuse is the one I had for bullying. In Danish we don't have the exact same terms, so that's partly the source of the confusion.

So if I said I was "funny internet person" would you tease me?

Lol, how could I resist?

*Lets change tease to mock* I would mock you if you also did things like filming yourself slapping your own face, slowing it down, and then putting it on youtube. Oh and if you think Lego is better than 'books', I'll definitely mock you.

ReZ, you know I'm kidding! :) Well I'm not, but I am in the same way.

I think you're confusing mocking with factual statements....?

ReZ, you know I'm kidding! :) Well I'm not, but I am in the same way.

I was joking when I said LEGO was better than books.*

*Well....I prefer them to books, but books are more important. Heck without books = no LEGO instruction manuals. Couldn't be doing with that.

Anyway leave WSD out of this.

Well, I guess I just don't want my kids to have a generic/common name. There are dozens of Joãos wherever I go (also: John, Juan, Jean, Giovanni, Hans,...are all common names around the world). Anyway, I dislike not having an unique name.

I'd rather name my kids something unusual (although not ridiculous like Henriqueta)

That happens with me. I used to be really good with small children and small animals. But ever since I went through puberty I scare them. Especially when I speak.

That's why I hid up that tree at the meet.

i guess some people would view bullying as banter, and vise versa. ultimatly, its an agrressive move to tease some one (to lesser the opinions of them to potental mates increasing your chances). we have play fights while growing, why not play verbal aggression?

Most bullying/abuse of the continuous kind is often brought on by people with low self-esteem. They use bullying to make themselves feel better by making other people feel even worse. I really don't think it is/should be a necessary part of childhood/life. Most people will most likely be hurt sometimes by verbal attacks, and you have to learn to deal with that, but the very aggressive, continuous bullying/abuse directed at one individiual in particular with the sole intention of making his or her life miserable - THAT I don't find a necessary part of life.

Most bullying/abuse of the continuous kind is often brought on by people with low self-esteem. They use bullying to make themselves feel better by making other people feel even worse. I really don't think it is/should be a necessary part of childhood/life. Most people will most likely be hurt sometimes by verbal attacks, and you have to learn to deal with that, but the very aggressive, continuous bullying/abuse directed at one individiual in particular with the sole intention of making his or her life miserable - THAT I don't find a necessary part of life.

It scars some people for life, being bullied, so its definitely not necessary!

I got bullied, pretty much constantly, in school. I was THAT kid.. The one that everyone took a stab at. I had psoriasis, was really bad at PE cause of my arthritis, I'm somewhat overweight, and I had what they considered a foreign accent (I'm not originally from N.I)

I didn't have just a group of people that hated me, pretty much everyone did. It even dragged down to my sister, who was know as "her sister" and not by her real name, which was sad for her too.

I'll admit it did really hurt me at the time. I still have a LOT of social issues stemming from it. For example, people used to speak to me, just to hear my accent, and take the piss. I find it very difficult to introduce myself or say hello to people even now.

Saying all this, yes I have social issues, but im not really unhappy cause of it. Its just part of who I am I suppose.

...but with the term still somewhere between 'teasing' (ie my frequent insulting of Dan's face) and 'bullying' ie something which actually can upset).

But his face insults us first lolololo?