NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Emerald Emblem

The difference a year makes

I remember when people were saying that the 360 along with the Wii would cream Sony's PS3 after it's very poor start, yet here we are 1 year later, the PS3 is making a comeback and people have been converted or become sick of the 360's constant hardware troubles. Also the Wii appears to be losing appeal to a few of the hardcore crowd boosting both it's competitors but still looks like the runaway winner. Just my thoughts on the console war I wanted to share, the past year has been quite the year. Any thoughts?

well the PS3 is STILL getting creamed by the Wii and 360 so no change there but really who cares when it delivers so many good games at such an impressive rate.

And as much grief as i give the Wii, it is what it is and i love the pointer functionality (while simultaneously hating the accelerometer) and the Virtual Console and a handful of Wii specific games.

I cant say much for the 360 since i dont own one due to said hardware issues, but ive seen many a 360 game that i wouldnt mind having on the PS3

PS3 was getting beaten by 360 in Japan for seven weeks and PS3 is falling down in sales in US.

f06fpl.jpg

Personally the PS3 doesn't appeal to me at all. Anything I want I can get on 360. As for Wii, well i've given up on that completely. It's just aiming at an audience i'm not a part of. As far as I can tell nothing has changed.

I remember when people were saying that the 360 along with the Wii would cream Sony's PS3 after it's very poor start, yet here we are 1 year later, the PS3 is making a comeback and people have been converted or become sick of the 360's constant hardware troubles. Also the Wii appears to be losing appeal to a few of the hardcore crowd boosting both it's competitors but still looks like the runaway winner. Just my thoughts on the console war I wanted to share, the past year has been quite the year. Any thoughts?

Um, there's barely any change. The 360 still has twice the userbase of the PS3. PS3 sales are picking up in the US and 360 sales are picking up in Japan, Sony's console isn't likely to catch up for another couple of years at best.

I'm not saying the PS3 experience hasn't improved, or that it isn't in a better market position than it was. Sony have made less mistakes this year but they are still WAY behind. 2009 could well be their year to make a real dent in the market, the PS3 needs to drop in price first though.

I'd hardly say the PS3 is catching up.

360 has started to sell VERY well leading up to xmas in the states. Sony were banking on Metal Gear to be a massive system seller and that didn't go as planned, and now they're banking on LBP and Motorstorm to sell the console this christmas, but I don't know, i don't think those two are enough to challenge the 360, especially with the pricecuts and games like Lips which no doubt will sell well.

I'm quite surprised the PS3 has done so poorly this actually; i expected it to be outselling the 360 by now. Hmm.

Well the PS3 is only 2 years into it's 10 year life span and it has had a big price drop already, we'll be sure to know next year depending how the sales turn out.

PS3 needs a price drop. Simple as.

Agreed. I'd have one if they were £200-£250. I tried to pick up a 40GB at that price but local shops weren't playing ball.

Well the PS3 is only 2 years into it's 10 year life span and it has had a big price drop already, we'll be sure to know next year depending how the sales turn out.

Five, tops. Sony won't hang about with replacing it. I'm pretty sure the "10 years" was based on the PS1 and PS2 and how they continued to sell in to the next generation anyhow. The PS3 likely won't live on quite as well as those consoles did, once Sony replace it it's sales will shrivle and die like the Xbox/GameCube.

ps3 might not be top dog, but its by no means a slouch. i agree with daft, a price drop would be necicary. it seems to have more then a couple of good exclusives, but not enough to seel a £300 system.

I think Sony are banking on Resistance 2 for PS3 sales more. In the end it doesn't really matter how many users there are online, even the Wii has enough. You only need enough players to be able to get a game.

It's the companies however that worry about the user-base. As long as I keep getting the games I'm happy.

I think 2009 will be the year of the Wii (it better be), I don't think either of the other two can keep putting out this kind of quality games.

I think 2009 will be the year of the Wii (it better be), I don't think either of the other two can keep putting out this kind of quality games.

Brand new Zelda Wii with motion+ and same level attention to detail as SMG.

Beleive!

Yup PS3 has come a very long way. Been a good year for Sony. Record year for PSP so far as well.

Re the price cut:

The console sales numbers arent as important as they are made out to be much like mhz and bits which fanboys love to focus on. The key aspects Sony should focus on is to become profitable and innovate.

Its got the position of the high end system all to itself now especially since Ms cut their prices. They should continue to take advantage of it and use value as an advantage(keeps value). Wii like numbers arent going to happen at a high price obviously but if Sony can turn a profit we get all the nice things. :heh: Going after the 360 arcade is a bad idea. As I was telling FlameboyNE it seems that MS are struggling moreso getting newer users to go online. Could be the arcade unit is attracting people who dont care about alot of the next gen functions.

PS3 was getting beaten by 360 in Japan for seven weeks and PS3 is falling down in sales in US.

Except PS3 wiped out the 360 sales quickly. And has been selling fine ever since. But the weak period since late summer was terrible. Its on an upswing now in Japan. Outsold Wii once afew weeks ago and not far from it nowadays. Game sales also improving which is very good. Lets see if they can make up it.

I'd hardly say the PS3 is catching up.

360 has started to sell VERY well leading up to xmas in the states. Sony were banking on Metal Gear to be a massive system seller and that didn't go as planned

MGS4 sold a ton of PS3 and effectively rendered 360's earlier price cuts useless. Though technically it was alot more than MGS4 (GT5P, firmware, Blu-Ray winning, RROD).

I'm quite surprised the PS3 has done so poorly this actually; i expected it to be outselling the 360 by now. Hmm.

Actually its the other way round, most are surprised PS3 is selling as well as it is.

I also find it amusing that people int his thread are saying 360 is selling well or even mention it alongside the Wii. The 360 is not in the same league as Wii. 360 sales in Japan are non existant (helps PS3) and its outsold massively in its strongest regions by the Wii. It should be outselling PS3 5x times over or at least close to the Wii given its price. But its not lol.

Except PS3 wiped out the 360 sales quickly. And has been selling fine ever since. But the weak period since late summer was terrible. Its on an upswing now in Japan. Outsold Wii once afew weeks ago and not far from it nowadays. Game sales also improving which is very good. Lets see if they can make up it.

Yeah is going good again in Japan but what games do PS3,Wii & 360 have coming out in next month in Japan without AC & WK?

mc-3-consoles-weekly-line-103.png

mc-8-consoles-YOY-YTD-103.png

Yeah is going good again in Japan but what games do PS3,Wii & 360 have coming out in next month in Japan without AC & WK?

mc-3-consoles-weekly-line-103.png

mc-8-consoles-YOY-YTD-103.png

No clue. The japanese have very different taste. R2 was bigger than LBP. I thought Japan werent shooterholics.

I'm thinking you're projecting :P Tbh, most 360 and PS3 games are the same, then there's the matter of the few exclusives you prefer, so you can take the jump. PS3s free online and better hardware is a plus though. I'm happy with my 360 though *kisses 360*

Personally I think PS3 improved, but it's still my least fav of the 3

PS3 needs a price drop. Simple as.

Rumours are there will be one in March. But you know, rumours.

I'd like one for under £100 (mostly because I want a bluray player but am cheap). Don't think that'll happen for a while.

I'd like one for under £100 (mostly because I want a bluray player but am cheap). Don't think that'll happen for a while.

Given that the PSTwo's RRP is still over £100, I think you could be waiting a few years.

I also find it amusing that people int his thread are saying 360 is selling well or even mention it alongside the Wii. The 360 is not in the same league as Wii. 360 sales in Japan are non existant (helps PS3) and its outsold massively in its strongest regions by the Wii. It should be outselling PS3 5x times over or at least close to the Wii given its price. But its not lol.

I thought the 360 was only a couple of million units behind the Wii? The Wii is selling faster, but there still isn't a huge gap, the distance between the 360 and PS3 is about 5 times the distance between the Wii and 360. I would hardly call Microsoft's second console a failure, especially given they are actually turning a profit on it now...

I thought the 360 was only a couple of million units behind the Wii? The Wii is selling faster, but there still isn't a huge gap, the distance between the 360 and PS3 is about 5 times the distance between the Wii and 360. I would hardly call Microsoft's second console a failure, especially given they are actually turning a profit on it now...

Try over 14 million units. ;)

Haha, just realised how out of date the numbers i was looking at are!

Ok, ignore that post. I really need to look at the dates on these things

Sign in to follow this