NEurope
Slaggis

X-Factor 2008

I resent all this Jay Ell Ess hate. I think they did the cover of Hallelujah pretty damn well, and it sounded pretty sweet to me. Miss Burke just...sang it, but I didn't really feel anything.

And, sure, she has won and achieved her dream, but you also need to retain some bit of dignity as well, I feel. Tears are fine, but the blubbering and the inhaling and exhaling took the piss. It seemed very over the top and put on, rather like I feel about her singing.

My Mum rang me to tell me she voted for JLS, and did it on my behalf, as I was out on the town at the time, haha. Bless her.

Hmm this is very true. TBH I didn't like the Hallelujah covers either JLS or Alexandra did. I did however love the christmas songs they did - I mean surely that would suit a Christmas number 1 a lot better, no?

A Christmas song being the Christmas Number One.

You're just talking bollocks now. ;)

Sorry I'll just get back in my box again. :heh:

:(

ReZ, actually consider the situation she was in. It's not like a single song on a random date of her 15th world tour.

She'd just had a tonne of her personal dreams fulfilled in one night, the main one actually being life-changing.

It was actually the first finale where I felt the emotion was actually REALLY genuine, it's what she wanted, and it was obvious. I prefer her to no-personality Leona Lewis.

I totally agree, I was so emotional for her last night, you could see she was hugely overwhelmed by it all.

I didn't think it was too much at all, considering what had just happened to her (singing with Beyonce, winning the x-factor, getting a record deal, single just being released) all in one night!

So happy for her, she deserves this, just hoping her album next year isn't covered with the normal x-factor offerings.

So happy for her, she deserves this, just hoping her album next year isn't covered with the normal x-factor offerings.

And by that you mean songs written completely by someone else?

Don't expect too much.

I hope either the UltimateRickRoll or Get Buckley to #1 campaigns work.

Don't expect too much.

Not that I'm defending Alex as such, but...

I hate the , "you don't deserve any respect until you write your own songs" attitude. Fucks me off royally. To me, it makes no sense at all.

Singing and songwriting are different - if you can do both, then good for you. Does that mean people that write some fantastic songs, but then give them to a singer don't deserve any respect too? No.

--

Your hope is utterly pointless. They sell hundreds of thousands of copies in a week so there is literally no way you will find that many people who are bothered enough to actually go out and do something about it.

In my opinion someone who writes their own songs, puts their time, effort and passion into it, generally create better music. Music that actually means something.

Anyone can win a talent show, and a lot of people can sing. The fact these people only do well is because of the media's grip on the mass market.

Pointless hope, is better than none.

Don't expect too much.

+1

10charadahkjrhkfjge

In my opinion someone who writes their own songs, puts their time, effort and passion into it, generally create better music. Music that actually means something.

Anyone can win a talent show, and a lot of people can sing. The fact these people only do well is because of the media's grip on the mass market.

Pointless hope, is better than none.

I know you wont like this, but this is why I love Christina Aguilera so much, she cares about her music, and puts passion, heart and sole into it.

Saying that, people can be amazing singers, but have no talent at all in writing songs, which is where song writers come in...

Your forgetting the whole performance side of things....theres a lot more to music than the song part :/

Not that I'm defending Alex as such, but...

I hate the , "you don't deserve any respect until you write your own songs" attitude. Fucks me off royally. To me, it makes no sense at all.

Singing and songwriting are different - if you can do both, then good for you. Does that mean people that write some fantastic songs, but then give them to a singer don't deserve any respect too? No.

--

Your hope is utterly pointless. They sell hundreds of thousands of copies in a week so there is literally no way you will find that many people who are bothered enough to actually go out and do something about it.

I respect songwriters very much. What I don't respect are theses asshats that just take the songs and make a mockery of them.

Seriously, what has this girl accomplished? She is going to get given a bunch of songs to learn, a bunch of lyrics to sing and told how to sing them. What an accomplishment.

I respect songwriters very much. What I don't respect are theses asshats that just take the songs and make a mockery of them.

Seriously, what has this girl accomplished? She is going to get given a bunch of songs to learn, a bunch of lyrics to sing and told how to sing them. What an accomplishment.

Shes only just got a recording contract, what do you want her to have done by now?

i would have liked her to face the cameras and say "fuck this. i am not going to release that butchered version of hallelujah which would offend many people out there. i am going to write and release my own material".

but hey thats just me.

How do you know she cant write songs? the least these artists can do is write down some of their experiences, what they would like to sing about etc and then the songwriters can work from there. Its blatantly obvious they dont in alot of songs these days. Its all love this, love that, break up blah blah. Which works because we all go through them, but where's the personal touch?

Thats why i like certain artists like Avril Lavigne and Miley Cyrus. Yes, many of you will disagree, but to me you can just tell they have written or at the very least co-written their songs because the personality shines through. Britney, Christina, Beyonce, even Girls Aloud etc all have similarly great personas that come accross through their music. Leona Lewis, Gateth Gates and Will Young do not. They are drones, robots singing some words.

Writing your own songs makes a lot of difference. The more input the better. Its just too obvious these show winners do not get any say and their careers suffer for it.

Well I would love to see a whole new show where it was for songwriters, whom each week would write a song for an individual artist who, every saturday, would sing a whole show's worth of new songs. The audience would vote for the best song, then teh songwriter would be through to the next week. Same singer, different writers. You know it sounds good.

Just seen that myself. Downloading the Buckley version now!

We won the MTV Awards, now it's round 2. COME ON INTERNET! : peace:

TBH i think this is new thread worthy, got to help the cause. ANYTHING to stop Cowell from scoring another Xmas #1

Nice! Except anything bought before monday (today, now) doesn't get counted towards this weeks chart, let alone the xmas #1 spot. Re-download it next monday and voila, job done.

Well I would love to see a whole new show where it was for songwriters, whom each week would write a song for an individual artist who, every saturday, would sing a whole show's worth of new songs. The audience would vote for the best song, then teh songwriter would be through to the next week. Same singer, different writers. You know it sounds good.

This would never happen for the same reason that only very famous songs/hits are ever played on X Factor.

So the public can remain engaged etc. Shame.

----

Also, JLS' Hallelujah was rubbish, because they turned it into a cheesy boyband ballad. As a song, I think it needs a rough edge, whether that be acheived through a powerful voice or a sensitive, thoughtful one. JLS didn't have that.

The reason Hallelujah doesn't work for the Burke that won it is because she sings it completely wrong. Listen to Buckley do it (live or rercording) you can hear how understated and reserved it is. It should not be done by raising your voice up and down several octaves, it's not a pop song.

Oh dear, just heard it for the first time just now. It's awful. Did they really have to do the more upbeat (really just louder I suppose) Westlife style part towards the end?

*Puts Jeff Buckley back on*

On another note, Leona Lewis' cover of Run is awesome, I actually love it. Not as good as the original by a long shot, but it's very different and works really well for her.

At least Alexandra's passionate voice resembles the actual songs needed emotion more than JLS' atrocious Boyzoneing of it.

Please don't cheesily smile at me while you sing Hallelujah, bastard.

I've heard Alex's Hallelujah and I love it, it sounds cool. Of course, the original is going to be better but she's done a brilliant job of it, I reckon (but I still want Geraldine McQueen to be #1, I don't wanna put more money in Simon Cowell's pocket, haha, but well done Alex :)). I like Leona's Run but it's being overplayed on the radio now.

The reason Hallelujah doesn't work for the Burke that won it is because she sings it completely wrong. Listen to Buckley do it (live or rercording) you can hear how understated and reserved it is. It should not be done by raising your voice up and down several octaves, it's not a pop song.
Yeah what's wrong with it is it's clear none of the finalists understood anything of what they were singing. To them they're just singing another song they've been given.

Heard it a few times on the radio today and aint really interested in listening to it!

Please don't cheesily smile at me while you sing Hallelujah, bastard.

I had that same thought. I feel better for them losing though, i'd like to think it's because they did a better job of ruining a great song than the girl.

You're all giving JLS a hard time, but why you all seem to love Alexandra's rousing Whitney'd/Westlife'd up, choir singing, christmas bell ringing, version is beyond me!

At least JLS kept it simpler and more true.