NEurope
EEVILMURRAY

Gears Grinded: Carbon Footprint

Is anyone actually doing anything to decrease their carbon footprint? A campaign which has been raping all forms of media recently, including some banging logic from a father over the reason for the standby light being red.

[even though it's orange on my Wii]

Personally, I'm doing fuck all. I may do some measures in the aim of saving my parents some money on their bills, since they pay for just about everything else, but I'm really not giving much of a shit about my carbon footprint. I like my TV on standby, it means a lazy 30cm reach to the remote to turn the TV from bed. Not the 3 metre trek to and from the TV to turn it on, to which I'm using the remote to change the channel anyway. The world may get into nasty trouble because of all this [plant some more trees] but I'm fairly confident in the fact I'll be dead when it gets too far.

I don't give a flying fuck about my "carbon footprint".

If I was to try and save money and "carbon emissions" by turning off everything, it would only end up being wasted by some old fart who dies suddenly one evening and leaves all their lights and appliances on, and isn't discovered for months so everything remains plugged in and turned on. So it's pointless.

I don't give a crap about my carbon footprint. However i do tend to turn eveything off at night at the plug (There's only one plug in my room). It's not because i care about my carbon footprint, just because i can't stand things humming, that and the little red lights scattered about the room.

I often turn everything off before I go to sleep mostly because of paranoia of something catching fire because of how many electronics I have in my room.

I turn my telly off in the livingroom when I'm not in there, and the one in the bedroom off in the daytime. That's about it.

It's not that "I don't give a fuck/crap about my carbon footprint" as I do feel somewhat concerned about it, but I don't feel compelled enough to do it except for monetary reasons. I have economic lamps around the house and turn off every one not necessary, and that's about it. I think its stupid everything now is on "Standby" and the companies who make this products should take care of this. Our electricity should come from clean sources in the first place.

Thing is these days stuff doesn't have an 'off' button. My TV and Dvd player you hit the power buttons and they go into stand-by. Bugger that am I going to unplug them every day.

I tend to do things that would be considered making your carbon footprint smaller, but mostly it's because I'm uni and my parents are paying the bills and I'd also get paranoid incase I had a fire.

I really can't be arsed, what difference is a few bottles being recycled against the huge stations in china, boo, when they turn off everything, I'll do the same.

Im same as alot of you, can't give a fuck about this carbon footprint shit and all this carbon is global warming going to destroy the world etc(in fact, I frankly don't believe it 100% having seen that documentary on channel 4 about it not being carbon caused, generally cos they provided me more evidence than I've ever seen from the proponents for carbon induced global warming). But yeah, I try sometimes, but tend to fail. I turn my TV off when I leave my room, but often have it on standby when I'm in here/at night(cos i sleep to the tv and so put on a sleep timer). Never really turn off the freeview box, and occasionally I fall asleep with my laptop on, but I also downloaded a sleep timer for that(which hibernates it, effectively turning it off). I'm recently trying to unplug/switch off my phone charger and any other transformers so they don't burn the little bits of leccie, and when I boil my kettle I boil it with just enough water. On the whole though, I'm probably quite shoddy at reducing my footprint. I DO get buses and walk everywhere, though that's because I have no other choice :D

I think I worked out once that at any given moment I'm wasting about 20-30W on average.

It's not just carbon that could be the cause; there's PCPs and aerosols that do the trick. Carbon just don't help :P

Anyway! I did a carbon footprint test a couple of years ago. If everyone on earth used the same amount of energy as me then we'd need two earths to sustain us. Apparantly the average westerner's result is four. But then, I don't drive anywhere, I don't go on holiday, I don't have a dishwasher or bath, I recycle as much as I can and I turn plugs off (in my room - given up on lounge :P) when I go to bed.

But I smoke :(

Guys you are all saying that you don't give a fuck about the earth etc but even if you don't you should for the bills coming in for you/parents...

http://campaigns.direct.gov.uk/actonco2/ for the government-made 'footprint tester. My co2 footprint is 0.4 a year. The target is 0.32 a year. The national average is 4.25 tonnes...

I don't know if the loft is insulated, and I don't know what grade our appliances are, so it might be lower.

There's another website to calculate it, but it says "please enter number of flights between 1 and 100"... basically I can't say I go on zero planes a year..

I'm fairly sure most of us said we were motivated by the monetary cost of the waste, I realise I didn't actually state that, but I am too. I work out my wastage to maybe cost like £30-£50 a year at overestimates, which is kinda sizeable and I'd like to reduce it, but I'll at least give my parents money to that tune if not more over the course of the year.

Somehow mine is 1.49?! I did it as the entire household though, so I dunno if that's affecting the household side of things(the one that scored most too).

Guys you are all saying that you don't give a fuck about the earth etc but even if you don't you should for the bills coming in for you/parents...

Pretty much.

Pffft. Carbon footprint.

Call me when you setup a thread about something that will actually affect me.

Hmm, my household recycles all plastic, tins and glass - and any rubbish is converted to heat enegry for the homes in the main town. I also rely almost entirely on the bus - but apart from that, I dont do much.

I only shut down my pc every couple of days so it can have a rest...

I do everything I can to save bills really, rather than reducing anything. Plus I catch public transport. In fact the only way I can think of me doing anything harmful is the rare occassion I use hairspray.

Hmm, my household recycles all plastic, tins and glass

I forgot I recycle, do tins, glass, paper, cardboard and plastic.

I also have the whole place kitted out with energy saving lightbulbs courtesy of my electricity provider.

Pffft. Carbon footprint.

Call me when you setup a thread about something that will actually affect me.

I see what you did there.

Does recylcing count towards the old carbon saving thing then? We do recycle, namely cos we have boxes and they collect from our doors and have practically forced us to cos they only collect no recylable every two weeks now, but even so we recycle cos it's good and stuff. In fact, I remember even when we was very little my parents used to collect the glass bottles and tins, then everyone once in a while I got to jump up and down on them crushing them to crap(the tins mind, not the bottles) then we'd run them down to the recycle thingies round the corner. Dropping bottles into the things and hearing them smash was fun too!

But yeah, we recyle plastic bottles, tins, glass, and use the bin for decomposable things as much as we can too. I'm also rather annoyed, all this thinking made me realise earlier, there's a non-energy saving lightbulb in one of the lights, and I want to know how and when it got there, cos I went and bought lots of energy savers and put them in all the lights I could :mad:

technically I don't think it does, but it's certainly eligible for some Eco-points :P

In our first year at uni shorty and I had this epic can-stomping sesh. We had saved up a crapload of empty tinnies and found the recycling bin to be fairly full... so we went nuts for about 5 minutes! Woppaa!

My mum has a compost heap thing. For no real reason. But we put banana peels, uncooked veg scraps, banana peels, apple cores, even tea bags into this smaller bin thing, then chuck it in the heap-bin-thing. Maybe mum's making fertiliser. Maybe she's a terrorist. Who knows! Well, probably not a terrorist. But some of the meals she used to cook were, I'm sure, considerably frightning. Ho ho ho.

there's a non-energy saving lightbulb in one of the lights, and I want to know how and when it got there, cos I went and bought lots of energy savers and put them in all the lights I could :mad:

Didn't your electric company supply you with oodles of energy saving bulbs?

We got some, but I replaced mine back. It was dark as fuck.

Yeah, they're not the brightest, they do increase in luminescance the longer they are on though.

Why do you people say "you don't give a fuck"? Why such a strong expression? Will you only give a fuck if you can't actually breath?