Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Punch-Out!!

Tellyn

Seeing someone else playing this, namely @Fused King, helped inspire me to get back into this again :smile:

I returned to it this morning for a Title Defence fight against King Hippo which, after several attempts, I finally nailed and so I've progressed to Piston Hondo.. wait what.. Hondo..? I never noticed that first time through but they've changed his name from Piston Honda? ::shrug:

Anyway, I've played him a few times now and I'm definitely improving so hopefully I'll beat him next time I play. It's an excellent game.. I just can't really understand why it always takes me so long to return to it each time. It's like I'm putting in months of preparation for each Box Office clash..

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely the chuck-mote combo.

I don't have a balance-board unfortunately, because that would make for one hell of a work-out.

Still pretty tiring with just the chuck-mote combo, though.

Especially when you just can't beat your opponent and it takes you at least 3 hours or so.

Muscly arms here I come!

Edited by Fused King

Haha.. yeh, my arms are a little sore this morning from beating the Hondo and having several attempts at Bear Hugger. I'll knock him out for good next time, though :heh: With Piston 'pistoff', the big Bear beast will be needing a serious hug with the amount of pain I'm gonna put him through :bouncy:

• 2 weeks later...

How are you getting on with this, @Fused King?

I took care of Don Flamenco and Aran Ryan last night in Title Defence Mode and was forced into dispatching Soda Popinksi with a TKO in the first round there now. Every time I let him into the fight I knew it was as good as over so I had to keep on top of him when I got his routine for the first round down to a fine art :grin:

Bald Bull awaits..

Not bad, not bad.

I am still at Glass Joe, as I haven´t played it since because I am in my testweek now....so lots of studying awaits.

I´ve been casually going through Cave Story on my Wii because I recently chose to restart it on normal mode because I kept dying on hard.

It´s much more charming not dying instantly when you get hit once :)

Anyway, I'll probably be giving Glass Joe the ol' left and defend my title a bit more before E3.

This is on my list of "to finish" games. It's a work of art! I loved what I had played of it, but it's so bluddy hard.

If anything, the difficulty really adds to the amazing satisfaction when you take down a powerful opponent. Every time I knock someone down I find myself taking a wee walk around my room, waggling the controls to regain some health and generally feeling a great deal of satisfaction :grin:

Awesome game :yay:

• 8 months later...

Played this last night, partly due to last week's announcement and Game Grumps have also been playing it lately. I didn't really play it much when it first came out for some reason. Got up to Soda Popinski before I really started having trouble. Almost got his pattern down but I had to give up for the night. Using the motion controls doesn't have give you a workout. ;)

The character-isms are fantastic, I like how they didn't add subtitles so you have no idea what they are saying. :laughing:

• 7 months later...
Hmmm, ....Aran Ryan wasn't as big of a problem, but now we have Soda Popinski.

Now that guy,....yeah that guy is seriously raping my reflexes giving a new definition to the phrase 'a split second'.

It's more like a split micro-second.

Ever since I claimed that Punch-Out!! helped SAVE MY LIFE last year, I don't actually think I've touched it since around that time :red:

I need to get it back on soon to see where I'm at but previous posts would suggest I'm just about where you are, though Soda Popinski has been destroyed :heh:

Right, so that was ol' Soda Pop.

Just like Nando, I fucked up that sonnab!tch in the first round.

Now, Bald Bull.....this game makes me cry sometimes :(

It's the ultimate form of masochism.

Edit: FUCK THIS GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Edited by Fused King

• 1 month later...

How are you getting on with this now, @Fused King?

I returned to it this morning after a considerable hiatus to take down Bald Bull in 'Title Defence'.. though he beat me plenty of times before I finally destroyed him :heh: In fairness, it felt pretty awesome having to BE BRAVE (like in Donkey Kong's Crash Course in Nintendo Land :indeed:) by resisting the urge to dodge when he was charging at you in order to land a satisfyingly meaty punch to gain a star. So good :yay:

My win-loss ratio is AWFUL but a couple of attempts at Super Macho Man leads me to think he'll be a little easier to dispose of, if I can keep my cool :hehe:

It's such a great game, which makes it all the more perplexing that I always seem to leave it for months at a time between sessions :eek:

Super Macho Man was relatively easy to take down in the end.. but it still took a while to get there :heh: I eventually took him down in Round 1 without taking any damage but it was basically achieved by going through the same pattern each time until I finally perfected it!

I'll wait until tomorrow to see what Mr. Sandman has to offer :hehe:

A TKO of posts from me in the last couple of days regarding Punch-Out!! :indeed:

Anyway, I beat Mr. Sandman in 3 rounds this afternoon to bring Title Defence to a close.. a close I actually wasn't anticipating. I had saw glimpses of a 'secret' fighter over the last few years, that I'm sure isn't all that secret for most of you, and I was sort of expecting that particular fight to appear after my latest victory.

However, it turns out that there's a mode I wasn't even aware of where this character could just appear at random. That seems fine, I guess, but I read up about Mac's Last Stand to discover that 3 defeats will end my career and basically lock that particular section of the game. Considering that would provide a serious risk to my chances of unlocking the 'secret' character in Exhibition Mode to battle any time, I've taken the opportunity to copy my save file to SD card in case I need to go back to it :heh:

Has anyone else fought, or beaten, the final character..?

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!