Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

New Job, Need Some Advice

fex

Ok, so I went for an Interview today and got the job woohoo! And I start on Monday. The only problem is I need my own equipment. The role is Graphic Design, and I'm in charge of a bi-monthly magazine.

I own a 3 year old iBook which isn't up for running doing the job. So I don't mind buying a Macbook Pro and eventually an external monitor to work from, then I have the option to take my computer home with me. So that is going to cost around £1200, but I don't mind that because I will get my own use from that.

Now software is the killer, I will need to have Photoshop, Indesign and Illustrator. I've spotted the Design Premium pack at £1500ish which is a killer, especially seen as I need to buy this myself. So I'm expected to spend around £3000 to start a job!? It's only once I got home after the interview that I realised how expensive this all would cost. He bumped the hourly rate up by an extra pound because of this, but that doesn't cover me seen as I need the software and hardware now.

I start on monday, and I'm not sure what to say because I won't have anything ready by then. I may have ordered my new computer but it wont of arrived (refurbished is what im looking at, more bang for buck) I have Photoshop etc installed on my iBook but they are naughty copies.

What do I say when I see him on Monday?

I'd tell him to stick his job where the sun doesn't shine! Its a ridiculous amount of money for you to have to pay out, why isn't the company paying for it? Sounds like an absolute con.

You don't say how much the rate is but have you worked out how long it would take you to cover your expense?

Is this sort of thing common in design jobs? I wouldn't go near something that asked me to pay out all that cash.

I worked for Hallmark before and they have all the equipment that you needed to use.

The company is very small, and don't have their own graphics department.

Im desperate for a job, and Graphic design jobs dont come around to often around here.

EDIT : The extra £1 an hour gives me an extra £1924 a year, enough for the laptop and an external monitor

He should surely have within his budget for the department money for equipment? They can't have just thought they get a person in and they magically bring with them everything that's needed.

If you wouldn't have bought that stuff anyway then I would say you seriously need to negotiate this a bit with him.

Hmm well you could think about it as an investment in your future, means you could always freelance if you ever needed to down the line.

Discuss it with your boss, show them the facts and figures, at least it will show that you've made an effort and maybe they could give you some pointers and/or assistance.

Seems a bit silly that they expect you to come up with the cash..:blank:

This is completely wrong. If they are employing you they have to provide you with the tools you need to do the job. Do all the other staff have to provide their own computers, copies of Office etc? If not then legally you don't have to either. Either way, it's terrible business-practice.

Thanks for your replies. I spoke to the guy over the phone once I had been home and totaled everything up. I quoted him the price and he was surprised how high it was. I know he doesn't have a massive knowledge that area. So I explained how I was never able to afford that, and he said don't worry about it, they would cover the costs (at least in software atm). And he said he would have no idea what to buy.

So anyway he said we would talk about it on monday. And I think im going to push for him to buy everything hardware and software. There are around 6/7 of them in the office all with computers and im sure none of them bought their own.

Thanks for your replies. I spoke to the guy over the phone once I had been home and totaled everything up. I quoted him the price and he was surprised how high it was. I know he doesn't have a massive knowledge that area. So I explained how I was never able to afford that, and he said don't worry about it, they would cover the costs (at least in software atm). And he said he would have no idea what to buy.

So anyway he said we would talk about it on monday. And I think im going to push for him to buy everything hardware and software. There are around 6/7 of them in the office all with computers and im sure none of them bought their own.

He sounds like a reasonable guy. He just doesn't know much about the subject.

Yeh I think thats the case.

My original thinking was to get a laptop, so I could take it home and use it for personal use (thats if I have to buy my own gear). But if I ever booked a holiday for two weeks, then they would be completely without anything to use. Same if I rang in sick, or even just quit.

I'll talk him through it and I think it's an investment the company need to make.